My 1200 calorie story

Options

Replies

• Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that MFP sets 1200 as a goal for most people not taking into account weight, height, calories consumed normally etc.

I eat 1200 but thats because I need approx 1400 to maintain, im 5 ft 4 lbs and quite petite, however someone who is 20 stone plus eating a 3,000 calorie a day diet is going to suffer badly on 1200, its just common sense, just reduce your calories by around 500 to what you were having originally. And in my case that takes me down to 1200.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    :drinker: As I former member of the 1200 club, seeing these posts (especially with the SLEW of 1200 calorie posts we get daily) pleases me greatly.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this about upping intake, when you increased from 1200 did you gain before you started losing? Did you maintain for a bit? Did things slow down? What was the transition period like and how long was it?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this about upping intake, when you increased from 1200 did you gain before you started losing? Did you maintain for a bit? Did things slow down? What was the transition period like and how long was it?

I started losing right away. But I slowly upped my intake by 150 calories per week so my body could adjust.
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great post. Was wondering how you are controlling your IBS with diet. I'm suffering with IBS and am having a hard time with everything I eat lately.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is my story, take it for what it is. Some will agree and some will disagree with what I am doing. I am not telling anyone to change but for those who are frustrated there are other options, that's all I want you to take away from this.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with what you are doing since it's obviously working. Congrats to you on finding the plan that works for you and thanks for sharing that story as an effort to help others.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that MFP sets 1200 as a goal for most people not taking into account weight, height, calories consumed normally etc.

I eat 1200 but thats because I need approx 1400 to maintain, im 5 ft 4 lbs and quite petite, however someone who is 20 stone plus eating a 3,000 calorie a day diet is going to suffer badly on 1200, its just common sense, just reduce your calories by around 500 to what you were having originally. And in my case that takes me down to 1200.

One of my favorite MFP friends is 5'0". She eats at least 1700 calories and has lost over 100 pounds. It's true that she works out/lifts weights like a beast, but it's possible you do gain on 1400 calories because your metabolism is shot. I don't know a whole whole lot about it to get into more specifics, but just know that it's possible for someone your height to eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It was very well written and informative. When I first started mfp I dropped 10 pounds, and that is all I wanted to lose. I started at the 1200 calorie place, too, but ate back exercise calories. I was really tired a lot. 1200 calories is not enough. Once I tried to transition into maintenance mode I was unsure of how much to eat. I have played around with the numbers and been pretty much confused. To add to the confusion I have been training for a marathon so not fueling properly is not an option. I am sure I have lost body fat and gained muscle, and as you may know muscle weighs more which further confuses things. I got a Fitbit Flex to help me out with how much I should be eating. It shows me how active I am for the day and takes the guesswork out of the equation. I have been eating more and feeling better. I used to run to eat, but now I eat to run. I give my body what it needs to do what I ask, and most days that is in the 2,000 calorie range. Good luck in finding the balance for you. You are doing great!
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!!!! I did the 1200 thing for a couple of month ... lost my first 20 lbs, then the loss slowed down dramatically .... I have toyed with the same 2 lbs for the last 2 weeks .....frustrated. So I figured my TDEE-20% puts me around 1495. On days that I do circuit training I go up to about 1600-1650. I am really hoping that this will help me break through the plateau....and keep on going - I still have about 45 lbs to go to put me at the top of the "healthy" range for BMI.

Also looking to see the responses to Tribe's questions - I have the same ones......
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    hF45B45C2
  • squishy84
    Options
    Hahaahaaaa! I love all the GIFs going on here! :)

I am so glad someone has helped to reassure me - this whole calorie counting thing drives me completely nuts. I've been working my butt off for three weeks and trying to eat as clean as possible and the scale hasn't even budged (yes, I know the whole "gaining muscle" story, but it's so disheartening!)
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm so glad that you shared your story. I think most people can agree that we can be quite obsessed with the number on the scale. Allowing it to make decisions for us. We get obsessed with the number of calories we've eaten and how they'll translate on the scale. This isn't a balanced life, no one can live like that forever. I'm so glad that you have found more of a balance and you're making sure to feed yourself. So important.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I did my BMR (1941) and my TDEE (3009) at 20% TDEE says I should have 2407 calories. That's hella scary! People, tell me is that right?? I'm struggles to just eat the 1670 MFP says I should eat. I, too, WAS one of those 1200 people.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Respect :heart:

And I feel guilty for being one of the 257846902840284 with the 1200 cal/day question, from today :laugh:

It seems as though MFP should just be VERY obvious about this when you sign up - then it would avoid the clutter of posts and clear up confusion right off the bat!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I've been feeling "off" for a while now - almost like I'm depressed. I wonder if that's a result of a reduction to 1200 calories that MFP suggested almost 2 months ago. Has anybody had this happen to them?

Yes. I was on 1200 for a while when I first started, and it left me feeling sickly, tired, and grumpy. Definitely reassess.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more! I started at 1200 & lost weight, but was equally tired & not quite right. I then hit a weight loss plateau. I calculated my TDEE & BMR and adjusted by calories accordingly with TDEE-20% deficit. I've continued to lose weight & now feel great & have tons of energy. I have spent most of the summer doing heavy gardening, landscaping, etc. That has included moving 20 yards of topsoil & mulch by the wheel barrel load, lifting heavy concrete pavers to build retaining walls & edge beds, plus planted a ton of shrubs, trees & perennials. I could never done that last summer, as I didn't have the energy & did NOT tolerate heat. This year it has been hard work, but not impossible. I've actually been quite proud of myself, as I've worked my 18-20-something year old nieces under the bench. They dropout & I keep going. We've completely redone/rebuilt my parents' yard & deck. I'm 54-y.o. & feel better than I have in more than a decade! It works!!!!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Spot on!! Thanks for sharing this! i hope the 1200 calorie/day eaters read this and do their own research! :flowerforyou:
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually really appreciate this post.....

Me too. Thanks for sharing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Yayy!! OP!!!!