My 1200 calorie story

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What am awesome story! Thanks for sharing because I have a TON of friends on here that eat only 1200 calories. I happily eat about 1700 calories at day, though I probably should up my intake as put in huge burns, it is just where to find those extra calories without jumping on the junk food train. I've started using protein shakes and shakeology to help bump up my calories now too! Good luck on your weight loss journey from here on out!

They might not only be eating 1,200. If they are working out and logging their exercise calories they might actually be taking in 1600-1700 per day in food.
  • Meadowbreeze
    Options
    Thanks for the thread. I've been going to bed way early and today I can hardly stay awake, I'm quite large and have been at 1200 cal/day before I even started MFP. It's been 3 weeks and I've lost 6 pounds. Sedentary. Today for the first time I gained 1.1 pounds (I weigh everyday before I do 15 minutes of easy exercise). Maybe if I up it just 50 calories every few days until I'm at 1450 or something (pulled that one from no-where) I'll feel better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So if my net goal was 1200 calories and I ate only 1200 calories, if I exercised, I should eat more to bring me back up out of the negatives?

This is what I'm trying to find out too! I can't get a clear answer. Do I eat BACK calories burned? Seems opposite to me. I'm new to all this and just trying to find out the right way. Everyone starts somewhere and learns please help us learn too

Yes, you should eat them back. MFP has already built in a deficit. You will lose weight at 1200 calories with no exercise. You burn more calories when you exercise, so you can eat that many more and still have the same deficit that you had before the exericse.

If you don't eat them back you risk not eating enough to get proper nutrition, which may lead to lethargy, depression or other physical symptoms. It may also lead to bingeing because you are simply too hungry to tolerate.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Could someone help me out?
    MFP suggested 1200 calories/ day to me. (Sedentary lifestyle, I exercise 4-5 times/week moderately, often just light jogging). I usually consume about 1221-1350 calories/day and only burn about 200/day. I have been steadily losing weight (about a pound/week) since May 1st. I feel great but is there something wrong with what I am doing?

So you are doing it right by only losing 1lb/week. That's what a doctor would recommend as well.

According to MFP anyone that works a desk job is considered sedentary even if they workout each day (it's what you do the other 23 hours/day) but someone that works on their feet (i.e. in a factory or in a restaurant) would not be considered sedentary.

If you are eating 1221-1350 (in total calories going into your body) you are actually doing it wrong.

Here's what it should look like for you:

1,221 (eaten)
    - 200 (workout)
    + 200 (eaten)
    1200 NET

So you've actually taken in a total of 1421 calories for the day and burned off 200 to NET 1200 but you actually took in more than 1200 so you'd be doing it right.

So if my net goal was 1200 calories and I ate only 1200 calories, if I exercised, I should eat more to bring me back up out of the negatives?

This is what I'm trying to find out too! I can't get a clear answer. Do I eat BACK calories burned? Seems opposite to me. I'm new to all this and just trying to find out the right way. Everyone starts somewhere and learns please help us learn too

Good question! Yes you need to eat your exercise calories back! That way you are fueling your healthy and active body.

So with my example if I did not eat mine back I'd be only fueling my body with less than 1,200 per day. Instead on days I get a great workout in I'm taking in 1,700 in food and actually NET 1,200. Since I try to do something active each day I'm never "only eating" 1,200. It's more like 1,600 to 1,700/day in actual food taken in throwing in a workout and NET 1,200.
  • unoriginalusername007
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Could someone help me out?
    MFP suggested 1200 calories/ day to me. (Sedentary lifestyle, I exercise 4-5 times/week moderately, often just light jogging). I usually consume about 1221-1350 calories/day and only burn about 200/day. I have been steadily losing weight (about a pound/week) since May 1st. I feel great but is there something wrong with what I am doing?

So you are doing it right by only losing 1lb/week. That's what a doctor would recommend as well.

According to MFP anyone that works a desk job is considered sedentary even if they workout each day (it's what you do the other 23 hours/day) but someone that works on their feet (i.e. in a factory or in a restaurant) would not be considered sedentary.

If you are eating 1221-1350 (in total calories going into your body) you are actually doing it wrong.

Here's what it should look like for you:

1,221 (eaten)
    - 200 (workout)
    + 200 (eaten)
    1200 NET

So you've actually taken in a total of 1421 calories for the day and burned off 200 to NET 1200 but you actually took in more than 1200 so you'd be doing it right.

Exactly. If you exercised, you are to eat back those exercise calories. So your actual intake for the day is not going to be 1200 calories when you've exercised, but your goal is to get your NET to 1200 calories. :happy:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yes. If your goal is set to 1200, you eat 1200. And then, if you work out, and you burn 200 calories, you eat 200 calories more. So total you EAT 1400 calories, and at the end of the day you've netted 1200.... cause 1400-200=1200 NET.

Make sense? :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Difference in the exercise calories for TDEE and MFP:

MFP is designed for its users to eat their exercise calories back. The formula can be found on the goal page. So if you are following MFP, then Yes. You eat them back.

TDEE includes your exercise calories. Even if you do -20% or whatever, it is still calculated in so No, you don't eat your exercise calories back.
  • HippieChickadee
    Options
    YAY! Thank you guys! I think I get it now!

For about a week then I've been eating about 1300 calories and burning 300-600 a day and NOT eating those back.

YIKES

I will eat back my calories burned now, I'll probably gain the 2 pounds I lost from my body being like FINALLY but I will hopefully even out and start losing again after.

Thank you for clarifying that :D
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It seems I've got a lot to learn! I only registered here a few days ago, and was told 1200 calories for a loss of 1 pound a week (sedentary, back problem only allows a bit of walking).
    MFP has such a write-up that I trusted their information. TBH my food this week hasn't been much different to what I'm used to...I was trying to lose weight on my own (very slow!)...I don't have problems with skin or hair or anything like that.

Why does mfp recommend 1200 cals if it's far too low? I admit I'm wary of upping my calories too much, but now I know about this, I'll be doing more reading, and will be willing to increase if necessary.

I'm off now to eat back todays exercise calories!

Thank you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For about a week then I've been eating about 1300 calories and burning 300-600 a day and NOT eating those back.

YIKES

I will eat back my calories burned now, I'll probably gain 2 pounds from my body being like FINALLY but I will hopefully even out and start losing again after.

Give whatever changes you do 4-6 weeks. It can take about that long to get your body settled to the change.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Yes. If your goal is set to 1200, you eat 1200. And then, if you work out, and you burn 200 calories, you eat 200 calories more. So total you EAT 1400 calories, and at the end of the day you've netted 1200.... cause 1400-200=1200 NET.

Make sense? :)

Good example. So, MFP provides a built in deficit using the concept of cutting out 3,500 calories/week to lose 1lb/week. So if you take in calories, workout, and you're in the red falling below goal you're actually eating a deficit to a already built in deficit. MFP provides a 500 calorie per day deficit to lose that 1lb/week. If you decide to be in the red (below) you're actually doing the program wrong and eating a deficit to a deficit. So that could be something like 500 (built in) + 400 (a workout) to equal eating a total of 900 calories below maintenance! Not good.

MFP does the math for you, there's no need to eat a deficit to a built in deficit! :flowerforyou:
  • Onesnap
    Options

YIKES

I will eat back my calories burned now, I'll probably gain 2 pounds from my body being like FINALLY but I will hopefully even out and start losing again after.

Give whatever changes you do 4-6 weeks. It can take about that long to get your body settled to the change.

Yes, so that means that there were plenty of days you were only NET 700! (that's not nearly enough fuel for your body to do the essentials--like run your organs properly).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    It seems I've got a lot to learn! I only registered here a few days ago, and was told 1200 calories for a loss of 1 pound a week (sedentary, back problem only allows a bit of walking).
    MFP has such a write-up that I trusted their information. TBH my food this week hasn't been much different to what I'm used to...I was trying to lose weight on my own (very slow!)...I don't have problems with skin or hair or anything like that.

Why does mfp recommend 1200 cals if it's far too low? I admit I'm wary of upping my calories too much, but now I know about this, I'll be doing more reading, and will be willing to increase if necessary.

I'm off now to eat back todays exercise calories!

Thank you.

So the 1,200 is not too low. Check out the great examples above. The 1,200 would be your intake in food if you sat on the entire couch the whole day and did not move. If you went for a walk or went to the gym you're actually taking in MORE than 1,200 in food.
  • HippieChickadee
    Options

YIKES

Yes, so that means that there were plenty of days you were only NET 700! (that's not nearly enough fuel for your body to do the essentials--like run your organs properly).

I was wondering why today (first time since I started) I'm so wiped out. I got on these forums to see if I needed a rest from my new runs or if I was doing something wrong with my calories. There's my answer.

Now I'm thinking- "What the heck stomach!? Not even a growl to let me know!?"
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

MFP has such a write-up that I trusted their information.

Why does mfp recommend 1200 cals if it's far too low?

MFP is a great tool. But like any tool, you have to know how to use it. If you choose the inappropriate things to input into it, you aren't using it right. If you don't eat back calories, you aren't using it right. The material is there to read to find out how to use it.
  • 2fabulous2Bunfit
    2fabulous2Bunfit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just did this and according to this, consuming about 400 calories ledd that I should be if I subtract 20% of my TDEE. CRAZY, worth a shot to help feel healthy as I try to get healthy!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My maintenence is 1380 but I end up eating around 1200 most of the time. I truly cannot fathom eating that many calories. When I go up to 1500 I gain weight and plateu around 125/126 lbs. If I go above that I end up closer to 130.

Is 1380 your maintenance or BMR? I am assuming BMR which means with no exercise your maintenance would be about 1660, more on days you exercise.

I just check and I accidentally chose to lose .5 lbs! That explains a lot. I have a desk job so I am not active at the moment though I am thinking about starting weight training. My new setting is 1,570 cal/day. But I swear when I eat there I end up 125 not that 125 is horrible for being 5'6 but I like being closer to 120.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I was wondering why today (first time since I started) I'm so wiped out. I got on these forums to see if I needed a rest from my new runs or if I was doing something wrong with my calories. There's my answer.

Now I'm thinking- "What the heck stomach!? Not even a growl to let me know!?"

It's good you asked!!! :)

Just remember:

1,200 (food)
    - 200 (walk, burned calories)
    + 200 (more food)
    = 1,200 NET

But you actually took in 1,400 in food! :) But you're NET 1200 so still reaching your goals to lose 1lb/week. :)
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great Post - Congratulations! :-)
    Back in the day I used to lose weight on 1200-1300 calories, but I was always:

1. Hangry
    2. Tired
    3. Weak
    4. Wondering when my resolve would 'break' and I would go back to my old habits.

Now.. I eat between my BMR and TDEE and I have not looked back!
  • rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How do I figure out my TDEE and BMR? I was given a 1,200 goal by MFP too. However, I'm very short, only 5 ft. tall and I need to lose a lot of weight. 93 more lbs. Isn't it possible that everyone is different, depending on your height and activity level? I'm only lighty active. I lift 5lb weights about a half an hour a day, which doesn't burn much, and my job is pretty sedatary. There's no way I can do a 2,000 or even 1,800 calorie goal, that's aboout what I've been eating all along, it's what made me put all this weight on to begin with. I don't notice any of these symptoms at all, in fact, oddly the VOLUME of food I'm eating now is much more than when I was eating 2,000 calories. 1,200 fills me up and I never feel hungry becuase I'm eating every three hours. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I appreciate your post. I think it's great that you figured out what's right for you; but now I'm just a little confused after reading this. I don't know if I should increase my number, or not, because I don't know what my BMR or TDEE is.