Walking to lose weight

Options

Replies

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Looking at calorie burns, I have to do it about twice as long as I do more strenuous stuff, like 30 Day Shred to burn the same number of calories. But then again it is easier and maybe more pleasant to walk, so I can do it longer. I'm not a power-walker, but I've still lost weight.

You are really young too. As you lose weight and get more into shape you'll be able to run again if that's what you want, and I think walking is a great warm-up for that. It sounds like you are being smart and not pushing it though.

No amount of exercise will make up for a really crappy diet. I've tried exercising and not watching calories and I maintained but didn't lose.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love walking on a steep incline, it does wonders for the *kitten*. :laugh: :wink:
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    me....walking is great for exercise and cant believe how my fitness and stamina have rocketed over the last year...especially the last 8 months....helps to live in hilly terrain, mind!! :-)
  • dpsumption
    dpsumption Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost just under 25 total lbs (some prior to finding MFP). I started on April 1, 2013 and decided it was time for a change. I have done it all from calorie counting using MFP and walking only, for my exercise. I also try to do outdoor yard work like mowing the lawn by push mower 2 times a week instead of riding the tractor to mow. I am out working in the garden more then in the past. I also try to keep moving, walking around the yard or in the house whenever I just feel like some quiet time and not on my normal walks.

Hope this helps!
    Dan
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50ish pounds by walking and of course, diet changes (since April of 2012). It's only been the past few months that I've gotten a gym membership. So with walking AND diet changes, it is definitely possible! Best of luck to you!
  • brittanynicole_86
    brittanynicole_86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks for the encouragement!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost 33 lbs. I walk a bit more than 1 hr. a day, usually about 4.5 - 5 miles. It's the only exercise I really enjoy, and it's great for helping me de-stress.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i love long walks. sometimes i will just walk 3 miles on the treadmill instead of running or going crazy having a huge burn and take it slow and i find the days where i have a slower burn are the ones where i am lightest the next day, perhaps because i dont feel like a hungry animal after a long walk :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! It helped me tremendously.
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and have arthritic knees so I am pretty concerned about running aggravating that condition, therefore I have been walking as my lone exercise so far. I started here in May and have lost 20 lbs so far. I have found myself in a plateau weight wise for the last few weeks but I think part of that was relaxing from finally getting to onderland. I am still under 200 but it has been going back and forth from 196 - 199. I started a beginners dumbbell routine but my elbow swelled up so I am holding off a bit on that. I also have a painful arthritic right wrist that makes pushups and the like difficult and painful. I am trying to step up my walking in intensity and time and will see how that works out. I don't currently weigh food and I imagine that some of my estimates are low which are a contributing factor to my plateau. I have seen a number of people successful on here with just walking and hopefully after you get closer to your goal you will be able to add other exercise to your routine. Whatever you choose, just keep moving more and eating less and you will get there! Good luck on your journey to a healthier you!
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My exercise is mostly walking--I'm just now starting to run a little. Good for me and my dog. :smile:
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I started walking a year ago, with a little jog at the end. Walking rocks!!
  • AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer that walking works. Due to a knee injury a long time ago, I will never be a runner. I started out in January not being able to walk for 10 minutes without a bunch of pain in both the hips and the legs. Now 6 months later I walk 7 miles a day, everyday! Get yourself a Fitbit or something that counts steps. It will motivate you and get you moving. Start slow (I could barely do 3500 steps a day) and build up from there. I now ride my bike and do zumba a couple times a week because I have too much energy. Oh and of course you need to eat healthy! It all has to fit together to make it work.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 58 lbs and my main form of exercise is walking. As long as you are moving, and reducing calories, it will work :smile:
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker (not in the walking dead sense) I love to walk, especially on sunny autumn days :) If I need something from the shop I'll walk to the furthest one, it also saves on bus fare lol I've lost 66lb through waling and occasionally doing my exercise DVD which is only 30mins. Good luck with your goals :)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much used walking as my only exercise until about 5 weeks ago when I started the Couch to 5K. I still mainly walk as the early weeks of this programme is a lot of walking with a little running.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    exercise is exercise, power walk and use your arms try walking uphill, strap on some ankle weights!

I forgot about ankle weights! I used to have some when I lived overseas...maybe I left them there. I am doing a lot of walking lately (granted, I just started this journey a couple weeks ago...) Usually between 1-3 depending on how late I get up. I try to make sure I'm going about 3mph at least (20 minute mile). I'm trying to jog a 5k in 1.5 months for my first time and I'm over 110 pounds over my goal weight....so I know how hard it can be. Each day, I'm planning on jogging a slightly smaller stretch of my walk.
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I started in November, walking was my primary exercise. I started eating cleaner, logged everything and walked a mile on my lunch break 3-4 times a week. I would also do some of the Biggest Loser exercises on the Wii Fit about 3-4 days/ week. I lost 20 pounds in my first 2 months.

With a proper diet and walking, you will see results. Good Luck! And feel free to friend me if you're looking for support :)
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I lost a good 35ish lbs with walking my dog and paying some attention to what I'm eating. I walk around 6-8 miles every day now.

e. Oh, forgot to mention that you should listen to audiobooks or podcasts if it ever gets boring. You don't even notice how much you've walked when you're engrossed in a good book.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs from watching what I eat and almost exclusively walking. I started with just taking my dog for a couple of brisk walks each day. Eventually I started going to the HS track and slowly built up my speed and distance. I worked up to doing intervals of walking and sprinting.

I do lots of other things now, but one of my favorite workouts is still power walking my neighborhood, which happens to be very hilly.

Keep moving.

Good luck!
    MB

What's HS track?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!