Walking to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Lepouxo
    Lepouxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Walking is working for me. Lost 20 lbs in 4 months. I walk on average 5 miles per day during the week and up to 8 miles during the week end.
    I walk 45 mins on my way to work, 15-20 mins at lunch time and 20-30 mins after work.
    I love it.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    For right now walking is my main exercise. When I first started I was not able to walk more then 15/20 minutes at a very slow pace. Now I'm walking almost every day, and can walk at a brisk past (3.5) for 50-60 minutes.

I'm losing steadily 1 or 2 lbs per week, on 1400-1600 calories.

BTW - I'm 61 and I had several serious knee, ankle and heel problems which has almost completely disappeared with the weight loss and walking.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ...but my weight loss came from the change in my diet, not from walking. change your diet and you will lost weight with or without walking.

This is the same for me.

I started walking as of the first of the year, then on Memorial Day I bought a Fitbit One. I did not see any weight loss even though I did see that my stamina was increasing. Only when I started recording everything I ate here on MFP in mid-June did I see any weight loss. Both the FitBit and MFP let me see that on days were I move more, I can eat more. I have a desk job and if I don't get many steps or stairs (hills count as stairs) then I have to be more selective about what I eat - maybe bulk up my meal with a salad so that I feel satisfied.
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I began MFP when my office did a 90 day biggest loser challenge and I like you was 100 lbs overweight. For the majority of that time I did a little weight lifting but not much. It was almost exclusively walking and I lost 37 lbs by the end of the competition. I walked because I have arthritic knees so I couldn't run. Now that I have lost that I have been able to pick up my pace and evebn jogged (albeit slow) some of my run. I have now converted to 60-40 weights over cardio to see if I get a different result. But I like walking but really miss jogging. Know matter how much I lose I will only be able to run so much and will always have walking to fall back to.
  • jackie455
    jackie455 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi
    i love to walk. i walk alot. i am now doin between 6-8 k daily or every other day.
    i use the app on my phone maymywalk. it track distance and speed its great. talks to you tells you when u reach each k. great.
    if you use this add me.
    good luck.
    Jackie
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how you guys can walk for 4 or 5 miles a day.
    I have a full time jobs and a 2 years old with very little time to myself. All I can squeeze in is 1.4 miles per day. No wonder I'm not losing any weight.
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    When I was sixteen, I had open heart surgery and the doctors told me that the best way to regain strength and stamina was through walking. I literally walked 10 km every single day (unless it was raining) and I lost about 20 pounds and then maintained that weight. Once I started college though, I got lazy and gave up walking. I'm hoping to start my regular walks and get back to the way I was before!
  • Alice_104
    Options
    I have been using Roca labs formula for 2.5 months. They recommend me to walk for 30 minutes every day at a constant speed. I've lost 50 lbs by now. I think walk help.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Walking is about the only exercise I get, it augments my eating plan. works for me.
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise has been walking , yesterday I went for myfirst real jog - I had to make sure that Ihad lost enough weight not to cause damage!
  • carried45
    carried45 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All of my exercise has been walking and I have been looking for a good app so I will try this one. Also looking for friends. Thanks
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! You can lose up to 2 pounds a week walking your dog 3 to 4 miles 5X a week. My golden and I did the same; he never got tired of going out for a walk!!!
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in 2 months. Walking was a great part of my daily routine. I could go for walks anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours 3.5mph to 5mph.

I was also doing circuit training and intense cardio aswell.

And watching what I eat and logging here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is largely a function of diet; exercise is for fitness...and yes, walking is and always has been a significant part of my fitness regimen. i pretty much walk, cycle, and swim at this point. I did a lot of running last spring and through the summer and it was very hard on my joints so I've taken more to lower impact forms of cardiovascular exercise
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    exercise is exercise, power walk and use your arms try walking uphill, strap on some ankle weights!

Walking is very good, strapping ankle weights is not; and the same applies to hand weights.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ankle-weights/AN01867
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=84
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes I only walked and did my cals on here. Prefer outside min 30 mins day but use Leslie Sansone in u tube in bad weather. Good luck
  • Capone1971
    Capone1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 stone by reducing carb/fat and walking. As soon as I stopped and went back to my old eating habits and doing no exercise I piled most of it back on again. I restarted the diet and walking at the beginning of September and walk for 30-60 mins per day. I use mapmywalk to track my workouts to give me distance and time. I tried the gym but didn't like it - I prefer to be in the fresh air having a chit chat with a friend. It also costs next to nothing.
  • paddgirl21
    paddgirl21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has come from watching what I eat and walking--but as a disclaimer--i did buy a heart rate monitor which more precisely calculates calories burned than MFP. Due to this little miracle device, it has helped me lose about 10 pounds a month. Very awesome. Without it, i was losing a lot slower because MFP would over calculate my burned calories. So, it is great, just make sure to have the correct tools in place and you will succeed.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Another walker here. I love my Fitbit. A bad hip and foot problems make walking my best option.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    of course walking can help loose weight, I lost over 40lbs over the summer & the only exercise I did really was walking. I use my heart rate monitor & just go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!