Walking to lose weight

Options

Replies

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    90% of my exercise is from walking. I have lost 71 lbs. since March 2012. 59 LBS. Since starting on here last September.
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    For me, walking is the only exercise I do, because I hate exercising. I love walking! I've been a little slack the last 2 months because walking in the Alabama heat just isn't pleasant. Once the cooler weather sets in though, I walk a couple of miles a day.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do !!!!!!!!!!!!! walk every day sometimes twice a day. I "fast" walk and I mean "FAST" walk 3 miles in 45 minutes. Sometimes I use a stop watch. And then I usually fast walk 2 to 3 more miles at night. THEN I do arm weights at nights ONLY during the commercials of my fav, show and then once a week I take in a Zumba class. But the Bulk of my weight loss and exercise is thru walking.
  • xnancyelizabeth
    xnancyelizabeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog the same twice a day and then I do a 60+ minute bike ride each day sometimes twice a day.. Helping me majorly losing weight lately.. Few mores pounds and then I hope to start running :-) good luck and keep positive :-)
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from work every day (unless I have to run some errand that requires driving). I lose weight.

If you don't want to be walking on the street, maybe the local mall has a walking club.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love walking and it's my primary exercise. Apart from not having a gym anywhere near me, I just hate being stuck inside exercising - I'd much rather be out in the fresh air, seeing nature, experiencing the seasons change. I try to get in 5 miles a day, though I've probably been down to 2 during the very hot days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome and definitely my favorite form of exercise!

That said, walking alone isn't going to help you lose weight. You probably know this but I think it needs to be said anyway. People always ask will this exercise or that exercise help you lose weight....well, sure, it might, but not if you don't have you food intake under control. A friend of mine is going through this right now. She exercises like a fiend but eats horribly and so the weight stays on. But she's not willing to track her food and make changes so what do you do? At least she knows MFP and her friends are here for her when she's ready.

Weight loss is 80% calorie intake, 20% exercise

And please for the love of good stuff do not wear ankle weights!! They can be really horrible for you, especially if you have joint problems, are obese or have an alignment problems.
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Its been working for me so far. I usually run most of the time, but walking at a fast pace is also good :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs from watching what I eat and almost exclusively walking. I started with just taking my dog for a couple of brisk walks each day. Eventually I started going to the HS track and slowly built up my speed and distance. I worked up to doing intervals of walking and sprinting.

I do lots of other things now, but one of my favorite workouts is still power walking my neighborhood, which happens to be very hilly.

Keep moving.

Good luck!
    MB

What's HS track?

High School race track
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a walker. Only recently have I started lifting again. The majority of my weight loss has been simple "get off your butt more" variety-- not powerwalking, not fast-pace walking, just walking. (I have major knee issues.)

It can be done-- diet's the first step, and then upping your activity more. Keep moving!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Roughly 80% of weight loss is by diet. Exercise helps, but it's what you eat or don't eat that creates a deficit. [Of course, exercise generally means you look better at the end]

My grandma walked every morning for years, when the weather was good. Yes, it helped her achieve and maintain a better weight that when she couldn't walk. It also helped her feel better, both physically and emotionally. It's okay if you can't run. Walk briskly. IT's by far better than sitting on the couch!
  • sugar_cube88
    Options
    I did, I didn't record my weight though. I was walking approx 6 mi a day, approx 6 days a week. And I was fitter and I got smaller. I didn't even realize at first. Just my clothing was looser.

I was so tired at the beginning and it would take about 2+ hrs to finish but after a while I'd be done under 1.5 hrs with tons of energy.
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    Bump
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just started making walking an hour 5x/week a priority when I get home from work. I also have a gym at my work I belong to and if I'm able, workout there also a couple x/week. I am also logging my calories every day, staying under 1370. I just recently started this regime and I'm going to do it until I plateau (would be nice if I didn't though). I could use some friends that are doing the same also! Good luck to everyone!:drinker:
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    Yes, at this point all I can do is walk. I walk every other day for two to two and a half hours with my dog. I have lost 42 pounds this way. :smile:
  • norcaligirl72
    norcaligirl72 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Keep moving no matter what you do! When I finally got back to hitting it at the gym I could only do 3 MPH on the treadmill... Yesterday I did 3.9 MPH on hill mode. JUST KEEP MOVING! : )
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    walking is how I started getting back into being active. Its a great place to build from
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost the 54lbs by walking. I've recently added in bike riding. Walking is great exercise and a great place to start. You can do it!
  • forgetmenot1000
    Options
    I commute 40 minutes to and from work every day, I've traded one trip a day for a walk home, sure it takes me 70 minutes - but I sleep better, feel better and the weight is coming off. I have to say though, diet and exercise combined was what it took to really make a difference, that and a positive mental attitude!
  • kitana42303
    kitana42303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes. I lost 30 pounds with walking 30 - 45 min a day being the majority of my exercise. The only other thing I did was use hand weights for 10 or 15 minutes while watching television at night. You can do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!