Slow weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• blue_eyes1978
    blue_eyes1978 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am not here to judge I am here for the same reason as you! I started here in 2015 and lost 4o pounds, fell off track loss of father in law then mother in law has added stress in my life and I stopped eating good and started consuming Bud Ritas along with Mikes Harder drink which has helped me gain 40 pounds back that I once lost. :( It makes me sad because I worked hard to lose that weight. I am trying to get started because I once figured out what worked but seemed to have lost it. I am here again to restart my weight loss goal once again. One thing I have done is looked at my past diary and decided to try to do what I once did. I will tweak some things since I have learned a lot along the way. I need to reset my body and get back into the fitness mind set. One of the first things I need to so is surround myself with like minded people and I love MFP for just that! Lots of knowledge and people here with the same goals in mind! I just know getting all the junk food and bad habits out of my daily routine is going to take some serious work on my part. I have been feeling pretty uncomfortable with this extra weigh back on and miss wearing all my nice things I worked hard to fit in. I hope you find the strength and what once worked for you. I think if you look in your past diaries it might help to get you whee you once were. I know that is my plan take care and get healthy!! :)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    I have been reading this whole thread - and I guess my question to you is what are you trying to get from this discussion? People have said everything they know about losing weight, and apparently you know all of this. If you are eating what MFP tell you to eat and you are not losing weight, then drop your calories by 100 and see what happens. Are you wanting everyone to agree there is something medically wrong with you? And then what? You still aren't losing weight, even if everyone agrees with you. You say you have met with Drs. and met with a nutritionist and you've gotten nothing from seeing them. Perhaps you will need to turn to bariatric surgery this time. I can only imagine how frustrated you are. And btw, if you want to look at my food diary, please do.

It took a lot for me to even begin this thread. I knew exactly what everyone was going to say. I guess I was hoping people that maybe had have similar stories with mine would be able to give me constructive help. Eat less this, eat more this. Dont eat at this time. Eat more breakfast. Exerecise more. Something helpful. Not "eat less" . You dont measure. Less cals is less weight. That isn't helpful. Or maybe someone would say "oh have the dr run this test".

The reason nobody said those things is because (perhaps apart from the doctor in some specific cases) none of them impact your weight loss. You can eat whichever foods you want, so more or less of a particular food will do nothing. It doesn't matter what time you eat. Of course exercise can help increase the calories you burn, but it's not a requirement for weight loss if you control your calories in.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters for weight loss is calories in <calories out.

Perfect. Did you look at my diary? I weigh about 310 pounds right now. I am 6 feet tall. Male, 41 years old. MFP tells me to eat 1940 cals a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I avg 1700-1900 a day, and have plateued. I lost 10 pounds the first 8 weeks, and now nothing.

I did actually look at your diary, but several other posters have already raised issues I would (such as appearing to log 1 piece, 1 package, 1 bun etc.) so I didn't repeat them.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nadizm0228 wrote: »
    stress much? sleep little? I ALWAYS stall when I don't get adequate sleep. And, when I'm stressed, I don't sleep well. Could be a factor that you haven't considered...

Very stressed. Not so much right now, but still am. I lost my job of 24 years last June and was unemployed until June this year. That is when I gained 55 pounds back.

You gained 55 pounds back after becoming employed in June? I wonder if your NEAT is much lower now that when you lost the 100 pounds before.

June of last year to June of this year.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I have been reading this whole thread - and I guess my question to you is what are you trying to get from this discussion? People have said everything they know about losing weight, and apparently you know all of this. If you are eating what MFP tell you to eat and you are not losing weight, then drop your calories by 100 and see what happens. Are you wanting everyone to agree there is something medically wrong with you? And then what? You still aren't losing weight, even if everyone agrees with you. You say you have met with Drs. and met with a nutritionist and you've gotten nothing from seeing them. Perhaps you will need to turn to bariatric surgery this time. I can only imagine how frustrated you are. And btw, if you want to look at my food diary, please do.

It took a lot for me to even begin this thread. I knew exactly what everyone was going to say. I guess I was hoping people that maybe had have similar stories with mine would be able to give me constructive help. Eat less this, eat more this. Dont eat at this time. Eat more breakfast. Exerecise more. Something helpful. Not "eat less" . You dont measure. Less cals is less weight. That isn't helpful. Or maybe someone would say "oh have the dr run this test".

The reason nobody said those things is because (perhaps apart from the doctor in some specific cases) none of them impact your weight loss. You can eat whichever foods you want, so more or less of a particular food will do nothing. It doesn't matter what time you eat. Of course exercise can help increase the calories you burn, but it's not a requirement for weight loss if you control your calories in.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters for weight loss is calories in <calories out.

Perfect. Did you look at my diary? I weigh about 310 pounds right now. I am 6 feet tall. Male, 41 years old. MFP tells me to eat 1940 cals a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I avg 1700-1900 a day, and have plateued. I lost 10 pounds the first 8 weeks, and now nothing.

Given your stats, if you're not losing weight eating 1700-1900 calories a day (over time), the only possible answer is that you're not eating 1700-1900 calories per day. It's obvious you don't want to hear that, but there's no other possible answer.

Even if you were an outlier in terms of metabolism and/or have experienced some degree of metabolic adaptation from dieting, there's no way it would be anywhere near 1000 calories/day (your projected TDEE is over 2800 calories, even at sedentary activity levels). I'm 15 years older than you and over 110 pounds lighter than you, and my weight would drop like a rock at 1700-1900 calories/day.
    I looked up calories for someone his on the NIH. Even if his Rmr did not uptick and he burned the calories of a sed guy. Maintanace is projected to be 2400. If you take into account regain. At a 50/50 fat to muscle ratio, just carrying the extra load would add about 300 cals to projected sed maintenance. That's just what i came up with. Very little science, just some research. Fat adds 3 cals a point and muscle 5-8..
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Hey i don’t really have any new advice for you. My best bets would be to cut out pre-packaged & convenience foods - maybe not completely, lots of people say 80/20 so 20% treats & convenience items (lunchables, pre-cooked stuff) and 80% straight up, I cooked all this oatmeal myself weighed the chicken raw etc.

But that is a ton of work and I feel tired just thinking about it. And having done this all before I can only imagine the frustration. Maybe that’s my future too. This is the first time I’ve successfully lost more than 10lbs.
    It's not a ton of work though. And the majority of people (no, not all) could very easily find the time in their schedules to shop for and make healthy meals if they valued their health more than they valued watching TV or fiddling around online or whatever time waster they get sucked into only to look up two hours later and realize it's time to go to bed.
    There are things that I'll do when I'm gung-ho that I know I won't do over the long term. For weight management, if I won't do it over the long term, there's no point in doing it in the short term.

OP, I've lost weight and kept it off by finding convenient things to eat that I like to eat and that keep me in my macro/calorie target range. The microwave is my go-to cooking tool. Most days, breakfast is a frozen sandwich, lunch is oatmeal and a pre-packaged boiled egg, dinner is a frozen dinner plus sauceless steam-in-bag veggies, and late-night snack is a protein bar. I drink tea between meals to keep my hands and mouth busy.

Ditto. My lunch each work day is a few servings of frozen veggies, some kind of grain (quinoa, potato, amaranth that I batch prepared on the weekend) and protein (usually chicken or canned tuna). I throw it all in a Pyrex dish and microwave it. Easy-peasey for me. I’m not much of a cook.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bodojones, the main thing ... don't give up! I looked at a month of your diary entries. I'm not going to comment on your weighing/measuring, logging, etc. because others have said it already. But I did have 4 things I do want to comment on.

1. You have not logged any water. You have commented that you do a fair amount of exercise. If you are in a water-deprived state, your body will not eliminate as it should because it's protecting you from dehydration. So, I recommend you track your intake and increase it a bit on days you exercise.
    2. Your sodium levels are off the charts! High sodium levels inhibit our kidneys from removing water from our bodies, puts an extra burden on our heart, and can lead to higher blood pressure. I recommend you re=evaluate your food choices to eliminate those that are high in sodium.
    3. The protein stats were almost always under, sometimes significantly. We need sufficient protein in order to maintain and build tissues and muscles, maintain good energy, maintain our immune functions, etc. I recommend you increase protein choices.
    4. You have little breakfast and huge snack segments. As you re=evaluate your food choices, I recommend you increase "good" choices in breakfast, lunch, and dinner ... and reduce the number of snacks.

Good Luck with your journey. :)