How to know whether you are loosing fat or muscles?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Aneeshn630 wrote: »
    But the thing now is the doubt how much protein should I be taking?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    Agree with the other comments. You can lose fat without losing muscle, but its a much slower process. I've been following a fat loss program for the past year (won't mention as not to be accused of trying to sell something), its been a frustrating ride, but even though my weight has basically remained the same, I've lost inches and not haven't lost any strength, in fact have increased my lifts. I will say, carbs are your friend, especially around training and protein, make sure you get enough lean protein. Good luck

Yeah I know u have been trying hard for the last 2 years, which includes walking 18 kms removing process sugar from my diets, suppressing my craving to eat chocolates and junk food and that definitely reduced my tummy from a good 45 inches to 36 and the amazing thing is I didn't do any exercise for my tummy. But the thing now is the doubt how much protein should I be taking? Am I loosing fat or muscles? Anyways from what I read from the previous comments I need to switch to weight training.

Yes, that is the one thing I failed to mention. I've focused on lifting, not a lot of cardio (unless its walking the dog)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Agree with the other comments. You can lose fat without losing muscle, but its a much slower process. I've been following a fat loss program for the past year (won't mention as not to be accused of trying to sell something), its been a frustrating ride, but even though my weight has basically remained the same, I've lost inches and not haven't lost any strength, in fact have increased my lifts. I will say, carbs are your friend, especially around training and protein, make sure you get enough lean protein. Good luck

Yeah I know u have been trying hard for the last 2 years, which includes walking 18 kms removing process sugar from my diets, suppressing my craving to eat chocolates and junk food and that definitely reduced my tummy from a good 45 inches to 36 and the amazing thing is I didn't do any exercise for my tummy. But the thing now is the doubt how much protein should I be taking? Am I loosing fat or muscles? Anyways from what I read from the previous comments I need to switch to weight training.

Don't get too caught up in what might have already happened. As you saw, I was corrected on the losing muscle part anyway :blush: There's no way to know. So just start doing the right stuff now. Eat a more balanced diet. Start to work more protein into your day little by little. Start to focus on strength training. Keep learning and moving forward!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do not use the BIA scale mentioned above. Get a hydrotank, bod pod, or dexa scan every 6 months if you really want to monitor fat vs muscle. These are the only proven reliable methods.
    Being certified means the trainer has studied and passed a test, but certification does not make a person infallible or sensible.

I had asked about this (BIA) when I began the program. At the time, through my pre-reading/etc., I had thought that only float tests (hydrostatic) were accurate. The gym some years ago was using arm calipers; they're fairly inaccurate as well. The device used now corrects previous flaws in the BIA technology. And is only a professional-level thing, not one of the oldstyle home monitors. Supposedly comparable to DEXA. I think access to the other tests (hydo, bod pod, dexa) is pretty limited; I'm in NJ.

So, being an older guy, I'm never sure if "woo" is a good thing or not. That is, is "woo" really "whoa!" or "woo-hoo!"
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Do not use the BIA scale mentioned above. Get a hydrotank, bod pod, or dexa scan every 6 months if you really want to monitor fat vs muscle. These are the only proven reliable methods.
    Being certified means the trainer has studied and passed a test, but certification does not make a person infallible or sensible.

I had asked about this (BIA) when I began the program. At the time, through my pre-reading/etc., I had thought that only float tests (hydrostatic) were accurate. The gym some years ago was using arm calipers; they're fairly inaccurate as well. The device used now corrects previous flaws in the BIA technology. And is only a professional-level thing, not one of the oldstyle home monitors. Supposedly comparable to DEXA. I think access to the other tests (hydo, bod pod, dexa) is pretty limited; I'm in NJ.

So, being an older guy, I'm never sure if "woo" is a good thing or not. That is, is "woo" really "whoa!" or "woo-hoo!"

At first we were told it could be either positive (woo-hoo!) or negative (woo-woo, like an old wives tale or snake oil). Then when they realized that was useless, they said it's negative. But I don't believe most people know that. I've gotten woo's on posts that really didn't seem to merit either one. And if someone's on the phone, it's easy to accidentally hit woo or hug as you're scrolling.

So ummm yes. Or either. :wink:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

At first we were told it could be either positive (woo-hoo!) or negative (woo-woo, like an old wives tale or snake oil). Then when they realized that was useless, they said it's negative. But I don't believe most people know that. I've gotten woo's on posts that really didn't seem to merit either one. And if someone's on the phone, it's easy to accidentally hit woo or hug as you're scrolling.

MFP, where everything is made up, and the "woo"s don't matter.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    edited August 2018
    When you lose weight, you always lose some fat and some muscle. To lose as little muscle as possible, it helps to avoid losing weight too quickly, eat a good amount of protein, and do strength training as you lose.

You may have lost more muscle than you would want to, but that's no reason to gain all the weight back :noway:

Start prioritizing strength training and eating a well-balanced diet with at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per pound of body weight. I would avoid that particular PT.

Wow thank you soo much for the reply I didn't know that I should take that much protein, so my weight is around 85kg so 0.8 per pound makes it close to 60 - 65 g of protein, wow that is a lot of protein I never knew I should have that much.

I eat 70g - 90g of protein a day easily. 1 egg for breakfast, tuna for lunch and some meat for dinner and I only eat 1,300 - 1,500 calories a day (depending on my exercise that day). I don't like protein shakes (I'm fussy) so I get all of it through diet alone.

My dairy is open if you want to see.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I love you for this.
  • TrishSeren

Yeah I know, have been trying hard for the last 2 years, which includes walking 18 kms removing process sugar from my diets, suppressing my craving to eat chocolates and junk food and that definitely reduced my tummy from a good 45 inches to 36 and the amazing thing is I didn't do any exercise for my tummy. But the thing now is the doubt how much protein should I be taking? Am I loosing fat or muscles? Anyways from what I read from the previous comments I need to switch to weight training.

Keep it simple. Eat more protein and find a weight training program that works for you, you can still supplement it with walking (I do) if you enjoy walking.

Also, ignore that PT's advice it's terrible advice.

Don't stress about losing muscle, you use your muscles every day to do all sorts of different things. Your body wouldn't suddenly lose a heap of muscle unless you're literally not using them (as in bedridden for example).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,715 Member
    edited August 2018
    When you lose weight, you always lose some fat and some muscle. To lose as little muscle as possible, it helps to avoid losing weight too quickly, eat a good amount of protein, and do strength training as you lose.

You may have lost more muscle than you would want to, but that's no reason to gain all the weight back :noway:

Start prioritizing strength training and eating a well-balanced diet with at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per pound of body weight. I would avoid that particular PT.

Wow thank you soo much for the reply I didn't know that I should take that much protein, so my weight is around 85kg so 0.8 per pound makes it close to 60 - 65 g of protein, wow that is a lot of protein I never knew I should have that much.

More strictly speaking, since protein is used to maintain our lean mass (and we don't need extra for our fat mass), you can calculate it as 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, which is a rough approximation for 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. If you have an accurate estimate of LBM (not from BIA!) you can use the latter instead. Extra protein, within reason, won't hurt a healthy person, as long as it doesn't drive out getting enough fats, and plenty of varied, colorful veggie/fruit servings daily (ideally 5-10+) for micronutrients and fiber, within calorie goal.

For someone obese (not necessarily you! ;) ), shooting for 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of current weight can be unnecessary, extreme, and well-nigh unachievable on limited calories without compromising balanced nutrition.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

I love you for this.
    I'm really enjoying "woo"ing all of these ;)

• Aneeshn630
    Aneeshn630 Posts: 27 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    But the thing now is the doubt how much protein should I be taking?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Thanks AnvilHead, that link was definitely useful.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    A few days back a personal trainer in the gym told me that I am being stupid and I am just losing muscles not weight. He suggested that I increase my weight back to my old weight and then take up personal training to properly reduce my weight.
    Okay, you're not the one being stupid here. The trainer is. Regaining the weight just so you can try to lose it again properly is an astonishingly bad idea. It's absolutely unnecessary, might not even work if you tried it, and has the potential to cause serious health problems.

If you've been doing a reasonable amount of cardio (30 min 3x/week or more), you probably haven't lost much muscle, if any. Remember, your heart and other parts of the cardiovascular system are muscle, too. :)
    Otherwise the skin will start to sag and a bit of sagging is there only a bit. I don't know what to do.
    The bad news is that your skin will tend to sag to some degree. The good news is that both cardio and weight training can help a lot with this - the more muscles under the skin, and the better toned those muscles are, the less it will sag. Other things that help are stretching activities like yoga, and a diet high in protein and rich in a variety of nutrients.
    I was an overweight person, close to 104kg, now with diet and exercise I have bought it down to 85Kg, my diet mainly consists of oats and 6 egg whites daily. In the gym I was not at all doing that much weight training but I was doing mostly cardio.
    Start prioritizing...... eating a well-balanced diet with at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per pound of body weight.

Actually, that would be 85kg (2.2 to convert to pounds) - 187lb = 112-150g of protein, which sounds about right. Personally, I'm aiming for 120g and I'm a middle aged short woman.

I do hope that you are eating more than oats and eggs. There's not enough nutritional balance in that and the weight loss is likely more muscle than would be ideal.
    I also hope you're eating much more than that.

Six egg whites at 3.6 grams of protein each = 21.6 gm protein

Oatmeal has about six grams per cup of cooked oatmeal; so you'd need to eat 6.5 cups of oatmeal per day to get 39 more grams of protein. That would give you 60 grams, and 60 grams of protein daily is the minimum amount an adult woman needs to avoid starvation.*

(*That's if I recall correctly, as I can't find the reference right now. And that's certainly not applicable to any and every adult woman any where. It comes from the amount that the UN says must be provided to prisoners in concentration camps, or the camp diet will be declared inhumane.)

I'm a 5'9" (175 cm) middle-aged woman; and I've found that less than 100 grams of protein per day makes me ill, ravenous, and extremely unpleasant to be around.
    I got demotivated when you work so hard to reduce... ...what I have been doing is it wrong?
    To me, it sounds like you're mostly doing great so far. You've lost 19 kilograms through diet and cardio, which is entirely deserving of celebration and congratulation:
    Woot!!! Good on ya'! Hurrah for Aneeshn!!! :)B):)<3:)B):)B)

And now you're ready to build your progress from here, by continuing with at least part of your cardio, reviewing your diet and nutrition plan, and taking up a sensibly designed weight training program. :)

• Aneeshn630

Yes, that is the one thing I failed to mention. I've focused on lifting, not a lot of cardio (unless its walking the dog)

Yep, that was definitely my mistake. Earlier I couldn't even run in a treadmill however after continious walking one day I realized that I became faster then I started running. Which was really a motivating factor like running for 10 to 20 mins continously was a dream for me. But then I stuck to it because treadmill doesn't require much effort you just, you know run. Learn from the mistakes I guess.
  • Aneeshn630
    TrishSeren wrote: »

I eat 70g - 90g of protein a day easily. 1 egg for breakfast, tuna for lunch and some meat for dinner and I only eat 1,300 - 1,500 calories a day (depending on my exercise that day). I don't like protein shakes (I'm fussy) so I get all of it through diet alone.

Hi TrishSeren, could you share that diet with me? I am unable to view your diary or maybe I am doing something wrong within the app. Anything I get will be helpful.
  • Aneeshn630

Don't get too caught up in what might have already happened. As you saw, I was corrected on the losing muscle part anyway :blush: There's no way to know. So just start doing the right stuff now. Eat a more balanced diet. Start to work more protein into your day little by little. Start to focus on strength training. Keep learning and moving forward!

Yes ma'am ☺️
  • Aneeshn630
    A few days back a personal trainer in the gym told me that I am being stupid and I am just losing muscles not weight. He suggested that I increase my weight back to my old weight and then take up personal training to properly reduce my weight.
    Okay, you're not the one being stupid here. The trainer is. Regaining the weight just so you can try to lose it again properly is an astonishingly bad idea. It's absolutely unnecessary, might not even work if you tried it, and has the potential to cause serious health problems.

If you've been doing a reasonable amount of cardio (30 min 3x/week or more), you probably haven't lost much muscle, if any. Remember, your heart and other parts of the cardiovascular system are muscle, too. :)
    Otherwise the skin will start to sag and a bit of sagging is there only a bit. I don't know what to do.
    The bad news is that your skin will tend to sag to some degree. The good news is that both cardio and weight training can help a lot with this - the more muscles under the skin, and the better toned those muscles are, the less it will sag. Other things that help are stretching activities like yoga, and a diet high in protein and rich in a variety of nutrients.
    I was an overweight person, close to 104kg, now with diet and exercise I have bought it down to 85Kg, my diet mainly consists of oats and 6 egg whites daily. In the gym I was not at all doing that much weight training but I was doing mostly cardio.
    Start prioritizing...... eating a well-balanced diet with at least 0.6-0.8g of protein per pound of body weight.

Actually, that would be 85kg (2.2 to convert to pounds) - 187lb = 112-150g of protein, which sounds about right. Personally, I'm aiming for 120g and I'm a middle aged short woman.

I do hope that you are eating more than oats and eggs. There's not enough nutritional balance in that and the weight loss is likely more muscle than would be ideal.
    I also hope you're eating much more than that.

Six egg whites at 3.6 grams of protein each = 21.6 gm protein

Oatmeal has about six grams per cup of cooked oatmeal; so you'd need to eat 6.5 cups of oatmeal per day to get 39 more grams of protein. That would give you 60 grams, and 60 grams of protein daily is the minimum amount an adult woman needs to avoid starvation.*

(*That's if I recall correctly, as I can't find the reference right now. And that's certainly not applicable to any and every adult woman any where. It comes from the amount that the UN says must be provided to prisoners in concentration camps, or the camp diet will be declared inhumane.)

I'm a 5'9" (175 cm) middle-aged woman; and I've found that less than 100 grams of protein per day makes me ill, ravenous, and extremely unpleasant to be around.
    I got demotivated when you work so hard to reduce... ...what I have been doing is it wrong?
    To me, it sounds like you're mostly doing great so far. You've lost 19 kilograms through diet and cardio, which is entirely deserving of celebration and congratulation:
    Woot!!! Good on ya'! Hurrah for Aneeshn!!! :)B):)<3:)B):)B)

And now you're ready to build your progress from here, by continuing with at least part of your cardio, reviewing your diet and nutrition plan, and taking up a sensibly designed weight training program. :)

Thanks for the motivation Evelyn_Gorfram, as for the food well that is the only thing I can think of that is healthy and doesn't require much time to prepare. I am not that much of a chef, just trying to be consistent with my diet. But Concentration Camp , prisioners diet?? 😭
  • Aneeshn630

Do you eat meat? If you do, 60g really isn't a lot. Other sources would be fish, eggs, dairy, beans & lentils, soy products, etc. There are smaller amounts in nuts, whole grains, and some veggies.
    bisky wrote: »
    You are doing great. You lost weight with diet and exercise. It takes a lot of muscle to move and support an overweight body. It is so easy to let one negative know it all get you off track....gain the weight back and then lose it? What are the qualifications for this person? Has any one else in the weight lifting group heard of this? It will not do your body any good to gain the weight back to lose. Your skin will get stretched out again. The great thing about muscle...you can rebuild it and strengthen it and you don't have to gain all your weight back to do this.

Thank you soo much for the motivation, I understood if I try to go back on my previous weight it will be stupid. The problem is weight training. I don't know what to do where to start, I need to do my homework.

This thread might help you get your homework started:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This community is assum, you are assum....thank you soo much for this link. BTW I do eat meat. But I am not good in cooking stuffs. I believe the way you cook things matters when your goal is weight loss. I will try to see if i can prepare meat in a healthy way with my limited knowledge of just cooking eggs and oats 😅
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Do you eat meat? If you do, 60g really isn't a lot. Other sources would be fish, eggs, dairy, beans & lentils, soy products, etc. There are smaller amounts in nuts, whole grains, and some veggies.
    bisky wrote: »
    You are doing great. You lost weight with diet and exercise. It takes a lot of muscle to move and support an overweight body. It is so easy to let one negative know it all get you off track....gain the weight back and then lose it? What are the qualifications for this person? Has any one else in the weight lifting group heard of this? It will not do your body any good to gain the weight back to lose. Your skin will get stretched out again. The great thing about muscle...you can rebuild it and strengthen it and you don't have to gain all your weight back to do this.

Thank you soo much for the motivation, I understood if I try to go back on my previous weight it will be stupid. The problem is weight training. I don't know what to do where to start, I need to do my homework.

This thread might help you get your homework started:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This community is assum, you are assum....thank you soo much for this link. BTW I do eat meat. But I am not good in cooking stuffs. I believe the way you cook things matters when your goal is weight loss. I will try to see if i can prepare meat in a healthy way with my limited knowledge of just cooking eggs and oats 😅

Meat can be easy and fun. Stuffed baked chicken breasts are amazing. I like things I can throw in the oven, set the timer and walk away until supper is ready. There are so many websites with recipes. I like Myfridgefood.com, because you can enter in what you already have in the house, and it will give you recipe ideas with those items. The recipe builder is fabulous. Weigh things out as you throw them into the pot/pan, and then while it's cooking, enter it into the builder. I like making extra, so that I've got left overs for a few days.

I have both a slow cooker and a 3-tier steamer, both are great for throwing things in and walking away until it's done.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Hi TrishSeren, could you share that diet with me? I am unable to view your diary or maybe I am doing something wrong within the app. Anything I get will be helpful.

Try this :)https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TrishSeren