Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I don’t think it was trying to scare me ... it was really interesting as opposed to scary

Meanwhile in your previous post
    I read that they made people drink Diet Coke and normal coke in some expeiriment and those drinking Diet Coke has raised insulin levels which is a scary though!

Insulin and glucagon expression and release are regulated on the basis of blood glucose level, not by your taste buds. People who have had their tounges cut out aren't suddenly diabetics incapable of insulin production.

Regardless can you explain why raised insulin levels are scary? I've heard people act like insulin is some sort of boogie man and I dont get it. Your body homeostatically regulates blood glucose levels because it is important for your cellular function to maintain a certain concentration of glucose.

When your blood glucose is too low your pancreas releases the hormone glucagon which triggers your cells to break down the storage molecule glycogen and liberate glucose into your blood. If your blood glucose is too high then your pancreas releases the hormone insulin which triggers your cells to uptake glucose from your blood and either utilize it for energy or store it as glycogen. That is it.

Having elevated insulin levels isnt scary...it just means your body is appropriately responding to your blood glucose level being too high. If that regulatory system is dysfunctional then you are diabetic...either because you cannot produce insulin (type I) or because your cells receptors dont bind insulin to transmit the signal for uptake (type II).

I get your first point, yes I sort of contradicted myself there whoops .. but the reason I find it scary that these diet sodas can raise insulin levels (if only drank in large quantities and certainly not for just one or two a day) Is that too much insulin can lead to serious health problems. Having high levels, also known as hyperinsulinemia, has been linked to obesity, heart disease and cancer (1, 2, 3). High blood insulin levels also cause your cells to become resistant to the hormone's effects.

I assume (1,2,3) is a citation list you didn't include and therefore I assume that was just copy paste from somewhere. Where are you copy pasting this from?

Appears to be from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/14-ways-to-lower-insulin
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ashhope94 wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised to see not one negative comment here. A year ago, my fiance's Dietician told her we had to cut all artificial sweeteners like Crystal Light and diet sodas out of our diet because it was contributing to her slow weight loss. So... was she just a quack?

Did the dietician explain how a zero calorie beverage was doing this?
  • BEASTFIELD314
    BEASTFIELD314 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Now that I started drinking Coke Zero (as well as Cherry Coke Zero and Vanilla Coke Zero), I can't stand the taste of regular. Same with the Dr. Peppers. For some reason, my taste buds hate the regular versions now.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I was wondering where that came from...

Interesting. Not one of those suggestions said to reduce zero/low calorie soda. In fact, it contained this tidbit:
    In contrast, the group who added artificially sweetened foods to their usual diet experienced a 3% decrease in fasting insulin levels

I read the entire article too (rolling my eyes a few times at all the woo along the way). I must have missed the part about reducing diet soda/artificial sweeteners too, because I didn't see any such thing anywhere in the whole article.

I did see that part about artificial sweeteners decreasing insulin levels, though. That's not a very compelling argument for the opinion put forth that artificial sweeteners increase insulin levels.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options

Hyperinsulinemia is an issue for type II diabetics, not for anyone else. Type II diabetes is characterized by low binding efficiency of cell receptors (INSR) that normally bind insulin and transmit a signal for cells to uptake glucose thereby lowering blood glucose level. This results in a normal amount of insulin not triggering a normal insulin response and as a result the body regulates the production of insulin. This has absolutely nothing to do with diet soda and is a total misdirect. Not even looking at your article as I am on my phone I can pretty safely assume that if those (1,2,3) citations if they are citing actual science at all are likely citing studies of type II diabetics and not in reference to diet soda consumption. If anyone can find what she is quoting from and look at those citations they can confirm if I am right about that or not.

Confirmed - all three references are scientific review articles in reference to type 2 diabetes (although the paper regarding cancer did also mention metabolic syndrome, PCOS, and obesity).

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I confess to have fallen dangerously in like of the relatively new Diet Coke Ginger Lime.