Clean Eating: no processed/refined foods, no high sugar/fat foods, or no foods with dirt on them?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    NadNight wrote: »
    Personally I think of it as things that have gone through minimal processing, whole foods, making things yourself rather than buying them in a box. If it comes with a load of ingredients you can't pronounce on the label then it's probably not great.

Some people wouldn't include cake and cookies if they were trying to eat clean but my interpretation would be to have cake/cookies but make it myself from scratch rather than buying something from the shop that has added preservatives or e-numbers or something.

If it's been synthesized in a laboratory, it's not 'clean'. If it's grown, natural or an extract of them (like milk, sugar or flour which are from natural sources) then it's fine.

The bolded is another one I don't understand. If the ingredients on the box are the same ones I'd use to make the same dish in my kitchen at home, why is it a problem (dietarily) to buy it in the box?

I'm all for good, balanced nutrition, but there are lots of different paths to that goal.
    glassyo wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Personally I think of it as things that have gone through minimal processing, whole foods, making things yourself rather than buying them in a box. If it comes with a load of ingredients you can't pronounce on the label then it's probably not great.

Some people wouldn't include cake and cookies if they were trying to eat clean but my interpretation would be to have cake/cookies but make it myself from scratch rather than buying something from the shop that has added preservatives or e-numbers or something.

If it's been synthesized in a laboratory, it's not 'clean'. If it's grown, natural or an extract of them (like milk, sugar or flour which are from natural sources) then it's fine.

I've always found the bolded silly. If my vocabulary is more extensive, or if I were a science-type, then the cookies are safe for me, because I can pronounce the words.

I have ALWAYS hated the can't pronounce the ingredients thing. It doesn't mean the ingredient is bad for you. It means you need Hooked on Phoenics.

I've always thought it boiled down to a fear of the unknown. If an ingredient name is big and long and complicated, it must be scary, right?

Aaaaaand they don't have google? :)

But, yeah, definitely that too. Of course, I'll eat any that's not spicy or disgusting sounding (like snails).

I'm fine with spicy, but have come to appreciate how my long-term vegetarianism saves me from trying nearly everything that just sounds icky. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The bolded is another one I don't understand. If the ingredients on the box are the same ones I'd use to make the same dish in my kitchen at home, why is it a problem (dietarily) to buy it in the box?

I'm all for good, balanced nutrition, but there are lots of different paths to that goal.

I've always found the bolded silly. If my vocabulary is more extensive, or if I were a science-type, then the cookies are safe for me, because I can pronounce the words.

I have ALWAYS hated the can't pronounce the ingredients thing. It doesn't mean the ingredient is bad for you. It means you need Hooked on Phoenics.

I've always thought it boiled down to a fear of the unknown. If an ingredient name is big and long and complicated, it must be scary, right?

But, yeah, definitely that too. Of course, I'll eat any that's not spicy or disgusting sounding (like snails).

I'm fine with spicy, but have come to appreciate how my long-term vegetarianism saves me from trying nearly everything that just sounds icky. ;)

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself to be a clean eater, and I do make some things from boxes.

Have you found it to be the case that everything in the box is ingredients you would use from home? Because I have not found this to be true. Boxed foods generally have preservatives to increase shelf life that you don't need when you are assembling everything yourself. They might have different stabilizers and emulsifiers. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with some things added, just that it hasn't been my experience that a box will match a from scratch recipe.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself to be a clean eater, and I do make some things from boxes.

Have you found it to be the case that everything in the box is ingredients you would use from home? Because I have not found this to be true. Boxed foods generally have preservatives to increase shelf life that you don't need when you are assembling everything yourself. They might have different stabilizers and emulsifiers. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with some things added, just that it hasn't been my experience that a box will match a from scratch recipe.

Some do, some don't.

I don't eat huge amounts of commercially prepared foods. When I do, I don't reject polysyllabic chemical-sounding ingredients out of hand, but I do read ingredients lists and think about what I want to eat. Context and dosage - to steal a phrase - is part of that assessment.

There exist commercial boxed foods that contain entirely ingredients I'd use if I made the dish myself. I have a food-snobby bias that actual food usually tastes better than engineered products, and that foods humans have eaten for centuries/millennia are evolution-tested for safety and nutritional effectiveness, generally speaking. Therefore, when I do buy a commercially prepared food (boxed, bagged, or frozen), I usually prefer to buy those foods that use ingredients I'd use in my kitchen to make a similar thing, at least mostly. They exist.

I find "avoid foods in boxes" to be nonsensical, as a rule of thumb. Read the ingredients and think about what you're buying and eating? That's a fine rule.

I'm objecting to "avoid boxed foods" for much the same reason people object to "shop the perimeter of the supermarket" and "avoid hard to pronounce ingredients". If one already has some ideas/prejudices about what kinds of things one wants to eat, maybe those are a sort of reminder (?). If one doesn't know much, they're silly rules of thumb that don't communicate what's really potentially meaningful about the foods. It doesn't help people; it just creates more confusion and food demonization.

Neither the box, nor making something at home, have much to do with the quality and value of a food. The ingredients quite possibly do, though.

• msdunny
    msdunny Posts: 12 Member
    [quote/]I love shopping in the bakery too![/quote]

Well...the bakery is one edge I skip. 😁 I don’t eat many sugary items, either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

Or if I have a lisp and can't pronounce spinach, I shouldn't eat it ???
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    msdunny wrote: »
    Rather than ‘clean eating’ I prefer saying I eat ‘whole foods’. Minimal processing, 5 or fewer ingredients that I can pronounce and know how to find them on my own. It isn’t about status for me. My mother and grandfather died of liver disease, which i believe was caused by unhealthy eating. I am trying to eat as healthy and whole as possible. I shop around the edges of the store and read every ingredient list.

I will repeat my earlier comment about this one:

I like "shop on the outside of the store". You know, where the bacon, bologna, fried chicken, donuts, pies and birthday cakes are...