Clean Eating: no processed/refined foods, no high sugar/fat foods, or no foods with dirt on them?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    msdunny wrote: »
    Rather than ‘clean eating’ I prefer saying I eat ‘whole foods’. Minimal processing, 5 or fewer ingredients that I can pronounce and know how to find them on my own. It isn’t about status for me. My mother and grandfather died of liver disease, which i believe was caused by unhealthy eating. I am trying to eat as healthy and whole as possible. I shop around the edges of the store and read every ingredient list.

if i just shopped the edges of the supermarket i use i would get....

salad stuff, mushrooms, peppers etc, coleslaw, potato salad, hummus and pre packaged sandwich meats....
    gluten free stuff... fresh cakes and bread from the bakery
    deli meat... warm chicken.... salad bar.... ooooh new fresh pizza counter... fresh fish and meat....
    and then the freezer aisle...

super clean, great logic @msdunny! :laugh:

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid processed foods and to buy organic and free range meat. Thats what it means to me. But, I do inevitably eat processed food.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think it means different things to different people, esp. considering we all have different goals. To me, it means cutting out processed food as much as I can, cutting back on sugar, and trying to get my nutes from as close to natural sources as possible. Sure, I have a bag of cookies and some ice cream for when the grand-daughter comes to visit, and sometimes I taste test it to make sure it's still good LOL - but that is only on occasion. BTW - I have problems with FODMAPs, so while I don't do Keto, I do eat lots of veggies and carbs from rice or potatoes only. No GMO or gluten/fructose wheat products.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't care what it is, because I have no plans to eat that way.
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I too am confused by the term clean eating. I for one am eating foods that are not processed as much as possible. I admit to butter and a few that are processed. But mostly staying away from processed foods, packaged foods. But I do not refer what I am following as Clean eating. And not sure why anyone would think so called Clean eating would have some type of magic or goodness over any other type someone is following.

Don't worry about butter! I make butter with nothing more than heavy cream, salt, and a mason jar. Not all that processed when it comes down to it :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    It varies with the individual. Someone follow keto will have a different description than someone who is vegetarian, or paleo, or even for those who feel everything in moderation is fine. That's why, in my opinion, the term clean eating is meaningless and trying to define it is a pointless exercise in futility.

Bingo!

Clean eating is about as meaningful as the Woo button that came after the Awesome button left.

Go over to Bobistheoilguy forums and one will see 'clean motor oil' as different meanings to different posters.

There is NO one way of eating that fits for ALL so what might be clean eating for one may be dirty eating for another.
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I LOL'd @ foods with no dirt on them...5 second rule g2g