Clean Eating: no processed/refined foods, no high sugar/fat foods, or no foods with dirt on them?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    paperpudding eating plan.

eat to round about your calorie allowance

eat a reasonably nutritionally balanced diet

Include food you like

Do not include foods you do not like.

Hmmm, needs a catchy name or some sort of upgrade before becoming a marketable product :o

You could make it all sciency sounding.

Consume your daily caloric needs to withing 10% of scientifically generated standardized weight loss figures

And so forth. And of course have it advertised with some random person wearing a lab coat.

Mention hormones and metabolism and you won't need to sound sciency. There are certain magic words that put people in a trance. You could do cortisol for food restrictions, leptin for nutritionally balanced, and metabolism for NEAT.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Yes amused monkey and VUA21 - presentation needs work.

Must get the jargon right :D:);)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,077 Member
    Options
    paperpudding eating plan.

eat to round about your calorie allowance

eat a reasonably nutritionally balanced diet

Include food you like

Do not include foods you do not like.

Hmmm, needs a catchy name or some sort of upgrade before becoming a marketable product :o

Eating plan?? Get off my lawn!!!!

;););)

JK.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Clean eating, for me, is whole foods, fresh veggies, fruits, meats (and for me the meats should be grass fed for beef, free range, for chicken...not sure about fish because it is not one of my favorite foods). If it has a looonnnnggg shelf life or things I cannot pronounce, I try to stay away. I have recently cut out refined and added sugar to my diet.

But to loop back to the main point of the thread, what is the foundation for these rules? What is the difference between these and the other sets of rules that people claim are "clean eating"? What keeps these, in your mind, from being arbitrary?

Also you may want to look up what "free range" and the like really means for chickens, because I guarantee it's not what you think.

Good point.

I think some people don't realize how little the term "free range" tells us about the living conditions of chickens prior to slaughter. A "free range" chicken only needs "access" to the outdoors (and not even for the full day or the majority of the day). The space allotted to outdoors can be very small and it doesn't have to include grass or any vegetation. There is no minimum outdoor space per chicken. And this is for birds killed for meat. For eggs, there is no current minimum legal definition -- anybody can call their eggs "free range."

Is meat from a chicken somehow "cleaner" if it goes outside to a gravel area 15 minutes every day? I don't understand how this could make a meaningful difference in the quality of the resulting meat.

Note: This is US-specific because that is where I am from. Obviously, different countries may have different legal standards.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Clean eating is when I don't need to change my shirt after a meal... ;)

I dirty eat, which is why I rarely wear white.

5 second rule for me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

5 second rule for me.

Our local restaurant automatically brings us extra napkins. Obviously not part of the clean eating crowd, or maybe we are- all the debris stays off our clothes. B)

Cheers, h.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    If it has a looonnnnggg shelf life or things I cannot pronounce, I try to stay away. I have recently cut out refined and added sugar to my diet.

Yes ,cutting refined sugar and added sugar products will go a long way to reducing calories for many people.

i havent done it myself, I just fit such things into my calorie allowance - but I can see how it is a good strategy for reducing calories and steering oneself more toward more healthy options.

Do you stay away from salt? It has a very long shelf life. so does things like tea leaves.About 2 years.

The "if I cant pronounce it plan" seems rather silly to me and has no basis in any logical thought.

There is a whole thread on that somewhere - worth reading to re consider whether such idea has any sense to it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

White shirt, serve tomatoes. Every time.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I remove my favorite white cardigan before eating beets.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I remove my favorite white cardigan before eating beets.

:open_mouth::wink: :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I learned not to wear a white shirt when eating barbecued ribs. Or spaghetti.