You need to relax

Which actually makes it worse
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Another good one: just stop doing that.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    OP: I have a wonderful husband who I love dearly. Last night he said something mean and I'm posting here to vent.
    6 pages of advice: DUMP HIM!

It’s crazy to me how quickly things turn to divorce online.

I read yesterday that a woman found out her husband had been going to the bar for an hour everyday after work and not actually working for that hour. So many people said leave him, he’s a liar. He’s probably cheating. What else could he be lying about etc.

And while yes, he lied, and that’s not okay, the bigger question is why does he feel he needs that hour and why didn’t he feel he could tell his wife that.

But according to Facebook he’s terrible and they are done.

imo that guy's lie was a good thing in the end. probably the best thing in fact.

if he was so unhappy in some way that he lied about something so minor then he's going to be a lot happier in the end once they're split up.

same for her. if it upset her so much to the point she vented online and may leave him at the advice of strangers...yeah she'd be better off without him too.
  • Benjie0808
    Benjie0808 Posts: 2 Member
    God never gives you more than you can handle. umm suicide
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Benjie0808 wrote: »
    God never gives you more than you can handle. umm suicide

right? I heard that line just last week.....

my reply: Tell that to Robin Williams
  • mph323 wrote: »
    OP: I have a wonderful husband who I love dearly. Last night he said something mean and I'm posting here to vent.

I read yesterday that a woman found out her husband had been going to the bar for an hour everyday after work and not actually working for that hour. So many people said leave him, he’s a liar. He’s probably cheating. What else could he be lying about etc.

And while yes, he lied, and that’s not okay, the bigger question is why does he feel he needs that hour and why didn’t he feel he could tell his wife that.

You are a wise woman.

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Smile, you'll feel better....(no I won't)
  • iMago wrote: »

imo that guy's lie was a good thing in the end. probably the best thing in fact.

if he was so unhappy in some way that he lied about something so minor then he's going to be a lot happier in the end once they're split up.

same for her. if it upset her so much to the point she vented online and may leave him at the advice of strangers...yeah she'd be better off without him too.

What if he's just really stressed out at work, and he didn't tell his wife, because he doesn't want her to worry?

A lot of men don't like to discuss their problems. They feel better when they meditate on their problem and find their own solution.

What if she's a stay at home mom? Or has a health problem that prevents her from working? Would she be better off without his income? Would her kids?

In bold - when people lie, do they feel better when it is something minor, or something major?

Should a family be broken up because of what you yourself said is something minor?
  • elsie6hickman
    iMago wrote: »

What if he's just really stressed out at work, and he didn't tell his wife, because he doesn't want her to worry?

A lot of men don't like to discuss their problems. They feel better when they meditate on their problem and find their own solution.

What if she's a stay at home mom? Or has a health problem that prevents her from working? Would she be better off without his income? Would her kids?

In bold - when people lie, do they feel better when it is something minor, or something major?

Should a family be broken up because of what you yourself said is something minor?

As someone who has been married a very long time - every one needs some time to themselves and some space. Maybe he just needs to decompress from his work day. Maybe she is the kind of woman who hits him with a lot of problems when he walks in the door. Maybe she starts complaining about the kids the minute he walks in. I don't think other people should jump to conclusions. Everyone has things they say they would never tolerate, until it happens to them. Because no one really knows what goes on in a marriage.
  • iMago wrote: »

As someone who has been married a very long time - every one needs some time to themselves and some space. Maybe he just needs to decompress from his work day. Maybe she is the kind of woman who hits him with a lot of problems when he walks in the door. Maybe she starts complaining about the kids the minute he walks in. I don't think other people should jump to conclusions. Everyone has things they say they would never tolerate, until it happens to them. Because no one really knows what goes on in a marriage.

Well said.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    "Time heals all wounds."
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    "You think you have it bad?" *Insert sob story here*
    Ok, so someone else is miserable, too. Is that supposed to make me feel better?
  • elsie6hickman
    "You think you have it bad?" *Insert sob story here*
    Ok, so someone else is miserable, too. Is that supposed to make me feel better?

My mother always used to say this to me. I swore that if I told her I was dying of cancer, she would have said that and told me about some else's sisters cousin who supposedly had it worse. And you are right - it never made me feel better - in fact that made me feel worse, because it reinforced for me that my mother cared more for strangers than she did about me.
  • elsie6hickman
    "If I were you, I'd____________." You are not me.