Stupid Advice That Everyone Gives

Replies

• St4rFire
    St4rFire Posts: 236 Member
    edited September 2018
    "You JUST gotta this, you JUST gotta that..." -- thanks for making my struggle seem trivial with a single word. 👍
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    "Don't date a coworker" look, I know but where the hell else do I go?
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Cheer up things could be worse...
    So I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    St4rFire wrote: »
    "You JUST gotta this, you JUST gotta that..." -- thanks for making my struggle seem trivial with a single word. 👍

I hate that saying in general. Most problems aren't as simple as people want them to be.
  • jennifer_417
    St4rFire wrote: »

just ignore them

I hate when people tell me to just ignore things.
  • jennifer_417
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    Girls like nice guys.

Some girls really do, but then watch those nice guys chase girls that treat them like garbage, until they get bitter and start acting like jerks.
  • Boba_14626 wrote: »
    Girls like nice guys.

Some girls really do, but then watch those nice guys chase girls that treat them like garbage, until they get bitter and start acting like jerks.

Right about that too.

Humans.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    "You'll be alright."

My husband says this to me all the time, and the way he says it is more like 'get over it' than it is sympathetic. I want to slap him in the mouth every time he says it... (Ok, not really, but it does majorly irk me.)
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Don't think of it as a problem, think of it as a challenge to be overcome.
  • St4rFire wrote: »

just ignore them

I hate when people tell me to just ignore things.

Why? When I ignore my problems they magically disappear.

Happiness is paying attention to the 90% of life that is going well, and not the 10% that is upsetting you. Because it is rare that all spheres of life are perfect at any given time. If you are always focused on fixing your problems, you won't have any time to enjoy the solutions to the other things you've figured out.

Ignoring problems is actually a good life strategy in SOME ways. If you can't change the problem, then focusing on it is just going to make you miserable.

Ignoring other problems can make them worse, however. It takes wisdom to figure out what to address and what to ignore.
  • KrissyBean615
    KrissyBean615 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2018
    "You can't love somebody else until you love yourself."
    I've always hated this statement. I really have never liked myself much at all, but I have loved and cared about many people above myself.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    "You can't love somebody else until you love yourself."
    I've always hated this statement. I really have never liked myself much at all, but I have loved and cared about many people above myself.

I think the more accurate version would be “you can’t expect people to love you if you won’t even love yourself”

I find that to be more accurate
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Sleep when the baby naps during the day!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Humans weren't meant to eat _________. Lately, it is grains with a lot of people trying the No Sugar No Grains diet, even though humans have been estimated to eat grains for as long as 100,000 years :|
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    someone else has it worse

Yeah, like that ever helps you when you are in the *kitten*.
  • deisebayer
    deisebayer Posts: 21 Member
    "Why don't you try losing some weight?"
    As if we will go like
    "Great idea!! Never thought of that before!"
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    "well, don't feel ___________________(PUT ANY EMOTION IN THERE)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    "Grow Up!"

... nope, ain't going to happen.