Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I dealt with it for nearly two years and tried EVERYTHING. Finally had to give up running. This helped. Jumper's straps will help mitigate the pain but only rest will eliminate it completely. A bad case can take 2/3 months of rest to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/Patella-Relief-Hiking-Basketball-Volleyball/dp/B013TIJ40Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1536609347&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=jumper's+knee+strap&psc=1

Thank you!!!! I will have to try these 😊

Have you seen a doctor now who diagnosed it as 'runners knee'?

No I can't go to the Dr right now because I have crappy insurance. But it feels exactly the same as it used to. It wasn't that long ago.

Where in the knee is the pain? Front or back, top or bottom. Can you describe the pain?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I dealt with it for nearly two years and tried EVERYTHING. Finally had to give up running. This helped. Jumper's straps will help mitigate the pain but only rest will eliminate it completely. A bad case can take 2/3 months of rest to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/Patella-Relief-Hiking-Basketball-Volleyball/dp/B013TIJ40Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1536609347&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=jumper's+knee+strap&psc=1

No I can't go to the Dr right now because I have crappy insurance. But it feels exactly the same as it used to. It wasn't that long ago.

I was just going to say don't use a brace unless it's been recommended by a doc/physio as it can do more harm than good.

Did a brace help last time?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Where in the knee is the pain? Front or back, top or bottom. Can you describe the pain?

It feels like the knee cap or behind the knee cap, it doesn't really hurt unless I move it in a certain way. Walking for example doesn't bother it at all but If I'm sitting down and then go to stand up it's difficult to stand and pretty painful, same with going up or down stairs but the down is worse, even just sitting in the car aggravates it because of the angle a car seat puts them in. The pain is hard to describe I guess I would say it's more sharp pain. Back when I was told it was runners knee they took an x ray and didn't see anything else wrong. Everyone in my family that is older has had double knee replacements and arthritic knees though, so I'm hoping I'm not doomed ? My long runs are on Saturdays, but by Monday the pain is completely gone, they just feel a little weird. It's been like that since my training so I've kept training since it goes away pretty quickly. In the past it did not, but I also didn't used to take rest days. I'm wondering if I can get by and finish the training because those rest days seem to be giving me enough to recover?
  • FL_Hiker
    Options

I was just going to say don't use a brace unless it's been recommended by a doc/physio as it can do more harm than good.

Did a brace help last time?

That's a really good point. I didn't use a brace last time because when I asked this Dr if I should he told me "it won't help, but it won't hurt. I wouldn't bother wearing a brace." I kind of want to try though and see for myself ?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Aw man, sorry to hear. I'd talk to a physio. Hopefully rest and stretching does the job (but not too long a rest!)
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    I will start out by saying I am 70 so different circumstances. I run about 6 miles a day and swim most mornings at least 5 days a week. My orthopedist and my PT said almost all knee pain is caused by muscular disbalance ITB to tight the outside of the knee hurts. Weakness in the quads and tight hamstrings the top of the knee cap hurts, weak muscles in the inner thigh and the inside of the knee hurts.

Now THIS sounds familiar! I do know I need to do more strenght training and expand my stretching (while I stretch, I am missing a lot of areas).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It feels like the knee cap or behind the knee cap, it doesn't really hurt unless I move it in a certain way. Walking for example doesn't bother it at all but If I'm sitting down and then go to stand up it's difficult to stand and pretty painful, same with going up or down stairs but the down is worse, even just sitting in the car aggravates it because of the angle a car seat puts them in. The pain is hard to describe I guess I would say it's more sharp pain. Back when I was told it was runners knee they took an x ray and didn't see anything else wrong. Everyone in my family that is older has had double knee replacements and arthritic knees though, so I'm hoping I'm not doomed ? My long runs are on Saturdays, but by Monday the pain is completely gone, they just feel a little weird. It's been like that since my training so I've kept training since it goes away pretty quickly. In the past it did not, but I also didn't used to take rest days. I'm wondering if I can get by and finish the training because those rest days seem to be giving me enough to recover?

Thanks. The challenge with saying runners knee is that there are at least seven different conditions that its a term for. What you're describing might suggest either Illiotibial Band Syndrome or patellar tendonopathy. It may be bursitis but that sounds less likely.

Given that a month ago you were posting about training plans and your low mileage was highlighted as an issue I'd suggest that you've got an overuse injury.

You're not going to like this answer, but first priority is rest until it's healed. That's probably at least a couple of weeks. Whilst you're not experiencing pain after a day, you're progressively making the damage worse by continuing to run on it.

In both potential issues you've then got to work on core strength. Some form of cross training is essential as what's probably contributing is weak hips.

I would suggest that you moderate your expectations of a marathon in November.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks. The challenge with saying runners knee is that there are at least seven different conditions that its a term for. What you're describing might suggest either Illiotibial Band Syndrome or patellar tendonopathy. It may be bursitis but that sounds less likely.

Given that a month ago you were posting about training plans and your low mileage was highlighted as an issue I'd suggest that you've got an overuse injury.

You're not going to like this answer, but first priority is rest until it's healed. That's probably at least a couple of weeks. Whilst you're not experiencing pain after a day, you're progressively making the damage worse by continuing to run on it.

In both potential issues you've then got to work on core strength. Some form of cross training is essential as what's probably contributing is weak hips.

I would suggest that you moderate your expectations of a marathon in November.

concur...i hate the diagnosis of runner's knee because it could mean many things...

@FLHiker - i understand you have a high deductible - but if you want to continue running, then you may (TBH) need to suck it up and get it diagnosed - it you continue running, you may be long-term damage that will cost more to remediate in the future
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm following the same marathon training plan you mentioned you are using. I'm not sure what week you are at with your training. I just completed week 13 (a total of 36 miles, with the long run at 18 miles). I can tell you it's getting pretty intense with the longer runs and this much mileage each week. I've been running pretty steadily for ~12 years and had a solid base before starting the training plan. The 16 and 18 mile runs, combined with an equivalent number of miles mid-week, has really challenged me.

Take my advice for what you will, but if I were injured (or starting to feel an injury coming on), at any point in my marathon training, I would back off on the running and aim to heal first and secondly to pick a race further out.

There are always races to run. :smile: I wish you all the best and hope you heal quickly and get back on track.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue going on right now and it's sooooo frustrating!! I don't run but I have been working out 7 days a week on my treadmill and doing a lot of running in place to get those extra steps in on my Fitbit. I was just really starting to like exercise and was heading towards beginning to jog. I also read that office workers can get what's called "runners knee." Yes, I'm an office worker. I tried riding my recumbent bike but that hurts. Going down stairs is a killer. I read about strengthening my quadriceps but I can't do squats because I will aggravate an old groin pull injury. Rest seems to be the only option. But for how long??? :/

@FL_Hiker, I hope you are better soon. I understand about the insurance thing. I'm on a self-pay plan and my deductible is super high so I really want to avoid the doctor if possible.

• FL_Hiker
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have this same issue going on right now and it's sooooo frustrating!! I don't run but I have been working out 7 days a week on my treadmill and doing a lot of running in place to get those extra steps in on my Fitbit. I was just really starting to like exercise and was heading towards beginning to jog. I also read that office workers can get what's called "runners knee." Yes, I'm an office worker. I tried riding my recumbent bike but that hurts. Going down stairs is a killer. I read about strengthening my quadriceps but I can't do squats because I will aggravate an old groin pull injury. Rest seems to be the only option. But for how long??? :/

@FL_Hiker, I hope you are better soon. I understand about the insurance thing. I'm on a self-pay plan and my deductible is super high so I really want to avoid the doctor if possible.

Thanks Teresa I hope our knees get better soon lol! Rest really is the best...
    I just can't give up, I'm going to keep pushing and try to judge it the best I can. I'm taking my runs a bit slower, also the marathon isn't until the end of janurary not November I picked a further out race to give myself more time. I went and ran 10 miles on my rest day last week with my friend and I think that probably didn't help either... I know it'd be smarter to call it quits and stop but I just won't. I wish there were some exercises or something I could do to help strengthen those other supporting muscle groups.
    Thanks y'all for the advice, I hope you don't have to say I told you so in a few months lol.