Yes you CAN gain weight

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Grambo54 wrote: »
    Thats great. You found what works. 60 pound the first year. You were never an ectomorph. How old were you "a few years ago" How old now? Soma types are not bull. Theres some truth to it.

How old was I a "few years ago"? I was about 45.

How old am I now? I'm 48.

I joined the Army at 19 at 136# and 6'1. I barely squeezed by entry at the MEPS and after several years of service I got out at the extremely bulky weight of 145#. I was stronger than I looked, as I had very low body fat - but I was still skinny as hell. My nickname in the Army was Pumpkin Head... after that cheap horror movie monster. I was an odd looking fellow to be sure. lol

I was able to get bigger in my 30's - but that was without logging and just eating everything I could stuff into my face. Including the classic GOMAD. I did lift back then, but it wasn't very structured. I got very sick a few years ago and ended back at about 130... still at 6'1. I got back up to 180 just eating but ended up skinny fat. I started lifting again and using MFP about two years ago. I'm currently 215# and about 18% body fat and ready for another cut starting next month. The heaviest I was last year around December was 240.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    @pinggolfer96 clueless about blatantly frequent & rude posts...go back & read what you type from time to time & take someone else's perspective/viewpoint every so often

Agreed with others posts mainly on many not considering how much NEAT really contributes to TDEE (not to mention NEAT is very difficult to consistently measure without technology). Massively under ate @ many point during my life for fear of getting fat; eating way higher kcals now just to maintain.

Exactly. I agree with the whole post but especially the bolded.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It’s a forum.....I’m sorry if I’m blunt and straight forward with my input.....
    I don’t troll, i just give blunt truth/ advice that some may be too sensitive to I guess

Fair enough but, it's not about being too sensitive. It's about the frequent instructions to "eat more", dished out on a daily basis on these forums to people who are having a hard time gaining weight. Not specifically referring to you here, though I have noticed it's something you say quite often. As has been pointed out elsewhere on this post, it's not that simple for some of us. Of course we know we have to eat more! Would you say, to someone trying to lose weight, well just eat less?
This discussion has been closed.