Selfie psychology

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    My handlers, P.R. head & security team lead have all advised me aginst posting selfies.

They all seem to be concerned about stalkers from the American Upper Midwest or the East Coast of Australia

Dis me B):D
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I rarely take a selfie. Not sure what is says about me. I am confident in my looks so that's not the issue. I just don't see a need for it. If someone wants to see what I look like, sure, why not but other than that it seems needy to me, I guess.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I was very awkward about having my picture taken for a long time during young adulthood. I had taken some self portraits before, when I was doing portrait photography, but those were not meant to be pretty. After that I think the only selfies I got were when I changed my phone and wanted to test the camera, when somebody else took them or when I was really nicely dressed (like for going to an event). Oh, and I had some when I was testing my bridal makeup and dress - those too.

My selfie-ing got wind in its sails here. Here, it ALL went downhill quickly :smiley:
    I guess it helps with confidence. It's also like „hey, if they can, then I can, too”, and „nobody knows me here”. Mostly the latter. I profoundly dislike the same-face-same-angle selfie, so it's also an exercise in creativity. And in a nice way, it helps lift my spirits.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I do not get selfie 'woo-ed'. I do not do selfies :-)
  • RngrZulu2
    RngrZulu2 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do selfies. Or, I used to. Not so much now. I can’t really figure why. Most people know what I look like at this point.
    Or not.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I haven’t ever looked into a selfie or the reasoning behind it. To me it’s just a photograph you’ve had to take yourself .. any filters or edits just enhance it slightly
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I find it weird when people post selfies of themselves on facebook and then you know they are waiting for the "omg you look so good, etc. etc. etc. I never respond to selfies on facebook because I know they just want validation and to me get validation from somewhere else please. Take a course, volunteer, do something good, etc.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Having not read any of the replies.....

Instant gratification, use to have to wait to see if it was a good picture now its boom, i dont like that one, delete, take a new one. Then add in all the filters and auto corrects......

People dont see the real them anymore, so to speak, its more about oh i like that pic, lemme send it out to the masses (text/snap/IG/etc)

then a person likes or comments, there fore reinforcing the behavior.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It is funny to think about. yes I think posting a lot of selfies means that person is seeking attention and validation. And if there's someone who posts selfies all the time, I unfollow them because that's annoying AF. But I am also seeking attention and validation when I post anything. Every time I post something on instagram, a picture of my kids, my garden, whatever, I go back and check many times to see if anyone liked it. Why? I think instagram and facebook are bad for my mental health lol.
  • greg_87
    greg_87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree its for validation, attention, or seeking approval. I used to hate selfies, or having my picture taken in general. Because even though people do it for validation, or attention they also don't want to be judged in a negative way. I realized that I was my own worst critic. When you take a picture of yourself, (or picture is taken of you) The first thing you look for is flaws, and that's all you see. That's all you focus on.

I started taking more pictures when I began working out. Posting them on fb in this "look at me, putting in work" kind of manner. I want people to see what i'm doing, I want people to be proud of it, I want them to see the progression, maybe even inspire people to do the same. I stopped posting them, and people asked if I stopped going, so a sense of accountability. I'm not just going to post "went to the gym today" But If you don't like selfies. Then you must not like when people share their mfp diaries, or when people post their weight loss. The list goes on, and on. It's all the same.

As far as the psychological aspect of it. Below is a good video. Its controversial, but makes sense. Start at 3:48

I don't see anything wrong with selfies, or attention/validation through social media in general. As long as not getting a good response, or not getting the attention you seek doesn't lead to self pity, or depression. That's when it becomes an issue. It's very common in the younger community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8XkJNaHbs
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    I selfie because people ask me to
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    I never selfied until i joined here. I never fully bought into it, but did partake some. Less and less interested in doing it as the "newness" wore off.
  • SabAteNine
    Options

*ASKS*
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I never selfied until i joined here. I never fully bought into it, but did partake some. Less and less interested in doing it as the "newness" wore off.

Umm.... *ASKS*
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »

*ASKS*

Umm.... *ASKS*

Hey, you never open and look at at all my special private pics I send!
  • SabAteNine
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »

*ASKS*

Umm.... *ASKS*

Hey, you never open and look at at all my special private pics I send!

You mean there's special private pics lost in the dreaded PM limbo?!? FREAKING DAMN IT. I feel cheated.
  • R3d_butt3rfly
    R3d_butt3rfly Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I selfie because there was a point in my life where I hated what I saw in the mirror. It has taken many years to learn self love. So when I selfie now, I do it because I feel good, in my eyes I look good and It's a reminder of how far I've come.

The luster of selfying on this site has lost its appeal to me so I don't do it as often anymore.