Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural vs "other"

Options
stewarm01
stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
I'm trying to lose 90 lbs naturally via exercise and healthier eating. On a good start but as we know it's very, very hard.

How do you feel about people who I say "cheat" with diet pills and the various surgeries?

I personally don't really have the same respect for them vs people who make the real sacrifices. Just my opinion.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what's the difference between naturally and exercise/healthy eating
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    There's no objective easy to it. You find what works best for you and do it that way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    stewarm01 wrote: »
    Interesting responses, maybe I'm just frustrated, tired, hungry, and all that.

Maybe the easier way may have been better.

You're missing the point. There is no easy way. Diet pills are largely ineffective, so the person still has to do all of the work. Surgery alters the way the body functions. Person still has to do the work plus (depending on the surgery), has to continue ensuring they are getting sufficient nutrition and may be a higher risks for other complications long-term, so still has to do the work. Regardless of the approach, the person needs to make the changes, and needs to follow through for the rest of their life, or face regain.

THERE IS NO EASY WAY.

^ this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 90 lbs naturally via exercise and healthier eating. On a good start but as we know it's very, very hard.

How do you feel about people who I say "cheat" with diet pills and the various surgeries?

I personally don't really have the same respect for them vs people who make the real sacrifices. Just my opinion.

I don't call people cheaters if they lost weight differently than me. I have to do things my way. I don't know if I respect people more if they lose weight a particular way. I do respect people less if they promote fad diets,unsafe or unhealthy weight loss methods.
    I feel concerned for people who use diet pills. That doesn't seem a sustainable path.
    Surgery for weight loss seems to me to be the riskier and harder path than just counting calories alone.
    There is not a magic way to lose weight though. It is all some kind of sacrafice.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My biggest issue with diet pills is that they tend not to work, and the ones that do tend to be really, really bad for you. The false advertising and BSing also bothers me. That's all. If they actually worked, didn't lie and BS a bunch, and weren't terrible for you I'd be all over that ish.
  • stewarm01
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight and different perspectives.

I was just frustrated like I said before from less food intake and 2 hours of exercise 6 days week. 1 hour each session 12 hours apart.

To each their own.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight and different perspectives.

I was just frustrated like I said before from less food intake and 2 hours of exercise 6 days week. 1 hour each session 12 hours apart.

To each their own.

Why are you exercising so much? Are you training for a specific event?
  • stewarm01
    Options
    Janejellyroll,

I recently had to retire early and I have nothing to do right now. Decided to finally get into better shape. I'm only doing cardio right now and going to add strength training very soon. It's been 11 weeks now.