Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Natural vs "other"

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    stewarm01 wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose 90 lbs naturally via exercise and healthier eating. On a good start but as we know it's very, very hard.

How do you feel about people who I say "cheat" with diet pills and the various surgeries?

I personally don't really have the same respect for them vs people who make the real sacrifices. Just my opinion.
    How do I feel about people who try to lose weight with diet pills or weight loss surgery?

Usually sympathetic for the fruitless and sometimes irreparable damage done to their health and their pocketbooks, with a hidden touch of "there but for the grace of good sense and patience go I."

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    edited September 2018
    I'm trying to lose 90 lbs naturally via exercise and healthier eating. On a good start but as we know it's very, very hard.

How do you feel about people who I say "cheat" with diet pills and the various surgeries?

I personally don't really have the same respect for them vs people who make the real sacrifices. Just my opinion.
    How do I feel about people who try to lose weight with diet pills or weight loss surgery?

Usually sympathetic for the fruitless and sometimes irreparable damage done to their health and their pocketbooks, with a hidden touch of "there but for the grace of good sense and patience go I."

That patience thing is so hard.
    Isn't there some famous saint who is supposed to have said:
    "Lord, grant me patience, and I want it right now!"?

(I think he's not the same as the saint who is supposed to have said: "Lord, grant me chastity; but, please - not yet.")

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member

(I think he's not the same as the saint who is supposed to have said: "Lord, grant me chastity; but, please - not yet.")

Me.😛
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    vanityy99 wrote: »

Me.😛
    LOL :D

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

It is none of my business. If they are happy and healthy who am I to judge? I can only say for certain that I am grateful to never have had to do that...
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    No matter how to realize your goals, if you don't keep a healthy eating/exercise lifestyle, you will eventually fail.

I've seen people who have had surgery, some have been able to manage their weight post-surgery, some have not. It all rides on how personally determined they are, and what kind of support system they have. If their family and friends are cheering them to eat healthy, they are more likely to succeed.

As a side: What is your definition of cheating? If I'm not getting all my nutrients from the food I eat, and I take dietary supplements, am I cheating?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    How other people lose weight does not affect me in any way. Why should I care? And why would they care if you have "respect" for how they lost weight or not? Besides that. Have you ever gone through surgery before? It is not the easy way out, and it is not without sacrifices.
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Awesomeopossum74,

I define cheating as altering your stomach or taking pills so you lose your appetite as opposed to determination, willpower, sacrifice, and motivation to name a few. *barring any true medical circumstances that would require you to have it.

I've seen people get surgery being 30lbs overweight.
  • stewarm01
    Hens92.

A lot care what people think, trust and believe. Many keep it secret. I had a good friend of many years keep hers secrete.

And yes, I've had several surgeries throughout the years. None by choice.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

Shouldn't we just respect everyone no matter what?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Awesomeopossum74,

I define cheating as altering your stomach or taking pills so you lose your appetite as opposed to determination, willpower, sacrifice, and motivation to name a few. *barring any true medical circumstances that would require you to have it.

I've seen people get surgery being 30lbs overweight.

It seems like you're giving this a lot of moral significance. At the end of the day, it's just energy stored in your body. People use different methods and techniques to create a calorie deficit. Why make it more than it is?

Is it inherently better to accomplish something via sacrifice? Yeah, we all want the ability to sacrifice when it's necessary, but it's not like we have to demonstrate it in every area of life. If someone has an easier time losing weight, for whatever reason, what harm does that cause?

(This is accepting the premise that losing weight via surgery doesn't involve determination and motivation, something that I'm not sure is true).

• stewarm01
    Cathipa,

Never said I would react any differently, I would feel differently in my mind if you tied up your stomach to lose and I fought and battled to lose mine.

I'm sure many feel the same, but wouldn't dare say it.