Is fruit in the afternoon bad?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    hell, i'm diabetic and have to limit my sugar intake but my dietician still recommends i eat fruit. if i can, anyone can. and time of day really doesn't matter sugar wise, unless it keeps you awake.

Fruit is good for you not bad! sugar is the bad boy! here! it's that easy and even for a diabetic it might be needed in an emergency but nowadays we should all be carrying Gluco Tabs and only have them when needed not as a treat!

You do realize that fruit contains sugar, right? And that the body processes all sugar identically, regardless of its source? So it's not like the body goes, "Apple sugar good! Cookie sugar, bad!"

But all the fiberz negate all the sugarz in fruit, so it's like not eating sugar at all.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yes, pie was an obvious direction to go, since (1) 7 pages on fruit, so time for dessert, and (2) pie is fruity, so clearly on topic. I was wondering how long it would take . . . .

Personally, my favorite is concord grape pie, pure ambrosia, but I don't have a photo.

7fh8u2opqaic.jpg

sign me up!!

Me, too!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    We have a farm about 90 minutes out of the city, famous for its apple orchards but has berry picking too. I went once and recall they had samples of about 12 different varieties they were handing out slices of. I remember being surprised that apples my mom had told me repeatedly were "cooking apples" not "eating apples" were among the tastier.

None of them were winesap though.

Just found their website: https://www.chudleighs.com/ And it looks like they still haven't got 'em.

Simpson Orchards grows winesaps in Ontario. http://www.simpsonorchards.ca/All About Apples.htm Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they ship outside of Windsor and Leamington. Might be worth a weekend trip, though. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    We have a farm about 90 minutes out of the city, famous for its apple orchards but has berry picking too. I went once and recall they had samples of about 12 different varieties they were handing out slices of. I remember being surprised that apples my mom had told me repeatedly were "cooking apples" not "eating apples" were among the tastier.

None of them were winesap though.

Just found their website: https://www.chudleighs.com/ And it looks like they still haven't got 'em.

Simpson Orchards grows winesaps in Ontario. http://www.simpsonorchards.ca/All About Apples.htm Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they ship outside of Windsor and Leamington. Might be worth a weekend trip, though. :)

Ooh, good to know!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes, pie was an obvious direction to go, since (1) 7 pages on fruit, so time for dessert, and (2) pie is fruity, so clearly on topic. I was wondering how long it would take . . . .

Personally, my favorite is concord grape pie, pure ambrosia, but I don't have a photo.

7fh8u2opqaic.jpg

sign me up!!

Me, too!
    And me!

I'm bringing Pavlova

1weyjvslumkc.jpg

Where are we going? Casa de Fruta?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options

i've never heard of this....now i'm curious!

Pain to make: Squeeze the middles out of the skins, chop the skins, cook the middles, strain or foley food mill the middles to lose the seeds. So worth it, though. My recipe says it's best warm, but it's actually best day 2, after it melds and mellows.

It's nearly the season, here. Now I'm wondering if I can beat the raccoons to my concords. Experience says "no" . . . the masked gang seems to like them a little tarter than I do. ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

7fh8u2opqaic.jpg

sign me up!!

Me, too!
    And me!

I'm bringing Pavlova

1weyjvslumkc.jpg

I’m up for going to Casa de Fruta. It’s the best tourist trap.

As far as apples, Ginger Gold and Arkansas Black are my favorite by far. I haven’t had either since we moved out of North Carolina :(
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I love quartering apples, removing the core area, and microwaving for 1 minute (sometimes with a slice of American cheeze fud on top). Softens them up so nicely.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

7fh8u2opqaic.jpg

sign me up!!

Me, too!
    And me!

I'm bringing Pavlova

1weyjvslumkc.jpg

I’m up for going to Casa de Fruta. It’s the best tourist trap.

As far as apples, Ginger Gold and Arkansas Black are my favorite by far. I haven’t had either since we moved out of North Carolina :(

i just found arkansas black trees for 10 dollars at steins. one is doing well in my yard, one is not. i plan on having a few cider/eating apple trees in the backyard. and cherries in the front of the house-cause pretty and edible

midwest=apple pie
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

7fh8u2opqaic.jpg

sign me up!!

Me, too!
    And me!

I'm bringing Pavlova

1weyjvslumkc.jpg

Australian cloud dessert! As it gets referred to when I make it
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    skram01 wrote: »
    nachiame wrote: »
    I eat fruit every single afternoon for my snack. I'm going to have to figure something out because I've been eating watermelon and pineapple ALLL summer long and this week, they both suck. It's very disappointing. :'( What fruits are good now? Apples? Apples are stupid.

tumblr_m4hbjmytfq1qbb8qqo2_250.gif

Apples with peanut butter. Apples chopped with cinnamon and a little honey and heated real quick. Apples and cheese. Apples and cheese and wine. Apple cider. Hard cider. Apple pie. Hasselback Apple. Apple kugel. Apples are fabulous!!

Nothing important to add because everyone has already said it. I just wanted to add some yummy Apple love. Especially since they are both yummy and fascinating.

so.. you like, chop apples up with cinnamon and honey and then what? Can you just stick that in the microwave? I have never done much with apples besides just eat them lol.

eta oo I just found this via google. This sounds good, I might replace my watermelon/pineapple snack with this, and put a dollop of whipped cream on it. Mmmmm.. I guess apples aren't so stupid.

https://eatathomecooks.com/1-minute-brown-sugar-and-cinnamon-apples/

That's pretty much it except I usually use honey.

This thread had now devolved into me needing to bake a bunch of pies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

i've never heard of this....now i'm curious!

Pain to make: Squeeze the middles out of the skins, chop the skins, cook the middles, strain or foley food mill the middles to lose the seeds. So worth it, though. My recipe says it's best warm, but it's actually best day 2, after it melds and mellows.

It's nearly the season, here. Now I'm wondering if I can beat the raccoons to my concords. Experience says "no" . . . the masked gang seems to like them a little tarter than I do. ;)

I was wondering if there was some sort of skinless, seedless Concord grape...

Heaven is unexpectedly running into a patch of grapes while walking in the woods in the fall. Surprise grapes taste the best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit every single afternoon for my snack. I'm going to have to figure something out because I've been eating watermelon and pineapple ALLL summer long and this week, they both suck. It's very disappointing. :'( What fruits are good now? Apples? Apples are stupid.

Honeycrisp apples, cold out of the fridge?!? AH-mazing. Red Delicious - hard pass.

Another Yes vote on honey crisps, which my local apple farm started carrying a few weeks ago, and another No vote on red "delicious".
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I just ate a whole grapefruit at 8:30pm

bjdawjr5oq5h.jpg

rv5uwghb01am.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I just ate a whole grapefruit at 8:30pm

bjdawjr5oq5h.jpg

rv5uwghb01am.jpg

There were times when my dinner consisted of a whole pomelo. Can't wait for winter!
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's never a wrong time of day to eat fruit. Fruit is the last thing you want to worry about overeating
  • Stellar_iam
    Stellar_iam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lol.. eat it whenever you want. However, some fruits offer different benefits and macro profiles.