I'm done with counting calories, Weight Watchers, etc - I'm going back to low carb

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful to you, but diabetics are told not to exceed 132 grams of carbs for the day. My husband and I watch both our carbs and our calories and we have both lost about 25 lbs. I do weigh our food.

Not universally. I’m type 1, and my dietitian said to aim for between 1 and 1.5 gm of carb per pound of body weight.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Considering that the vast majority of people regain at least some of the weight they lose, no one can tell you with certainty how to lose the weight once and for all.

Perhaps low carb is the best way of eating for you. Why did you stop eating that way in the first place, was it difficult for you? Maybe start out aiming for 50g less than you have been typically eating. After a couple of weeks if it's going well, try a little lower.

I believe some places define low carb as under 150g, which doesn't seem very low to me! Generally it's considered 100g or less I think. Don't get boxed into feeling line you have to follow some guidelines for a defined diet though. Play around with your macros until you find your sweet spot, regardless of what someone else would call it. There's no magic to specific carb ratios, it's just that for some people a particular ratio will have them satiated, will make their logging more on point, and may be making them happier, less stressed, more energetic or whatever other intangibles play a role. Good luck!

Lol 150g of carbs is like a smorgasbord to me! 🎉
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the very insightful replies...I appreciate it!
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not the carbs that the issue. It's the inconsistency of HOW MUCH you're consuming that is. When numbers are consistent and in line, the system works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're right. :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Weight battles are never over. People regain on low carb, high carb, Keto.... where you counting calories STRICTLY when you stopped doing lower carb? I am not criticising you? I am just curious.

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. :) I don't weigh food...I feel that I am obsessive enough with keeping track of every calorie I consume on an app. I really hate that this has consumed a good part of my life. I was 14 when I started counting calories (back then, it was on paper...lol)...and I am 48 now! Ughhhhhhhhh

Here is your answer. You didn't count calories effectively or correctly that is what failed not CICO. It doesn't bother me whether you go low carb, no carb or 30 bananas a day, but you can go lower carb and count which is what I do and it works.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If I've learned anything in all the years of dieting it is that you have to do what works for you. If that's low carb and your doc feels it's healthy for you then do what works. I was never able to maintain the low carb lifestyle so I do low cal. But that's me! Good luck on your journey and there are a couple low carb groups on here which are likely to be very helpful to you. Give them a shot.
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know so many say weight loss is all about calories in/calories out, and that does make sense...but I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for around 10 years and I'm frustrated. I know that's not a lot of weight to lose, but I feel better at a certain weight (my healthy weight).

I have counted calories on and off since I was 14 (!), and I have tried Weight Watchers. Last summer, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic and started watching the carbs. I brought my A1C down to a normal level and lost weight in the process. I stopped eating low carb and the weight returned (so obviously I am going to have to make it a permanent change/lifestyle). My husband lost 50 lbs eating low carb and has kept it off for 3 years (he still watches the carbs but not as 'fanatically').

I am really starting to think that low carb is the only thing that works for me. What is considered low carb (ex: 100 net carbs a day)? And I know that eating low carb naturally results in eating a higher fat diet. Can anyone recommend good websites, books, etc to help me in this journey to finally lose the extra weight once and for all?

low carb doesn't work for me at all. what i do lose comes back on the minute i touch a piece of bread and the cravings hit so hard i end up bingeing on carbs sometimes which doesn't help. low carb per diets like the atkins diet go around 30-40 carbs a day max. i'd consider what you are thinking a reduced carb diet rather than a low carb one which i think isn't sustainable at least for me. i can do reduced carb though. they say anything in moderation. the thing with calorie counting, is that after a while you should be able to sort of estimate how many calories is in something so you don't have to count so hard and it just comes naturally. anyway, i have been diagnosed diabetic recently and my dietician said it's not so much eliminating carbs but reducing portion sizes. if you stick to one to two recommeneded servings per meal you should do good with weight loss. (example. a serving of pasta or rice is about 1/3 cup cooked)