Lose weight with cardio

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Just disagreeing with the notion that some have reached a level of training that it's nearly impossible to gain weight.

I don't think anybody is saying you can exercise so much it's impossible to lose weight.

I'm saying for a person whose goal it is to lose weight, and who has basic common sense, exercise can play a substantial roller in the process, given enough fitness. That's absolutely true, you can tell from math and from many people's experience.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Man, I won't try to speak for anyone else on this "max out" idea, but it would be dead easy for me to eat 5000 calories every single day, and not at all practical to get the daily 3000 calories or so over NEAT to offset it. YMMV, fer shure.

I could eat 5,000 calories in a day, I think. But there's no way I could do it more than a few days in a row.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Man, I won't try to speak for anyone else on this "max out" idea, but it would be dead easy for me to eat 5000 calories every single day, and not at all practical to get the daily 3000 calories or so over NEAT to offset it. YMMV, fer shure.

I could eat 5,000 calories in a day, I think. But there's no way I could do it more than a few days in a row.

Have done it for 2-3 days in a row relatively recently, more than once, post-weight-loss. It would've been easy to keep going for more days - indefinitely, I'd guess: The only thing that stops me is having a brain (sort of). That I can do this, and even kind of want to (moderated only by prudence and concern for future self) is one of my biggest problems in maintenance. Not classic binges, either: Variety, and not just treat foods or junk food. No way I could sustain the compensating exercise level just from a practical time-span standpoint, even ignoring fitness/endurance.

Apparently this is not a universal. That some of us (at least me) are like this could be behind the PP about max calorie intake inevitably out-weighing (heh) max exercise:
    Here's how to lose weight with cardio:

Step 1: Be very fit
    Step 2: Maintain your fitness with a high training volume.

For example, if you're a cyclist, have an FTP over 200 watts, such that 140w which is 500 calories per hour, is an easy ride. Ride 12 hours per week. Or, if you're a runner, be fit enough to run 12 hours per week at a good pace.

Unfortunately, due to the universe having a sense of humor, this isn't really available to the people who could benefit from it the most. So it winds up mostly being about how much you eat.

Even if you ride or run 12 hours a week, you can't outrun your fork.

That kinda depends what you put on your fork, wouldn't you say...?

Yes, but if you max out exercise and eating, eating will "win".
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Have done it for 2-3 days in a row relatively recently, more than once, post-weight-loss. It would've been easy to keep going for more days - indefinitely, I'd guess: The only thing that stops me is having a brain (sort of). That I can do this, and even kind of want to (moderated only by prudence and concern for future self) is one of my biggest problems in maintenance. Not classic binges, either: Variety, and not just treat foods or junk food. No way I could sustain the compensating exercise level just from a practical time-span standpoint, even ignoring fitness/endurance.

Apparently this is not a universal. That some of us (at least me) are like this could be behind the PP about max calorie intake inevitably out-weighing (heh) max exercise:
    Here's how to lose weight with cardio:

Step 1: Be very fit
    Step 2: Maintain your fitness with a high training volume.

For example, if you're a cyclist, have an FTP over 200 watts, such that 140w which is 500 calories per hour, is an easy ride. Ride 12 hours per week. Or, if you're a runner, be fit enough to run 12 hours per week at a good pace.

Unfortunately, due to the universe having a sense of humor, this isn't really available to the people who could benefit from it the most. So it winds up mostly being about how much you eat.

Even if you ride or run 12 hours a week, you can't outrun your fork.

That kinda depends what you put on your fork, wouldn't you say...?

Yes, but if you max out exercise and eating, eating will "win".

See I feel I wouldn't be able to easily eat 5k calories a day without eating a lot of bread (tasty, I just don't do it often) or pastries/cake/candy/caramel corn. Candy and caramel corn would be the easiest ways honestly. If I was eating out for most of my meals it'd be a bit easier as fried foods would likely come into play. That said, that isn't sustainable on a financial level and I enjoy cooking most of the time.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just disagreeing with the notion that some have reached a level of training that it's nearly impossible to gain weight.

Would I be right in guessing you don't do endurance cardio?

And you would be wrong. I train 7 hours a week rowing (and more on top of that), many times burning over 1000 an hour. I train with guys that do way more than me and are still, in some cases, overweight. Like I said, I just disagree. I've known many fat runners that run over 75 MPW. I also know guys that do a marathon a week (in one sitting) on the erg (indoor rower) at paces I can only imagine that are heavy. Just seems like a notion to say, "I do so much cardio", as my Brit rowing friends would say, "willy wagging".

I'm not even saying that I fit into this category, just find the whole notion of the idea of something to the extent of only select fitness people can outreach gaining weight by training. There is a limit to training after a while and, while I certainly don't eat like it anymore (I don't eat dairy/gluten, which eliminates nearly 90% of the junk), there was a time in my life I could easily have put down 5K to 6K calories in a day. Many obese people still do that daily. That's how I got to be 240/250 lbs years ago, though I've been in maintenance 6 years now.

I just think it's misleading saying that it's hard at a certain point gaining weight do to exercise. I know a lot of cardio addicts that are heavy.
  • aokoye
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Would I be right in guessing you don't do endurance cardio?

And you would be wrong. I train 7 hours a week rowing (and more on top of that), many times burning over 1000 an hour. I train with guys that do way more than me and are still, in some cases, overweight. Like I said, I just disagree. I've known many fat runners that run over 75 MPW. I also know guys that do a marathon a week (in one sitting) on the erg (indoor rower) at paces I can only imagine that are heavy. Just seems like a notion to say, "I do so much cardio", as my Brit rowing friends would say, "willy wagging".

I'm not even saying that I fit into this category, just find the whole notion of the idea of something to the extent of only select fitness people can outreach gaining weight by training. There is a limit to training after a while and, while I certainly don't eat like it anymore (I don't eat dairy/gluten, which eliminates nearly 90% of the junk), there was a time in my life I could easily have put down 5K to 6K calories in a day. Many obese people still do that daily. That's how I got to be 240/250 lbs years ago, though I've been in maintenance 6 years now.

I just think it's misleading saying that it's hard at a certain point gaining weight do to exercise. I know a lot of cardio addicts that are heavy.

The thing is, I probably know as many people who aren't overweight and do endurance sports and/or commute by bike as you do people who are overweight and do endurance sports. One of the points that I've been making is that there are people whose typical diet consists primarily of foods (and quantities of foods) that make losing or maintaining weight simple if they're burning a lot of calories throughout the week. All of the people I know who fit in that category have jobs/are students and thus aren't in a position where they are spending an inordinate amount of time exercising.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Wow - I really didn't think the saying I parroted was so controversial. It is something that is usually said as a caution to people like the OP who seem to be starting on a weight loss journey and expect cardio to be a big part of it from the start. I don't do "endurance cardio" but I suspect I have burned above average calories during the summer. I often paddle my SUP for 3 or 4 hours with few, if any, stops and burn well over 1000 calories. But that is once or twice a week and it's less often as the days grow shorter and then once temps drop, even less frequent. Anyway, I could easily outpace that with overeating even when I was doing over 20 miles a week on a really slow board burning ~150 calories a mile (on a better board the burn per mile is significantly lower). I think the average burn by someone who thinks of themselves as fairly active, doing 3 or 4 gym sessions a week, maybe a run or two or whatever, is probably averaging under 500 calories of extra burn a day. Averaging 1000 a day probably puts you int the top 5%, maybe even top 3%, of people.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Wow just stumbled on this discussion that seems relevant...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10696782/i-ate-everything#latest
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Because some people occasionally eat a lot, you should sit on the couch instead of going for a walk?

Weight loss is simple math. Calories in, calories out. More calories out can only help.

Anybody who thinks going for a walk means they can eat 5,000+ calories every day ... does anybody actually think that?
  • aokoye
    Options
    I think the average burn by someone who thinks of themselves as fairly active, doing 3 or 4 gym sessions a week, maybe a run or two or whatever, is probably averaging under 500 calories of extra burn a day. Averaging 1000 a day probably puts you int the top 5%, maybe even top 3%, of people.

Given that I'm no where near an elite athlete I highly doubt I'm in the top 3-5% of people in terms of the ability to burn 1000 calories a day (over the span of a few hours). I think it probably shows that I train for a sport in a somewhat organized way and have done so for a while, but I'm not abnormal in that respect - plenty of people do that. Note that I don't typically bike twice a day, but if my schedule allowed for it I would likely be to ride five days a week.

For anyone that cares, my FTP is 180. I last tested it in August and it's likely still around that (I'm planning on doing another FTP test on Tuesday).