Keto Diet (Do's and Don'ts)

Options

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    karenlong7 wrote: »
    I've lost 130 pounds in the last 8 months on a low carb, moderate fat, higher protein keto diet. I OMAD. I am 10 pounds from my goal weight.

You don't need to eat a lot of bacon and butter to be Keto. Keto is simply LOW-CARB. The fat you don't put on your plate is drawn from your body. It's when you are at goal weight that you increase your fat intake (calories) to prevent further weight loss.

For the one meal I eat, at least 1/2 of my plate is a low carb vegetable, the other half is a lower fat protein, like chicken breast, center cut pork chops, a lean steak.

In the end, Keto is like any other diet. Calories in, calories out. The benefit of Keto, for me, is hunger control, a consistent energy level (no sugar highs and lows), and the lack of cravings for carbs and sugar.

So not arguing with you, genuinely asking.. my understanding is a Keto Diet is burning fat instead of glucose for fuel, and if you have too much protein your body will convert it to sugar, therefore essentially treating it as a carb, ive read multiple books and more web pages than i can count that all state this. Am I incorrect in that? (I honestly hope I am because watching my protein level is harder than watching my carbs lol)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    karenlong7 wrote: »
    I've lost 130 pounds in the last 8 months on a low carb, moderate fat, higher protein keto diet. I OMAD. I am 10 pounds from my goal weight.

You don't need to eat a lot of bacon and butter to be Keto. Keto is simply LOW-CARB. The fat you don't put on your plate is drawn from your body. It's when you are at goal weight that you increase your fat intake (calories) to prevent further weight loss.

For the one meal I eat, at least 1/2 of my plate is a low carb vegetable, the other half is a lower fat protein, like chicken breast, center cut pork chops, a lean steak.

In the end, Keto is like any other diet. Calories in, calories out. The benefit of Keto, for me, is hunger control, a consistent energy level (no sugar highs and lows), and the lack of cravings for carbs and sugar.

So not arguing with you, genuinely asking.. my understanding is a Keto Diet is burning fat instead of glucose for fuel, and if you have too much protein your body will convert it to sugar, therefore essentially treating it as a carb, ive read multiple books and more web pages than i can count that all state this. Am I incorrect in that? (I honestly hope I am because watching my protein level is harder than watching my carbs lol)

Gluconeogenesis does occur when your body needs glucose. But even so, your body converts proteins and fat into glucose.

Even do the of rate of fat oxidation vs glucose oxidation really doesnt matter. Burning "fat" or fat oxidation doesnt mean body fat. It can, but it can also mean stored fat or recently consumed fat.

If you are concerned about anything, it shoule be protein levels. Often people do not get enough protein while dieting which can have poor effects on the body (like muscle loss).
  • etaylor704
    etaylor704 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you want some good info and videos, follow dr Eric Berg. He is great at explaining everything and why Keto is good to combine with IF.

Of ALL the people, he's the last I would recommend.

Who's your go to ketonians...I've kinda turned into a keto info junky lol.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    etaylor704 wrote: »
    If you want some good info and videos, follow dr Eric Berg. He is great at explaining everything and why Keto is good to combine with IF.

Of ALL the people, he's the last I would recommend.

Who's your go to ketonians...I've kinda turned into a keto info junky lol.

Lyle McDonald is one of the most unbiased sources of solid keto nutrition. And unlike chiropractors and celebrity trainers, he actually is educated in the field.
    Absolutely agree!
  • debkasper1
    debkasper1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm Deb. 5 foot tall and 180 now. I've lost 70 pounds in the last 5 months with Keto and Intermittent fasting!
  • etaylor704
    etaylor704 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    debkasper1 wrote: »
    I'm Deb. 5 foot tall and 180 now. I've lost 70 pounds in the last 5 months with Keto and Intermittent fasting!

Great job!!!!
  • elijahwilliams314
    elijahwilliams314 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I’ve been keto for 4+ years. Bacon and butter are not necessarily bad for you. What exactly are you concerned about regarding those ingredients?

I just seen the replies to the post today. I've been following Dr. Berg for a little while now, and realized, not just from his research but other doctors, that I've had my idea of what fats are good and bad are wrong. I had been mostly concerned with cholesterol levels but he explained very well how Keto helps.

Though the diet seems a little too good to be true in some ways. It also seems very difficult in others. I've been on a little experiment to see if this is the route I want to go. I'm finding it difficult to get the amount of fat that was recommended to me. (75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% Carbs). My carb intake though I can get it really low (compared to my normal intake) it still reaches to about 10-20%. Even when looking for "Keto recipes". A lot of people are focusing on low carbs only. Rather than low carbs, high fat. How do I get more fats in my diet?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey I’ve been keto for 4+ years. Bacon and butter are not necessarily bad for you. What exactly are you concerned about regarding those ingredients?

I just seen the replies to the post today. I've been following Dr. Berg for a little while now, and realized, not just from his research but other doctors, that I've had my idea of what fats are good and bad are wrong. I had been mostly concerned with cholesterol levels but he explained very well how Keto helps.

Though the diet seems a little too good to be true in some ways. It also seems very difficult in others. I've been on a little experiment to see if this is the route I want to go. I'm finding it difficult to get the amount of fat that was recommended to me. (75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% Carbs). My carb intake though I can get it really low (compared to my normal intake) it still reaches to about 10-20%. Even when looking for "Keto recipes". A lot of people are focusing on low carbs only. Rather than low carbs, high fat. How do I get more fats in my diet?

I would never stress about getting more fat. If anything, i would ensure you are getting adequate protein. Depending on your calorie level 20% might not be enough.
  • elijahwilliams314
    elijahwilliams314 Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ing more fat. If anything, i would ensure you are getting adequate protein. Depending on your calorie level 20% might not be enough.

My nutritional numbers are
    1,720 kcal, 43(g) carbs, 134(g) fat, 86(g) protein
    75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% Carbs