Keto Diet (Do's and Don'ts)

So I've been thinking about doing the Keto diet. I'm currently doing IF (16-8 protocol), and I heard adding Keto would help also. I was told to try it for 30 days. I've been looking up Keto and I keep seeing people using LOTS of Bacon and Butter. Now I'm the smartest person on earth, but this just seems very unhealthy. Have you all ever tried Keto? What should I do and what is there that i should avoid?

Thank you.

Replies

• Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2018
    My ldl number is high. in your experience, is keto a good thing for lowering LDL?

I've been playing with a clean keto style.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Its funny, I never knew I was a dirty keto'er until today. Just never really thought about it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Shexio wrote: »
    My ldl number is high. in your experience, is keto a good thing for lowering LDL?

Some find LDl goes down but in others it can go up or stay the same. What does occur though is that the particle size increase to a larger, less dense, and healthier type of LDL. Not all LDL is the same.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Some find LDl goes down but in others it can go up or stay the same. What does occur though is that the particle size increase to a larger, less dense, and healthier type of LDL. Not all LDL is the same.

I was just reading about this in The Big Fat Lie and started thinking. How do you know what the LDL size is in blood work?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I was just reading about this in The Big Fat Lie and started thinking. How do you know what the LDL size is in blood work?

There is a specific test that is run to determine the particle size - you can request it for your next blood draw.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    ^^this. It's not available at all labs yet but it can be done.
    The Low carber Daily has some interesting rabbit holes on cholesterol to explore in their launch pad. It's interesting stuff!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Hey I’ve been keto for 4+ years. Bacon and butter are not necessarily bad for you. What exactly are you concerned about regarding those ingredients?

Can someone explain why they think this is woo?

The first statement is true and only I would know that.

The second sentence is hardly making any claim.

And the last sentence is a question for the OP so that I could better answer their question.

And I got 3 woos. To be fair I also got one insightful yet I gave no insights as I was waiting for a reply from the OP so I could better respond to the question.

I don’t understand how this forum works. I got woo’d for saying I like wearing crop tops once. What do you people want?

Who knows why some people woo things.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Like most diets: you can do them a variety of ways. You can diet using MFP and eat a whole variety of ways. You can diet and count carbs and eat a whole variety of ways.
    I personally aim to build my diet around nutrient dense whole foods.