Keto Diet (Do's and Don'ts)

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ing more fat. If anything, i would ensure you are getting adequate protein. Depending on your calorie level 20% might not be enough.

My nutritional numbers are
    1,720 kcal, 43(g) carbs, 134(g) fat, 86(g) protein
    75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% Carbs

86g of protein is fairly low for a male.

What are your stats? Do you exercise? If so, what is your plan?
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    karenlong7 wrote: »
    etaylor704 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you want some good info and videos, follow dr Eric Berg. He is great at explaining everything and why Keto is good to combine with IF.

This Eric Berg? The chiropractor who has been fined and censured by the medical board in his state and ordered to cease and desist many of his fradulent scams?: https://casewatch.net/board/chiro/berg.shtml

Dr. Eric bergs info works! Hes been dead on with any info I've needed...including blood pressure. His info on fat changed my whole way of thinking about the subject

Dr. Berg's info on the health benefits, and physical results of a ketogenic way of eating seem spot on, however, he makes the diet far more complicated than it needs to be.

You don't HAVE to eat grass fed butter and beef, free-range chicken and eggs, 7 to 10 cups of dark leafy green, and slather imported oil grown on olive trees planted in the prehistoric swamps of the Mediterranian on your avacado. You don't even need to eat avacado.

Regular butter, beef from your local grocery store, any choice of low-carb vegetables, and eggs on sale this week will work just fine.

amen
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ing more fat. If anything, i would ensure you are getting adequate protein. Depending on your calorie level 20% might not be enough.

86g of protein is fairly low for a male.

What are your stats? Do you exercise? If so, what is your plan?

I agree. You could go higher on protein, especially in the eRly days of losing or if you are active. Some ketoers try to match protein and fat gram for gram.

Your carbs are near the upper end of what many do for keto, but that's fine if it works for you.
  • elijahwilliams314
    elijahwilliams314 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Personally, I would cut some of the fat and replace it with protein. To reach ketosis, fat isn't the magic macro - super low carbs is the magic. Fat is used as a filler to replace the calories from the carbs.

I just read, because of @dmcnur suggestion of The Diet Doctor, that I should be cutting my carbs down to about 20g and add more protein. His suggestion is a strict 0-20g, until my goals are reached, and then going to a moderate level of 20-50g after.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Personally, I would cut some of the fat and replace it with protein. To reach ketosis, fat isn't the magic macro - super low carbs is the magic. Fat is used as a filler to replace the calories from the carbs.

I just read, because of @dmcnur suggestion of The Diet Doctor, that I should be cutting my carbs down to about 20g and add more protein. His suggestion is a strict 0-20g, until my goals are reached, and then going to a moderate level of 20-50g after.

If that fits within your style of eating its fine, but going sub 20g isn't going to be some magically number. People can be in ketosis fairly easy around 20-50g.
  • jmpjmp57
    jmpjmp57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry...what does woo mean, lol. This is my first time here.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    jmpjmp57 wrote: »
    Sorry...what does woo mean, lol. This is my first time here.

It depends on who you ask but I don't know. I just ignore it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

I do my fat meal at breakfast. Two eggs w heavy whipping cream, sausage, bacon, butter, cheese and some MCT in my coffee. Lunch I have a salad with a protein and add guac, sour cream, avocado and some oil or dressing. Dinner I eat meat and some veggies and have some wine. I aim for <50g of carb but don't track anything. I think of carbs and fat like a see saw of calories if one goes up the other goes down. Other than protein you need to get your remaining calories from fat or carbs. This doesn't mean go crazy on fat but you will feel better and feel less hungry with an adequate fat level. You can always go up on protein, in fact you can go all protein and join the carnivore club but that probably won't suit most people. If you want to play around with the % of each I say do it but try not to change too many things at one time. Give yourself time to adjust so you can see what works and how you feel.
  • elijahwilliams314
    elijahwilliams314 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon currently I don't really know my style of eating when it comes to Keto. I'm just trying to weight out all my options. Knowing the method and science behind it all before just jumping head first into it.

What are some pitfalls that you all have had, that I could possibly avoid?
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @psuLemon currently I don't really know my style of eating when it comes to Keto. I'm just trying to weight out all my options. Knowing the method and science behind it all before just jumping head first into it.

I couldn't stick with Keto.. it limits too many healthy and high volume foods. The science is pretty clear though.. and realistically, if you are satieted at 50g, there is no additional benefit to going lower. The biggest concern is muscle loss and minimizing metabolic adaptation. You do that through increased protein and resistance training.

At th very least, id aim for 1g/lb of goal weight. For me, i was aiming for 150-180g at 178lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Fat bombs and forcing extra fat into your diet is a common problem. It isn't hard to go over your calories if you are adding lots of extra fat to drinks or food. Calories still count for losing weight, and pushing fat, at the expense of protein, is not helpful to weight loss or lean mass retention.

Exogenous ketones are a waste of time unless you need high ketone levels for a medical reason.

Listening to those, who are not informed on the ketogenic diet, say it is unhealthy or unsustainable or worse (or better) for weight loss.