Surprised at how unpopular express workout is at the gym

Options
1235»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol those are interesting rules. A lot of them are really stupid. Although I kind of like the no super setting rule. Unless the gym is relatively empty it's kind of annoying when one person is hogging 2 different machines/ pieces of equipment.

Anyway, we all know how PF is. Let's all just get over it. Not everyone is training to be an olympic athlete or something. It's fine for general fitness.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Also, don't understand the comment about Planet Fitness not being a real gym. You could probably lump YouFit into the same category as PF (low-cost, convenience) and I can assure you, I work very hard there and I'm very serious about getting fit.

It's just snobbery. PF, and similar, have low barriers to entry, but equally low costs to not sustaining it. You can see it in this thread, and many others; you're not serious unless it's only free weights...

Frankly, tedious

Really dude? No weights, but they are very serious. Kid is probably the strongest 13yr old out there. And no weights. But lots of grunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-1IaK9SNqg
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, don't understand the comment about Planet Fitness not being a real gym. You could probably lump YouFit into the same category as PF (low-cost, convenience) and I can assure you, I work very hard there and I'm very serious about getting fit.

It's just snobbery. PF, and similar, have low barriers to entry, but equally low costs to not sustaining it. You can see it in this thread, and many others; you're not serious unless it's only free weights...

Frankly, tedious

Really dude? No weights, but they are very serious. Kid is probably the strongest 13yr old out there. And no weights. But lots of grunting:

Aren't you feeling sensitive about this...

:)
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Frankly, tedious

Aren't you feeling sensitive about this...

:)

You didn't watch the video. Kid is super impressive. All body weight exercises. He does a move he became famous for - a roll to handstand, except he did it from flat on the ground.

I don't think only weight lifters are serious. I think marathoners are very serious. Cyclists, swimmers, tennis players, etc., are all very serious. But grunting is involved in all of these.

Two of my favorite sports to participate in don't involve weights at all. Think you could do this at PF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8seIhcCHCL4

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I generally credit deadlifts for the major improvements in my up-hill running pace and endurance. As far as alternatives for hamstrings, the leg curl machine tweaked my knee. Nope- no PF for me. I'm also 4'10", so you can pretty much guarantee that nothing with a fixed (or even partially adjustable) motion track will remotely match mine. As for some of the non-free-weight workouts quoted above, I'm in the 'Why TF would anyone want to do cardio in the gym?' camp (barring freezing rain or knee-deep snow while in training).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I also superset (hogging the squat rack while doing 1 arm set and 1 abs set) - but I do go when they are less busy and it's not like the squat rack would free up any sooner if I sat there on my *kitten*/looking in the mirror for those 3 minutes instead of grabbing some dumbbells.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ..and I do frequently go through more than 1 water bottle.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of free-weights and machines. About 50/50 in my workouts and I guarantee I'm pretty serious about lifting. However, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned one the things I found perplexing when I visited a Planet Fitness... the laughably small stacks on their resistance machines. It's like they purposefully removed half the plates from all their machines. Makes it hard for someone who is even minimally "strong" to properly use their equipment. I'm told it's to make the machines "less intimidating" and to make those using them feel better about what they are pushing or pulling?

Anyhow - I still think that PF is a great place for those who's primary interest is cardio or who is just starting out. I'd just think that anybody serious about lifting would soon need to graduate to a different gym even if they wanted to keep using nothing but resistance machines.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Lol those are interesting rules. A lot of them are really stupid. Although I kind of like the no super setting rule. Unless the gym is relatively empty it's kind of annoying when one person is hogging 2 different machines/ pieces of equipment.

Anyway, we all know how PF is. Let's all just get over it. Not everyone is training to be an olympic athlete or something. It's fine for general fitness.

To be honest, that's what 99% or so of all gym members are doing.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I use a combination of free-weights and machines. About 50/50 in my workouts and I guarantee I'm pretty serious about lifting. However, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned one the things I found perplexing when I visited a Planet Fitness... the laughably small stacks on their resistance machines. It's like they purposefully removed half the plates from all their machines. Makes it hard for someone who is even minimally "strong" to properly use their equipment. I'm told it's to make the machines "less intimidating" and to make those using them feel better about what they are pushing or pulling?

Anyhow - I still think that PF is a great place for those who's primary interest is cardio or who is just starting out. I'd just think that anybody serious about lifting would soon need to graduate to a different gym even if they wanted to keep using nothing but resistance machines.

Extension of everyone gets a trophy?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    No cell phones!? That is ridiculous. Am I supposed to dig out my Walkman from 1995 and find my old CDs? Or look in my junk drawer for my old iPod? What the hell?

Hopefully they're referring to talking on phones as opposed to using them as a music player.

Looking the rules, I'd guess the music they play in PF lowers testosterone levels a couple hundred points. Most likely need your own music.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Allowed at Planet Fitness:

Eating candy and pizza on the machines (don't worry, the candy and pizza are free and unlimited!)

3jqaz17madxv.png

Hold on she has her cell phone!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    No cell phones!? That is ridiculous. Am I supposed to dig out my Walkman from 1995 and find my old CDs? Or look in my junk drawer for my old iPod? What the hell?

It should say talking on cell phones. Nearly everyone has their cell phone and BT ear buds. If you take a call, walk outside or up front. Don't yak away on a treadmill.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    I can't run any more because of knees. Fast walk with incline or the ARCTrainer is fine. Circuit training is cardio with full body resistance training. I know that. I don't want to seriously weight train. I will be 60 in under 3 months; I have pretty much given up the dream of being an Olympic competitor or pro athlete. I worked hard to get fit and trim through diet and exercise that was primarily paddling for upper body and walking for general fitness. I won't be paddling much over the winter. I want to be fit in the spring.

I am sad that some people can't stand for there to be gyms that cater to the needs of people like me instead of only people who train hard with free weights.

I actually think you look great, and if PF works for you, then great! It's not you I disagree with.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I can't run any more because of knees. Fast walk with incline or the ARCTrainer is fine. Circuit training is cardio with full body resistance training. I know that. I don't want to seriously weight train. I will be 60 in under 3 months; I have pretty much given up the dream of being an Olympic competitor or pro athlete. I worked hard to get fit and trim through diet and exercise that was primarily paddling for upper body and walking for general fitness. I won't be paddling much over the winter. I want to be fit in the spring.

I am sad that some people can't stand for there to be gyms that cater to the needs of people like me instead of only people who train hard with free weights.

I cannot comment on PF where you are, I am in different country and although PF is theoretically the same brand and I understand some of their classes are the same around the glob, very different rules apply otherwise (I joined the local PF when I wanted to get back into lifting because it was the place with the most benches and free weights in the area for example, almost whole floor dedicated to free weights).
    But, what I can say, after decades of exercising and trying all different sorts of things: do what you like and ignore the haters. There are people who will choose one routine and fall in love with it (or be afraid to experiment, or be afraid to start something new where they will be beginners, or afraid to try routiness that will test their weaknesses) and will preach and preach about the benefits of what they have chosen. I have heard weight lifters act as if runners are not fit, runners wonder why lifters do not drop dead from lack of stamina, swimmers claim all land sports are boring, yoga fanatics claim muscles from lifting are just for show and do not reflect real strenght and so on.
    But I have seen people in awesome shape, fit, strong and looking amazing, in very different sports, and I have been happy with my routine and my results at different points in my life following all sorts of different routines, running, dancing, lifting, sailing, basketball, body weight training, cycling, doing pilates, swimming and I hope to find a lot more things as I grow (even) older. Do not try to defend your choices against people who cannot see at all beyond the one exercise routine that works for them ;) And enjoy whatever you are doing.