I need a hug (and a stepladder)

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    However Pinup, I have a hell of a time getting down on my knees and crawling around to get stuff out off low shelves and low, deep cupboards. Now that I'm 63 it's getting bad--I'm not a good contortionist.

I'm 6' and my wife is 5'4". I get the high stuff and she gets the low stuff. Means we do go shopping together a fair bit (for groceries, I'm not helping her with shoes)

This is great! BUT my husband and I are the same height. :'(
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    *hug* I'm afraid I can't help with the stepladder though!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2018

For a kitchen ladder.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rubbermaid-RM-2W-Folding-200-Pound-Capacity/dp/B003EYVF76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538125440&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchen+ladder

Not given her no hugs. She's mean to me

:)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member

For a kitchen ladder.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rubbermaid-RM-2W-Folding-200-Pound-Capacity/dp/B003EYVF76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538125440&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchen+ladder

Ahahaha, I might get that - i'm a good 5'4" when I'm stretching, so it's handy to have around. My new crush is 6'2", so if things work out maybe I'll have someone to help me with the top shelves :DB)
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Armpits. I hate standing at armpit height on tubes and busses (5 feet 3) 🙁

:tired_face:

Not able to see over anyone in a crowd.
    Top shelves of cupboards may as well not exist.
    Always pushed to the front in group photos.
    Cropped pants are just...pants.
    Tall people make short jokes :cry:

It's a cruel, cruel world :lol: Bright side - we fit better in airplane seats!

I'm 5'4" (actually 5' 3.5" ish but I'm maintaining the slight exaggeration) and the airplane seat thing is completely worth everything imo. I can act pathetic and helpless at the grocery store so someone else gets an item off the top shelf for me, tall people have no alternative other than buying expensive airplane tickets. I've read news stories about passengers getting into major fights over airplane seat reclining and I have no idea what the problem is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    patsyacs wrote: »
    you're right every fraction counts :)
    and you know that we shrink as we age. I was 5'3+ now in my 60s I'm at 5'2

Actually, I grew in my 40's. Exercise did that for me !!!
    Me, too.

My six-foot-tall kid younger sister loves to rest her elbow on my shoulder and announce that I'm her "little" sister. :/ My brother and father are 6'2" & 6'0", and my sisters & mom are 6'0", 5'11" & 5'10" (or were - parents have shrunk a bit). So at a "mere" 5'9" I've always been the short one in the family. (Yeah, yeah, I know you're all crying crocodile tears for me right now.)

About 10 years ago, they measured me at the doctor's office and I was 5'8" (d*mn you, middle age!). But then last year, they measured again and I was back to 5'9". Don't know if I actually shrunk and regrew, or if one of the measurement was wrong, but I'll take it. :)

People (especially male people) on busses and trains with their faces at bust level.

Have to turn into a pretzel to get at the bottom shelves.
    Kitchen counters are standardized at the proper height for for people 3-5" shorter than me.
    Chairs sometimes have attached neck-roll pillows that hit me right between the shoulder blades.
    Airplane seats are hell.
    Always in the back in group photos.
    Most regular pants are cropped pants - cropped pants are knickerbockers.
    Most long sleeves are 3/4 sleeves - 3/4 sleeves land uncomfortably in or just below the elbow.
    Tall means big feet: I never wear white shoes, for fear someone will mistake them for boats and want to charter one for a day cruise. ;)

There aren't all that many tall jokes, and most of them are beneath me.

Hey, start your own pity thread! :lol::wink:

You make some very valid points. My feet are small and cute, which I like. That attached neck-roll-pillow-thingie, though - all it does is push my head forward and make my neck hurt! Do those things actually work for anyone?
    No, I'm sure of it. Attached neck-roll-pillow-thingies are the spawn of Evil.

(Saving my rant about the small little super-cute shoes so easily found for small little super-cute feet, and the cuteness so often gone terribly awry when that same shoe is blown up to "Titanic" size, for my own pity thread. ;) )

So I probably should post a picture of my latest cute shoe purchase, huh?
    fw04gws63vty.jpg
    ohkix8xw304v.jpg

Oh, the shoes! Adorable!
    Right. Now just imagine them with half again as much space between toe and bow.

(As if they would even come in Size 11...)

But, I can get away with using the top of my refrigerator as a microwave stand, and the top of my microwave as a kitchen shelf...

We're twinsies, @Evelyn_Gorfram. 5'9", size 11.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    patsyacs wrote: »
    you're right every fraction counts :)
    and you know that we shrink as we age. I was 5'3+ now in my 60s I'm at 5'2

Actually, I grew in my 40's. Exercise did that for me !!!
    Me, too.

My six-foot-tall kid younger sister loves to rest her elbow on my shoulder and announce that I'm her "little" sister. :/ My brother and father are 6'2" & 6'0", and my sisters & mom are 6'0", 5'11" & 5'10" (or were - parents have shrunk a bit). So at a "mere" 5'9" I've always been the short one in the family. (Yeah, yeah, I know you're all crying crocodile tears for me right now.)

About 10 years ago, they measured me at the doctor's office and I was 5'8" (d*mn you, middle age!). But then last year, they measured again and I was back to 5'9". Don't know if I actually shrunk and regrew, or if one of the measurement was wrong, but I'll take it. :)

People (especially male people) on busses and trains with their faces at bust level.

Have to turn into a pretzel to get at the bottom shelves.
    Kitchen counters are standardized at the proper height for for people 3-5" shorter than me.
    Chairs sometimes have attached neck-roll pillows that hit me right between the shoulder blades.
    Airplane seats are hell.
    Always in the back in group photos.
    Most regular pants are cropped pants - cropped pants are knickerbockers.
    Most long sleeves are 3/4 sleeves - 3/4 sleeves land uncomfortably in or just below the elbow.
    Tall means big feet: I never wear white shoes, for fear someone will mistake them for boats and want to charter one for a day cruise. ;)

There aren't all that many tall jokes, and most of them are beneath me.

Hey, start your own pity thread! :lol::wink:

You make some very valid points. My feet are small and cute, which I like. That attached neck-roll-pillow-thingie, though - all it does is push my head forward and make my neck hurt! Do those things actually work for anyone?
    No, I'm sure of it. Attached neck-roll-pillow-thingies are the spawn of Evil.

(Saving my rant about the small little super-cute shoes so easily found for small little super-cute feet, and the cuteness so often gone terribly awry when that same shoe is blown up to "Titanic" size, for my own pity thread. ;) )

So I probably should post a picture of my latest cute shoe purchase, huh?
    fw04gws63vty.jpg
    ohkix8xw304v.jpg

Oh, the shoes! Adorable!
    Right. Now just imagine them with half again as much space between toe and bow.

(As if they would even come in Size 11...)

But, I can get away with using the top of my refrigerator as a microwave stand, and the top of my microwave as a kitchen shelf...

We're twinsies, @Evelyn_Gorfram. 5'9", size 11.

I feel for you two so much. I'm 5'8", size 10 and I get so frustrated trying to find cute shoes. You see them displayed in a size 6 and they are freaking adorable, even if you find them in a 10+ (unlikely) they most certainly wont look the same on my yachts. Meanwhile my wife is 5'3" with a size 6 and prefers more masculine styles which is just as impossible. No one wins this game. :D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    5ft 2 1/4" here and most of the time I don't actually mind being petite, unless I stand beside my 6ft 3" son! yeah that's when I feel very tiny.

I have a 3 step wooden step ladder one of my sons made at woodwork when they were at school, I can't tell you how handy that has been to me over the years :smiley:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

For a kitchen ladder.

That's ok. I hug you all the time anyway :tongue: Unless I'm wooing you.

Well, stop it. We're both married......
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'8.5"

It's my mother's fault I'm not 6'. My dad comes from a family of giants (I have a 3rd cousin who's 6'11") even though he's the shorty of the family at 5'11". Mom, however, she's 4'10". Her mom...4'6".
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It's my mother's fault I'm not 6'. My dad comes from a family of giants (I have a 3rd cousin who's 6'11") even though he's the shorty of the family at 5'11". Mom, however, she's 4'10". Her mom...4'6".

It could have been worse! :lol: At least you wound up closer to his height than her's.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I'm 5'9", and hubby claims 5'7" like @pinuplove claims 5'3".