October Self-Care Challenge

Options
twyla77
twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
Wow, I can't believe it's almost October already! Hoping everyone will be joining the October thread, and hope to have some new friends come hang out with us too! I love that even if I don't log something each day, I can still pop by to read what everyone else is up to - always leaves me with a smile on my face! Thanks!

For the new joiners, here's a little bit about what the Self-Care Challenge is about!

We're all here on MFP to improve our physical health & strengthen our bodies, but what about working on our mental health? As indulgent as the term "self-care" sounds, it really is an important way to help prevent "overload burnout" as well as reduce the negative effects of every day stress.

I'm committing to 1 act of self-care every day of October! These acts don't have to be costly or time consuming, just little things that I can work into my regular schedule to help me feel good mentally while I work on feeling good physically!

If anyone wants to join this challenge please do - if you want to log in daily or a few times over the month to comment/share what you're up to, that would be great - the more ideas the better, because not everyone feels the same about certain things - some people might consider a day at the spa getting a pedicure and facial relaxing, but to me that would be a stressful afternoon! To each their own, this isn't about what's right or what's wrong, it's about what makes YOU feel good!

A few ideas from blogs, articles & friends to get started:
*try a new recipe
*say no to something without feeling guilty / realize the benefits of saying no to some things
*declutter your wardrobe / donate some items of clothing that you haven't worn or no longer fit
*get up out of your office chair and go for a walk (outdoors if possible!)
*start a puzzle
*tell yourself a body positive affirmation such as "I love _______ about my body because it makes me feel special & unique."
*go for a bike ride to nowhere in particular, just for fun! Not to get your Fitbit number up, but just because you feel like it.
*clean up your work area / desk
*unplug for a few hours and enjoy a cup of tea and a book
*buy a drugstore face-mask and a fun nail polish and have a DIY pampering session
*watch a TEDtalk about something you're interested in, or something you'd like to learn more about
*diffuse some uplifting essential oils

Anyways, even if you don't join the daily challenge, I hope you still take a bit of time in October to do something great, just for yourself! You deserve it!

Replies

• MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm in! The next few months can be fun but stressful. It's important that we take care of ourselves!
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    I am in for October!

I've got my habit tracker app ready to go and I'm going to checking off all those healthy habits!

Also, October is my favorite time of year, so I have some fun activities planned!
    What habit tracker do you use? I'm considering using one!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new link. This is such a helpful tool for me and many others. The thread gives me so many ideas and also inspires me. Xo
  • charity_c
    charity_c Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. How does it work? Do we just login everyday?
  • Salinde2016
    Salinde2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also would like to join :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @charity_c
    @Salinde2016
    @aemsley05

You're in!

It's up to you how many times you post. No pressure.

For me, I find I'm more likely to come back and get nice inspiration and encouragement if I keep checking the thread every day or so, and reply as much as I can.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    @twyla77
    Thank you so much!
    Your Self-Care Challenge has had a huge impact on me!

Thank you for continuing it in lovely October!! 🎃
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would like to join for Oct please, please join me up. Thank you
  • twyla77
    Options
    @dejavuohlala welcome! :)
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I am in for October!

I've got my habit tracker app ready to go and I'm going to checking off all those healthy habits!

Also, October is my favorite time of year, so I have some fun activities planned!

I use Loop Habit Tracker. So far it's really been helping.
  • CupcakeDJD
    CupcakeDJD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can a newbie join? I would love a reminder to make time each day to do something good for myself.
  • mrivera0481
    mrivera0481 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started my goal to lose over 100 pounds and I would love to join this challenge.
  • twyla77
    Options
    @CupcakeDJD newbies are totally welcome! glad you’re joining us! :)
    @mrivera0481 welcome! can’t wait to support you on your way to your goal! <3
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    Options
    I am in for October!

I use Loop Habit Tracker. So far it's really been helping.
    Thanks!

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing much on the self-care front (other than reading), but after seeing a fellow MFPer's bullet journal entries (@tinkerbellang83), I decided to give it a try. I've been reading about bullet journaling recently, and I had a pretty journal from Michael's (with "Bright Ideas" in a floral design on the cover), so I dug out my markers and colored pencils.

This was so quick, easy, and fun! I even managed to let go of my perfectionism when I messed up an "a" (I've read that you're not supposed to worry about such things when bullet journaling).

I know we have some really creative people on this thread; maybe someone else would like to join me? (I am NOT artistic, but I still had fun. ;) )
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I haven't been doing much on the self-care front (other than reading), but after seeing a fellow MFPer's bullet journal entries (@tinkerbellang83), I decided to give it a try. I've been reading about bullet journaling recently, and I had a pretty journal from Michael's (with "Bright Ideas" in a floral design on the cover), so I dug out my markers and colored pencils.

This was so quick, easy, and fun! I even managed to let go of my perfectionism when I messed up an "a" (I've read that you're not supposed to worry about such things when bullet journaling).

I know we have some really creative people on this thread; maybe someone else would like to join me? (I am NOT artistic, but I still had fun. ;) )

You made me Google.

https://bulletjournal.com/pages/learn

That sounds like what I've been doing in my ToDoist app.

My app is making me so productive I don't want to mess with things, but I do have the urge to start a journal or diary soon. Just haven't worked out the format that will mean I keep doing it.

I keep a Word document of Good Things that happen which works as the diary I want to remember, along with my Instagram feed of Art/Photography I'm proud of.

A bullet journal sounds like a lovely idea for someone not so digital-oriented as I am.