October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 I saw this and asked a colleague real quick. He's a physician that lifts hard core and specializes in weight loss. He said that ALT can rise moderately with running those distances, but AST rises even more because even though it is a liver test, it's in other places in the body too. He did also say that 7 days of rest would give a more accurate result. His input is only one, but I love learning and wondered what he would say!

@AprilRN10 Thank you for asking, but my ALT is much higher than AST. Both are higher than they should be, though.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 You're welcome. I asked because 1) you asked and 2) I didn't know the answer. I don't give medical advice because of legal risk, but I should know the answer. If I don't know it, I want to know it. I agree with Elise that it shouldn't be dismissed. I do know that elevated enzymes don't always indicate a problem. Sometimes they are chronic and benign, but I feel that everything should be ruled out before that's decided.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I have a question for the group, particularly anyone who runs similar or higher miles than me (i.e. about 40-50 miles/week):

For the 2nd year in a row, my ALT/AST results have been very high. I asked my dr. and he wanted to do a re-test this year, which was done a month later with a different lab and they were even worse! I don't drink alcohol, but did when I was younger. I've had maybe a dozen drinks in the last few years.

After the 2nd test came back even higher, he just brushed it off as just high because I run so much. Does anyone else who runs that many miles see high ALT/AST results? If not, I need to be concerned.

a google search seems to agree with the dr.
    someone even asked runners world

Yes, I found that it could be a cause of elevated results... but this is really high.

ETA: Did they really suggest not running for A WEEK?! I can't do that, so I guess I'll never get a good test result, then. :'(

Aside from the running it's pretty common for diabetics to have weird livers. Mine gets irritated for no readily-identifiable reason sometimes. That might be part of what the doctor is factoring into his opinion.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    since i didn't add the ticker on my last couple of posts
    so here is a picture of the new foster. wasn't supposed to have one this month but there were extra dogs

cy7izvny8lno.png

exercise.png

What big sweet eyes! Did you hear anything back on the bunny? We used to foster orphan bunnies, and they will break your heart... they are so fragile and easily stressed. Hoping for the best!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp
    Thanks for your insight. Times, I think, are directly related to the price one chooses to pay.
    @AprilRN10
    Congratulations on your PB!!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld -- I thought you disappeared! Haha! Congrats on a couple of great races and glad your PF didn't come into play and your stayed injury free on the tricky grass course!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the group, particularly anyone who runs similar or higher miles than me (i.e. about 40-50 miles/week):

For the 2nd year in a row, my ALT/AST results have been very high. I asked my dr. and he wanted to do a re-test this year, which was done a month later with a different lab and they were even worse! I don't drink alcohol, but did when I was younger. I've had maybe a dozen drinks in the last few years.

After the 2nd test came back even higher, he just brushed it off as just high because I run so much. Does anyone else who runs that many miles see high ALT/AST results? If not, I need to be concerned.

Sample of one, pulled my file of blood work . . . and saw both ALT an AST within the reference range. In the top half of the range, but not super close to the top end.

I might not have been running as many miles as you when the tests were done. Most recent one was done when I was rehabbing/pointing at Boston, weekly running miles high 30s to low 40s before the test.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner Being that you are diabetic, I believe you are at higher risk for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, so I would ask for an ultrasound to check the gallbladder and liver. My liver function tests were high when my gallbladder went on the fritz, but I can’t remember which ones. Seems safer to rule things out than assume the high numbers are from running. My liver function tests were high last week, but I have other obvious symptoms; it was caused from a medication.

@fitoverfortymom Sorry to hear about your stress fracture!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    PastorVincent wrote: »
    10/01 - 10 miles
    10/02 - 0 miles
    10/03 - 11 miles
    10/04 - 9 miles
    10/05 - 0
    10/06 - 12? Forgot to start watch *grumble*
    10/07 - 0
    10/08 - 15.5

Upcoming Races:

Harvest 10 Miler - November 2018

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    And I've just received confirmation that my 10k today was short.

Important Note on Today's Course
    We want to update you on a late course change we adopted in today’s race.

After today’s race began, race organizers and volunteers working the second turn-around point on Memorial Drive were asked for cooperation by area public safety agencies on moving the location of the turn-around point. In an effort to be as responsive and collaborative as possible, we altered the traditional location of this turn-around by approximately 150 meters. The result, unfortunately, was a shortened race course by approximately 300 meters, thereby making the day's race ineligible for records. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

That's the first time I've heard of a course being altered after the race has started.