Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Another why can't I lose weight thread

Replies

• GlynIrish
    GlynIrish Posts: 84 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    For September 1 to 30 your Calories (as logged) by macros were 1737 a day.

26.50% Carbs, or 115g, 50.37% fats or 97g, 23.12% or 100g Protein.
    Cholesterol was 679, sodium 1784, sugar 30g, and fiber 10g.

My first though is that you ought to be constipated, but hey, that's probably on me ;-)

My second thought is that depending on your activity level this looks like fairly low carb to me. Which makes the low sodium, especially if you sweat at work and while exercising a bit of a question.

as a 5ft 7" 48yo, I lost a lot of weight while *eating* over 2560 Cal a day. I was more than MFP's "very active" setting mainly because of walking just under 19000 steps on average during each day.

You seem to be giving no thought to the fact that by definition being on your feet all day means that you are NOT sedentary.

In fact, working in small kitchen for 4 to 6 hours would make you active. Working in a large kitchen for more than that? I think that the previous suggestion of very active would apply.

In any case.

Manipulate your carbs as per refeeds thread and perhaps time them with activity.

Looking at some of your logged days... they appear to be very limited as to total food eaten. You may want to quickly review your national food recommendations for veggies, fruits, grains, etc.

Protein at 100g is also low for a male who weighs 200+ lbs and has more than 170lbs of lean mass (based on numbers I saw further up).

In the three days I looked at in more detail I saw the logging of Mayo, but I didn't see any other oils logged during cooking (they might be inside the recipe). As a chef it is likely you use oil/butter during cooking so you should make sure to log the proportion you're eating.

Also surprised at low sodium as most commercial chefs tend to use a lot of seasoning.

I am mixed. at the back of my mind there is the bit that says that you MAY be making logging errors; but, I think it is extremely likely that between relatively low carb and large deficit you're in a state of appetite suppression that ends with bodily slow down and malnutrition or bingeing when you hit a certain spot.

If you're 20% body fat, 2lbs a week is too much. Your deficit should not be exceeding 20% of your daily tdee. Your TDEE is probably north of 3000 Cal a day which means that a deficit eating target would still be in the 2500 range.

I would read through refeeds/diet break carefully. And would review and double check my logging practices just to be sure.

Outliers DO exist -- it is not impossible. Just un-common. More common on MFP because it stands to reason that outliers may be looking for solutions. STILL.

Oh. And use a trending weight app. Check that your scale has fresh batteries. Make sure it is on the same/unyielding piece of flooring. Make sure you weight wearing the same/not wearing the same clothes and under similar conditions (e.g. after using the washroom and before eating or drinking).

Thanks for your input I appreciate it
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    One thing that I don't think has been asked yet (I'm not going to reread, cuz lazy): are you sampling as you cook? I know it can be important to make sure the food is good, but depending on where you work, that may not be a thing.

given the profession that could be extremely important in terms of total calories and can easily be done without even thinking about.
  • GlynIrish
    One thing that I don't think has been asked yet (I'm not going to reread, cuz lazy): are you sampling as you cook? I know it can be important to make sure the food is good, but depending on where you work, that may not be a thing.

given the profession that could be extremely important in terms of total calories and can easily be done without even thinking about.

I do not work as a chef anymore yes I am a qualified chef but I done a major career change 10 years ago I now work self employed as a panel beater and spray painter
  • PAV8888

I do not work as a chef anymore yes I am a qualified chef but I done a major career change 10 years ago I now work self employed as a panel beater and spray painter

Not sure what beating panels involves; but spraying paint involves swinging a bit of a weight for a few hours at a time... making you at an absolute minimum active... not counting deliberate exercise on top. based on the 1.8x multiplier MFP uses for very active, i would have thought very active as a safe bet; and I don't see how I could justify lower than active.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    You mentioned you are a chef by trade. How often do you taste what you are cooking? Those calories can add up amazingly fast!
  • PAV8888
    You mentioned you are a chef by trade. How often do you taste what you are cooking? Those calories can add up amazingly fast!

he no longer chefs. He has been doing construction work.
  • GlynIrish
    Danp wrote: »
    Something that seems to have worked out for me when logging entries that require estimation is to approach it slightly pessimistically.

The diary entries in the database can vary wildly and it's so tempting to select the '25cals per slice' entry than the '100cals per slice' so that your numbers look good. To combat this and also counter the human tendency to inaccurately estimate in our favour (i.e. we tend to under estimate food portion size and calorie content and over estimate exercise and activity calorie output), I'd pick an entry that was towards the 'bad' end of the scale figuring that if I was gonna be wrong I'd rather be wrong in the direction that was gonna help me lose weight.

I actually do that some times aswell if I can't find something accurate I over add it instead of picking the smaller number the same goes for exercise I put in the lower number