Looking for information on workout types

Options
I really need to figure out a solid workout that offers some major results. Right now I am just concerned with getting my 10K steps in a day, which I usually do. Problem is that I haven't incorporated any strength or resistance.

Questions: Where did you start? What workouts do you like, and how can I get started?

Thanks!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What kind of movement and activity interests you? The best "program" is one you are happy to keep up and look forward to getting to.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What sort of results are you after?
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    @MelanieCN77 I like outdoor stuff, but I have never been into any sports. It just never interested me. I like to hike and walk but neither of those do any toning for my arms, back, stomach, etc.

@cerise_noir I'm looking for toning. I am at a decent weight, think I've got about another 10-15 pounds to lose (vanity weight) but I am seeing that my body is not tone at all. I have a desk job and commute almost 3 hours a day. I'm just all over the place and want to find something that I can get some good results with, as I don't have a lot of hours in my day to do a lot with.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You can get a fair way at home with a small variety of dumbbells and body weight, which in addition to hiking and walking would eventually do some nice things for your physique. If you don't want to freestyle it and have limited time I recommend checking this thread and getting started on something as a trial:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Let octogenarian Ruth Bader Ginsburg be an inspiration to us all: http://www.health.com/fitness/ruth-bader-ginsburg-workout

I do this at home: The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too! and really like it. It's a full body workout that I do twice a week and find the right amount of challenging.

I started off with weights and bands that I already had, got some more from freecycle, and recently upped my workout by buying a slant bench and heavier weights. Although the dumb bells come in multiple packages, my UPS driver was not pleased ;)