New to Keto

Options
It’s been a full week for me on Keto. I just been eating the basic eggs chicken beacon avocado sausage and walnuts. This week coming in I’m going to open up the menu. Let’s go!

Replies

• Jamie_Barnes
    Jamie_Barnes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about keto can you help me understand it
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    The short version is you severely limit carbs and increase fats. The best fat is saturated Olive oil or coconut oil the worst is vegetable or corn oil. Eat adequate protein. Once in ketosis your body switches over to burn fat and ketones for fuel instead of the carbs it was using before.

The best fat is MUFA and PUFA. Those have been highly correlated to improving health.

I don't know where you get this the SFA is beneficial. At best, its nutruel.

OP, incorporating fish, dark leafy greens, low gi veggies, cheese, and full fat dairy are a good way to start. Make sure you get enough sodium 3500mg+.

Dont worry about getting enough fat.. focus more on carbs and adequate protein, especially if you care about retaining muscle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lots of information (in the stickies) and support in these groups:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Keto was summarized well: low carb, moderate protein and higher fat intake is followed to mainly use fats and ketones for fuel rather than mainly using glucose/carbs.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The short version is you severely limit carbs and increase fats. The best fat is saturated Olive oil or coconut oil the worst is vegetable or corn oil. Eat adequate protein. Once in ketosis your body switches over to burn fat and ketones for fuel instead of the carbs it was using before.

The best fat is MUFA and PUFA. Those have been highly correlated to improving health.

OP, incorporating fish, dark leafy greens, low gi veggies, cheese, and full fat dairy are a good way to start. Make sure you get enough sodium 3500mg+.

Dont worry about getting enough fat.. focus more on carbs and adequate protein, especially if you care about retaining muscle.

I think saturated fat is good for cooking. It is the most stable. It appears to have no negative or extra beneficial effect on health as far as I can see. It tends to increase HDL and lower triglycerides, but it's arguable whether that causes anything... it appears to correlate to better CVD health, but that is not definitive either.

Omega 3's are really the only PUFA that shows benefits to cvd health. Fish, walnuts and flaxmeal are good sources. The vegetable oils only have convenience and cost as a benefit going for them, IMO. Or perhaps calories if you need calories. For health, they tend to raise cancer risk and mortality rates. generally speaking, fats that are considered healthiest are usually lowest in PUFAs from vegetable oils.

MUFAs are similar to SFAs when it comes to CVD benefits, with a slightly better correlation to good CVD health. For cooking though? SFA's are more stable. Uncooked? Olive oil and coconut oil correlate with some health benefits.... of course, both are high is saturated fats too.

This chart is interesting. It's a shame PUFAs not broken down into Omega 3 and omega 6s.

Fat-types-Graph.png
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’m on a deli-salad kick lately: chicken, turkey, egg, lobster, whatever. Served over greens and/or with a side of berries it makes a complete keto meal. Also, has anyone told you about coleslaw mix yet? Buy a bag in the salad aisle, sauté it and season it like rice. You can’t eat unlimited amounts, but you can definitely make it a filling and satisfying side to a calorie-rich main. Macadamia nuts and pecans are good, and can also be ground up and mixed with butter and cheese to make a “crust.” I carry jerky in my purse, and Lily’s chocolate bars are inherently keto (they’re also quite high in fiber, so stick to one serving!). Pesto is also keto; toss some shrimp in pesto and serve over roasted zucchini or cauliflower. Adding heavy cream or coconut milk to soups and sauces tends to get your macros into a keto-y place, so keep those in stock, and I also make it a policy to never run out of raspberries. Happy eating!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    100 grams of olive oil has 14 grams of saturated fat, 11 grams of poly unsaturated fat and 73 grams of mono unsaturated fat. What exactly is "a saturated Olive oil."

Sorry, typo. Saturated fat, coconut oil and olive oil are favored. Heavily processed oils like corn, sunflower and vegetable oils are not.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

There is a great youtube lecture that a dietitian and MD gave at a conference relating to what fats are good and why getting down to the molecular level. I think the doctor goes under the heading FitterU
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    been doing keto for about two weeks. lots of eggs and chicken. keep jerky in my car to snack on. seen some good recipes online. don't like raspberries no matter how many times i try them. def have side effects of metallic taste in mouth sometimes. good luck to all.