What was your “reason” for gaining the weight?

Options

Replies

• hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just realy love food. And for some reason i can really down it. I can eat way too much. That and general laziness.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    4 kids in 5 years. All single births. I was never able to lose all the baby weight before getting prego again. And 3 of the pregnancies I gained more than the 25/30 pounds reccomended.

I did lose some of it after my last was weaned, but then hubby quite trucking. And now was home at night eating ice cream and wanting to eat out. I like eating ice cream and eating out. Gained all I lost back.

I am more committed now, and can refuse food when he eats his junk (I eat mine earlier in the day if I want ice cream). Right now I am watching him eat pizza rolls.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Mindless grazing while watching TV in the evenings.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I wasn't paying attention to what was on the end of my fork.

That's it. Bad choices. No one to blame but myself.
  • Claremoak
    Claremoak Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Could list any number of things i.e. childhood, always was "chubby", babies, work, cancer, knee surgery, LIFE. But basically I am lazy, like to snack and hate to exercise, and I eat the most when I "sneak it" (definitely a childhood thing!). All those LIFE things were just excuses not to take control of my emotional eating. Everyone has their demons. I will always struggle, but just keep working on it. The successes are motivational.
  • photojo582
    photojo582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me I think it began when I stopped doing heavier and harder work and didn't change my eating habits.
    But the main reason is probably years of dealing with depression and some other mental challenges.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I self medicated, with food, my postpartum depression. Also breastfed for 2 years and it made me crazy hungry, so that didn't help. Tis why I always harumph when people say nursing will help you lose weight. (p.s. My "baby" is 17 now :D )
  • lilly8529
    lilly8529 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It was a stressful job I got last year. I was so miserable I quit after eight months. I gained almost 10 pounds the first month from not having time to eat healthy meals for breakfast or the energy to work out. The company said most people that work there gain about 20 pounds the first year. I knew it wasn't for me.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was always a heavier kid. Tallest in my class and bigger than all the other girls. As I got older, I thinned out but was always 'Big". Graduated high school at 167, which obviously didn't make me the biggest person in the world, but... When I was 16, my childhood friend was found murdered and I was there when he took his last breath before they pulled him off life support. It was awful. I went on anti-depressants sometime in college, maybe when I was 20? Unfortunately, me being overweight prior and then taking this medication, did not help me. I gained like 50 lbs in a year. I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and started some other medications and gained enough weight to put me at 280 lbs by the time I was 25. I started WW and lost 50 lbs. Got off all medication. Then maintained that for a time until I lost 15 more pounds and maintained that for 6 years. Had three children, 4 pregnancies. I gained baby weight and lost baby weight. I never got back to 280 or even close, thankfully.
    Since the birth of my last child, (6 years) I have been making exercise and eating better a priority and have gotten down to 160 lbs. Still have 6 lbs to go to be "normal". Definitely a process.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I ate when I was sad, angry, or stressed. During my undergrad of college and my first year of grad school, that happened to be 99% of the time.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I lost my sons. They died a day apart from each other. I dealt with my grief through food and drugs. I'm currently 4, almost 5 years clean of heroin, but my weight kept going up and up as I wasn't dealing with their deaths properly.

So sorry for your loss ❤️ You are amazing to have stayed heroin free. All the best for your future and I hope you get the help you need.
  • cravinglifechants
    cravinglifechants Posts: 502 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It started out when I was a teen with a stupid overconfidence. I was convinced that my weight wouldn't change because, despite my horrid eating habits at the time, the scale never went over 75kg (approx 165). Naturally, that didn't last, but the pisspoor eating habits did. Emotional eating added to the problem, and when puberty hit with all the force of a cosmic time-space rupture, things went straight to hell. Although I count myself blessed to not be dealing with PCOS, I do have PCO, which doesn't help matters, and hypothyroidism.

Basically, Me + Laziness + Food + No Longer Giving Any Fricks = Match made in Luci's cooking pot.

It got to the point where I wouldn't bother buying groceries. It was too easy to buy a nice big Wimpy breakfast with extras, buy some snacks, buy a double lunch, and then throw on some large pizza with extra toppings for dinner. Naturally, being unhappy with how I looked, I consoled myself with chocolate - because that fixes everything. I look back and I call myself an *kitten*. Now I'm just trying to fix the mess I got myself into. Better late than never!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    - laziness
    - sedentary job/lifestyle with no exercise
    - Had two kids and didn't try to lose the weight from the first baby because I knew I was going to do it all over again (do I ever regret that! I might not have all the loose skin if I had worked on lowering my weight before my second pregnancy).
    - breastfeeding. I used that as such an excuse. It made me crave sweets, but it's not like I tried to be reasonable about it.