Biking up hill

Options

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Going back to the pedal thing, because... well, I'm not sure why... probably just because I'm bored...

I would guess you see more benefit from the better power transfer coming from super stiff soles clipped to the pedal than you do from "being able to pull up and push down" while pedaling. I don't think anyone had mentioned that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    To go back to the question in which someone asked what is the grade of the hills where I'm having trouble. Per Strava 7-12%. It looks like I've made up 5-6% grades. So what do you make of that?
  • Ridelikethewind1
    Ridelikethewind1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It’s quite simple, ease yourself forward slightly on the saddle, that’s shifting weight away from the back wheel and towards the front and bend your arm which will bring weight over the front wheel, keeping weight on it, plus lowering your centre of gravity, I have to do this all the time.
    Do take pressure out your front tyre, you will puncture, no need to push down on the bars.
    Mark
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    To go back to the question in which someone asked what is the grade of the hills where I'm having trouble. Per Strava 7-12%. It looks like I've made up 5-6% grades. So what do you make of that?

My opinion is definitely consider a cassette change if you want to, or have to, tackle those grades regularly.
    I live close to a long ridge of hills with grades of 10 - 17% with some extremes of 20% and run cassettes with a low bottom gear to help me up those hills. Haven't had to walk a hill in years and the difference between keeping a reasonable cadence and slowing to a grind is huge.

Did this route recently with a far better rider than me and was able to keep with them purely because I had the right gears and they were geared for the flat.

rv7rlpoy3z1x.png

• jjpptt2
    Options

In my opinion, it doesn't mean anything. It just gives you a baseline for where you're at right now. Less than 5%? Good to go. More than 5%? Iffy. Now you know where you're at, you can plan your upcoming rides accordingly.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

In my opinion, it doesn't mean anything. It just gives you a baseline for where you're at right now. Less than 5%? Good to go. More than 5%? Iffy. Now you know where you're at, you can plan your upcoming rides accordingly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

12% grades are difficult for all cyclists, including the professionals. Hurricane Ridge Road averages 8%!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Going back to the pedal thing, because... well, I'm not sure why... probably just because I'm bored...

I would guess you see more benefit from the better power transfer coming from super stiff soles clipped to the pedal than you do from "being able to pull up and push down" while pedaling. I don't think anyone had mentioned that.

I'll cosign this.

While we're on the subject, if you ever start getting hot spots on the bottom of your feet after rides, stiff soled shoes are the answer.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    What tires do you have on your road bike, and what size?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I downloaded Strava and it says I must autopay $7.99 a month so I deleted it, then when I went to the website it says "download our free app". How does this work? Free to download but pay to use?

I'm not seeing where I can plan a route on the website.

I worked out some rough grade numbers using google map elevations and distances and the hills in my neighborhood are 6-10%.

It's free.

Unless you want to get the paid version.

I don't plan routes on the website, I just ride them and look at them after I ride them. I plan routes on Ride with GPS.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options

Personally, I'm OK with hills under 10%. I'm slow on them, but I can make it up. But then I've got really low gears.

Once a hill goes over 10% it becomes more of a struggle.

Since you're starting out with this, I'd focus on the 5-6% grades and get so that you feel quite comfortable on them, and then start adding in steeper grades.
  • lorrpb
    Options

Machka9 wrote: »

Personally, I'm OK with hills under 10%. I'm slow on them, but I can make it up. But then I've got really low gears.

Since you're starting out with this, I'd focus on the 5-6% grades and get so that you feel quite comfortable on them, and then start adding in steeper grades.

Can you explain what gearing you have for "really low gears"? Thx.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

My cassette is an 11-32t which gives me a couple of good climbing gears to work with.

Something else you may want to consider doing a couple times per week are some hill repeats on a hill that is challenging, but doable...hill repeats have definitely improved my climbing game.
  • lorrpb
    Options

700x23 Gatorskin. What difference does this make?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come out sounding snarky, but I really think you're over thinking things.

Just go ride. You'll improve quickly, and most of the conversation will become moot. If there's an actual problem, then that's one thing... but it sounds like you're just new to cycling and need more time in the saddle.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Good choice. Keep those for a while.

Bigger tires are heavier (small difference) and are like using a harder gear (medium difference). People use fat tires anyway because they can be more comfortable. But we live in an unusually hilly place, and our hills are steeper than most. 23s are perfect.
  • lorrpb
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't come out sounding snarky, but I really think you're over thinking things.

Just go ride. You'll improve quickly, and most of the conversation will become moot. If there's an actual problem, then that's one thing... but it sounds like you're just new to cycling and need more time in the saddle.

I don’t think it’s snarky, but I’m just responding to various questions others have asked and trying learn. People have asked about my gears, road grades, tires, etc so I responded and want to know why they ask.

I totally agree, I’m a very new rider and definitely need lots of time in the saddle.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My cassette is an 11-32t which gives me a couple of good climbing gears to work with.

Something else you may want to consider doing a couple times per week are some hill repeats on a hill that is challenging, but doable...hill repeats have definitely improved my climbing game.

I used to do hill repeats every other day and it took a week or two before I noticed a really big difference.

On the other hand, you'll get plenty of hills in a lot of rides just because they're unavoidable. And those will make you a stronger rider too. Especially as you're new to cycling. It's ok to just take your "intervals" as mother nature delivers them to you.

I know that you're competitive in triathlon. This isn't a "you're out of shape" thing, it's a "you're not adapted to road cycling" thing. Which is good news, because you sorry have a base to build on, and this will come much quicker than trying to build fitness from the couch.
  • lorrpb
    Options

Good choice. Keep those for a while.

Bigger tires are heavier (small difference) and are like using a harder gear (medium difference). People use fat tires anyway because they can be more comfortable. But we live in an unusually hilly place, and our hills are steeper than most. 23s are perfect.

Thanks, good to know!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The smaller front sprocket and largest rear sprocket will be the easiest and with the highest cadence.

Start with that and keep shifting the rear to a larger sprocket as you get more conditioned. Once you get to the smallest rear sprocket it will be time to switch to the larger front sprocket and repeat the rear sprocket process.

Hope this helps.