Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You were doing pretty well there until you told us what we need to do.

Amen...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I use keto as a lifestyle and not just a diet to lose weight and find a magic pill result. My health has never been as good as it is now. Processed carbs do damage to your health. my blood pressure, Cholesterol and sugar are great now. i no longer suffer from joints and lower back pain. Keto helps with inflammations. In less than a year I have lost 82 pounds and my energy levels are high. you have to educate yourself about keto and not just say you are doing keto and end up doing it wrong. you could do more damage than good.

You were doing pretty well there until you told us what we need to do.

My body weight, BP, cholesterol, and general health are fine, now, just from losing weight, while eating around 200g carbs most days. Joint problems also improved dramatically (though the torn meniscus for which I'm deferring surgery is not magically fixed). I never had problems with blood sugar; but didn't eat truly huge amounts of processed carbs even when I was obese.

Personally, for me - especially as a vegetarian - cutting way back on vegetables, fruits, and legumes would be really dissatisfying. Also, I doubt that eating fewer vegetables is generally a good idea for most people.

I recognize that some people find themselves eating more vegetables while keto then they did previously, which will be a change for the healthier, for them. But my routine is 5+ servings minimum daily, often hitting servings in the teens, and recently hit 24 servings one day, which may be a PR. I would need to dramatically reduce veggies/fruit to reach keto levels of carbs, and I don't think that would be a healthier choice for me. (I'd also have to reduce dairy intake, something my Northern European genes make me tolerate just fine, and which I enjoy.)

Keto can be great for some, and seems to be sustainable for some. That's wonderful! The evangelical approach of saying it would be best for all . . . no. And I'm betting that "you must" is not the most effective way to convert those who are on the fence, either.

Where did he tell anyone what they need to do or say that it was best for all?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This sounds good, thanks for the idea. https://www.familycircle.com/recipe/steak-with-berry-sauce/ Mulberries are coming into season soon. So good.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    keto is great for weight loss but not a sustainable diet

I'm four years in now, so we know it can be sustainable.

Perhaps sustainable was not in reference to the individual.

I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Canada, beef is the only sustainable food around here beyond some berries in the summer. ;)

I'm not sure in the longer term beef from living animals is sustainable anywhere on this planet, but I don't begrudge people living beyond their means in a global system that has set them and their expectations up for it.

How kind.

Flying in tofu or bananas or beans is better, I guess...
    Well in the long run, there are zero carbon ways to transport goods, even flying them places. In the long run, there is no way for a ruminant to remain a ruminant and not produce methane.
    You also seem to assume I don't think environmental changes will involve people moving. The potential futures I can envision do not hold human autonomy as highly much of western, individualistic liberalism does.

When I envision the future, it seems that living in an area that doesn't have the ability to feed the population will be a luxury, a choice that's only available to a select few.

Oh, I don't know. Many places like deserts have potential for solar or wind power which the rest of us producers of food may desperately need in the future. So people that live there and run power stations might be just fine.
    However, living in the Mediterranean basin, I just can't get into Keto. People here have food traditions that go back centuries. I like this way of eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Canada, beef is the only sustainable food around here beyond some berries in the summer. ;)

I'm not sure in the longer term beef from living animals is sustainable anywhere on this planet, but I don't begrudge people living beyond their means in a global system that has set them and their expectations up for it.

How kind.

Well in the long run, there are zero carbon ways to transport goods, even flying them places. In the long run, there is no way for a ruminant to remain a ruminant and not produce methane.
    You also seem to assume I don't think environmental changes will involve people moving. The potential futures I can envision do not hold human autonomy as highly much of western, individualistic liberalism does.

When I envision the future, it seems that living in an area that doesn't have the ability to feed the population will be a luxury, a choice that's only available to a select few.

Oh, I don't know. Many places like deserts have potential for solar or wind power which the rest of us producers of food may desperately need in the future. So people that live there and run power stations might be just fine.
    However, living in the Mediterranean basin, I just can't get into Keto. People here have food traditions that go back centuries. I like this way of eating.

That's a good point. It's possible that areas with resources to trade may be able to make it work in areas with poor food production potential.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

How kind.

No reason to do keto unless it is offering you some benefit. Do what makes you healthy and happy.
This discussion has been closed.