Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Well, you didn't answer my challenge before. And you apparently didn't read any of the links I provided. Are you up for it now?

I can't find any, can you provide them again so I can read them?

That wasn't for you. That was for lemon. Let me look back for you.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Here is a long list of keto studies. Lemon disputed the validity because it was from a keto site. Note that the site it's on has nothing to do with the places that published the studies.
    https://ketovale.com/low-carb-keto-diet-studies-list/

Also, the NIH thinks keto is cool too.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Oh well. Maybe I know all about plant-based diets. But, even so, I'd read your link if this was a discussion about Plant-Based diets = Good or Bad.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You can't use CNN. It's fake news. I already said that calorie counting works. I still contend that keto is way better from personal experience. Still, if you did the sugar & broccoli experiment you would weight much less and wouldn't be diabetic if you ate veggies and fat instead of sugar. That is an extreme example to prove a valid point. The broccoli and butter is Keto, BTW.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/oh-dear-the-twinkie-diet-actually-works-268743/
    https://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/yes-you-canlose-weight-with-twinkies/
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-dec-06-la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206-story.html
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/207071.php
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also please don't misunderstand me. I support any method anyone wants to use. And if it works for you great. In 1989, after my hip went bad, I had a book of calories. It had a mathematical formula that showed you how to calculate how many calories you ate to support your current weight and how many you had to cut to lose a pound a week. I tracked and it worked out almost exactly.

But when you get old and sick it doesn't work as well. And if you beat yourself up losing and gaining weight back it really stops working. You always lose that first 20 pounds. Then your body locks onto that fat and it stops working. Not everyone is like this I'd imagine. But I am. Keto breaks this cycle. I'll do it for the rest of my life. I have no doubt of this.

To the bolded: That's excellent; I agree.

If your routine posts more obviously communicated this, came across more as "here's my personal experience, and why I think it worked best for me" and less as simple cheerleading for keto for all because it's universally perfect and has All The Benefits, you'd get less argument and more support here.

I post all kinds of things about the idiosyncratic ways I choose to eat (I mean, jeepers, I drink ACV (though not for weight loss ;) ), I've been vegetarian for decades (not weight loss magic or a religion), adore probiotic fermented veggies, don't like Oreos or Poptarts at all, and eat pounds of veggies daily (but don't evangelize for WFPB or "clean", terms I hate)). I get like zero pushback, even on the really statistically bizarre-o-ville stuff, because while it's good for me, I know I'm talking about me, not the whole flippin' world, and try to communicate accordingly.

Mega-evangelizing for keto by broad-brushing benefits is probably less likely to encourage others to try it (makes the team look bad) vs. a more even-handed, factual, pros & cons approach. Just my opinion, obviously.

I hope you continue to have much success, and that keto is the magic for keeping you healthy and happy permanently. :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I so agree. It's really hard to get someone's intention from words alone. I have a lady at work that writes the meanest emails. After over a year of them, I finally met her. She was the sweetest person I ever met. I am a very nice person, but I know I write bluntly which is misinterpreted frequently. I'm not here to hurt anyone. If anything I feel like the keto people are outnumbered 10 to 1. And the true keto people believe in it. I won't go into details but death came for me. And I tricked the *kitten* with keto when every other method failed. At least for a while.

Here in the Debate section we all tend to get a bit 'frisky' :D But, it's all in good fun and it's a good exercise to go back and forth and have our ideas challenged a bit. Even as far as I am into this whole process, I learn new things from the forums here all the time!

As a side note-I completely agree with you that CNN is fake news....now I'm going to duck out before I'm flamed off the boards lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also please don't misunderstand me. I support any method anyone wants to use. And if it works for you great. In 1989, after my hip went bad, I had a book of calories. It had a mathematical formula that showed you how to calculate how many calories you ate to support your current weight and how many you had to cut to lose a pound a week. I tracked and it worked out almost exactly.

But when you get old and sick it doesn't work as well. And if you beat yourself up losing and gaining weight back it really stops working. You always lose that first 20 pounds. Then your body locks onto that fat and it stops working. Not everyone is like this I'd imagine. But I am. Keto breaks this cycle. I'll do it for the rest of my life. I have no doubt of this.

To the bolded: That's excellent; I agree.

If your routine posts more obviously communicated this, came across more as "here's my personal experience, and why I think it worked best for me" and less as simple cheerleading for keto for all because it's universally perfect and has All The Benefits, you'd get less argument and more support here.

I post all kinds of things about the idiosyncratic ways I choose to eat (I mean, jeepers, I drink ACV (though not for weight loss ;) ), I've been vegetarian for decades (not weight loss magic or a religion), adore probiotic fermented veggies, don't like Oreos or Poptarts at all, and eat pounds of veggies daily (but don't evangelize for WFPB or "clean", terms I hate)). I get like zero pushback, even on the really statistically bizarre-o-ville stuff, because while it's good for me, I know I'm talking about me, not the whole flippin' world, and try to communicate accordingly.

Mega-evangelizing for keto by broad-brushing benefits is probably less likely to encourage others to try it (makes the team look bad) vs. a more even-handed, factual, pros & cons approach. Just my opinion, obviously.

I hope you continue to have much success, and that keto is the magic for keeping you healthy and happy permanently. :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I so agree. It's really hard to get someone's intention from words alone. I have a lady at work that writes the meanest emails. After over a year of them, I finally met her. She was the sweetest person I ever met. I am a very nice person, but I know I write bluntly which is misinterpreted frequently. I'm not here to hurt anyone. If anything I feel like the keto people are outnumbered 10 to 1. And the true keto people believe in it. I won't go into details but death came for me. And I tricked the *kitten* with keto when every other method failed. At least for a while.

Communication, perhaps especially so in writing, is IMO a shared responsibility: An obligation for the writer to consider how they can best communicate their well-rounded thoughts clearly and effectively to a diverse audience, and an obligation for the reader to be generous of spirit and consider how to interpret what was written in that light. (I'm not saying I routinely succeed at either ;) !)

In a setting like MFP, writing is also a sort of "marketing" exercise, using that term informally. We create a persona and a reputation, over time, by what and how we write, how we read and respond - whether we want to, or not. Further, we are thereby an effective (or not-so-effective) advocate and representative for the things that we believe in strongly, I think.

Trust me, I believe strongly in the things that I do, and have what I think are good (if sometimes idiosyncratic) reasons for what I choose to eat, just as you do. (Well, maybe not reasons for the "dislike Oreos" one . . . but I do dislike 'em: Not even food, in my world. ;) ).

If I think those reasons are especially relevant on a thread, I'll share my perspectives. So, if someone's considering vegetarianism (probably worse than 10 to 1 popularity for this! ;) ), I talk about pros and cons (it's all pros for me, but I've had long experience; it's not for everyone). I believe very strongly in the benefits of consuming much more veggies/fruits than the average person does - my veggie/fruit consumption is one reason keto isn't right for me - but I don't think it makes sense to sell that high amount of them hard here . . . though I do encourage people to get the minimum amounts that mainstream nutritional authorities suggest, beause that's the direction of improvement.)

Heck, I sometimes even encourage people to try low carb or keto, if they report having bad appetite/craving effects when they consume carbs, or are insulin resistant and don't LoveLove carb foods.

And I hear what you're saying about death coming for one: I've been in a happy remission from advanced breast cancer (6 tumors, some large; metastatic to lymph node) for longer than I would've once believed possible. Personally, I'm crediting blind luck, and regular hearty exercise, more than diet per se in my case . . . but my eating wasn't really terrible to start, except that I ate waaaay too much of everything, staying obese despite the exercise. Death in a different dress, so different ways to try to waltz away for a bit.

Best wishes.

And apologies, all, for the somewhat off-topic digression. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.