Any Vegans? Or vegetarians out there?

Are there any people on a whole food plant based diet or am I the only weirdo. Would be nice to make some friends to share food ideas recipes with and support each other.

Replies

• KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    You're definitely not the only one, I'm vegeterian myself:) The most difficult for me at the moment is hitting my protein target, especially because I'm allergic to nuts and don't tolerate any protein powders

Yes that protein macro is tough. I never reach it. I have been a bit cautious of protein powders as I like to eat whole foods. Thete might be some good ones out there I haven't done any research on it. But I found some hemp seed powder today and keen to give it a try in my "pimped" smoothie (thank you for the recipe!) It seems quite high in protein. Can you have hemp seeds?
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    I actually haven't tried it, I usually use flax seed or chia, I might give it a try. I avoid protein powders cause for some reason they give me upset stomach, no matter what kind/brand I use. I'm relying mainly on beans,lentils,tofu,eggs, quorn and dairy, and it's still hard to hit the target and stay within the kcal limit.
  • FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    I’m vegan! You can add me. I have an open diary :)
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    I'm *trying* to be vegan - or at least plant-based, for endo. Feel free to add me! I could use more good ideas for recipes too...
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Vegetarian right here!
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    You're definitely not the only one, I'm vegeterian myself:) The most difficult for me at the moment is hitting my protein target, especially because I'm allergic to nuts and don't tolerate any protein powders

I definitely don't do well with pea protein or whey. Nuts tend to have more carbs than protein anyway, and definitely more salt than necessary if they're roasted. I've been slacking on macros for sure!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian with an open diary. But not whole foods, mind.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    I'm a vegetarian, altho faaaar from a 'clean eater' feel free to add, I have an open diary
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

Yes that protein macro is tough. I never reach it. I have been a bit cautious of protein powders as I like to eat whole foods. Thete might be some good ones out there I haven't done any research on it. But I found some hemp seed powder today and keen to give it a try in my "pimped" smoothie (thank you for the recipe!) It seems quite high in protein. Can you have hemp seeds?

Look for something called Beyond Meat, in the frozen section. I don't prefer my food to look like meat, but this stuff is delicious, b and crazy high in protein. Their chicken strips make delicious tacos, and a bag is 60 g of protein. All from peas.

I'm a vegetarian not a vegan, so Greek yogurt is also in my bag of protein tricks.
  • KungfuPandin
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jlemoore wrote: »
    yep. There's quite a few WFPBers here. We are just out numbered by the ketoians. As for protein macros- the proponents for this lifestyle state we need just 10% protein.

If they promote that, they would be misinformed on the need/benefits of protein, especially while in a deficit. Protein supports muscle retention, healthy skin, strong bones/joints/ligaments, and helps maintain your metabolism.

If you look at most meta-analyses regarding protein while hypocaloric, it's recommended to consume 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. For most women that works out to be around 80-120g, and men 120-160g.

OP, pre-logging calories can help you make smarter choices. Below is a good thread that documents proteins.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

And a group in case you are interested.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Thank you! I have some underlining health issues and need to make sure I have enough protein also I'm on a calorie deficit. I have read number of opinions abput protein intakes for vegans and its been confusing me. Thanks for the links!!!
  • KungfuPandin
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been ovo-lacto veg for 44 years, lost 50 pounds a couple of years back, now in maintenance. I don't really understand the WFPB rhetoric, but do prefer to eat foods humans have eaten for centuries or millennia and thrived (at least long enough to breed ;) ).

The result is that I eat a lot of one-ingredient or simple foods, and cook my own most of the time. I don't eat fake meat or protein powders/bars - nothing wrong with them, just don't find them tasty/satisfying - and in maintenance hit a minimum of 100g protein daily, often well over. Diary is open to friends (though I don't log every single day anymore).

Wow! That's so awesome! Very inspiring. I have been vegetarian for 20 years but recently developed some intollerances to dairy and some health issues. I like to cook mostly from scratch although I'm not obsessive. I would love to add ypu as a friend. As soon as I figure out how to do it 😂.
  • SoManyCookies
    SoManyCookies Posts: 31 Member
    Hi! I've been a vegetarian for 14 months! Not a healthy vegetarian so far (gained 15 pounds) and find myself eating a lot of processed foods, as I struggle to prepare veggies. Sending you a friend request now, would love some inspiration on this new lifestyle!
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    I'm "half-vegetarian". I've been incorporating a lot of vegetarian dishes into my lifestyle since this weight loss journey began, and I love discovering new vegetarian and/or vegan foods. I did try going full-vegetarian back in college but it only lasted one month. Maybe someday when I'm ready, I'll try it again. I have cut back tremendously on meat, especially the fat-laden kind, and am always looking for alternative protein sources which leads me to try all different kinds of foods and recipes- always exciting!
  • PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    Hello. Another herbivore here. I describe myself as "mostly vegan", because I am vegan 99% of the time. But my mother can not deal with the "no dairy" concept at all, so when I visit her, I have to temporarily revert to vegetarianism. And when I travel in Europe, vegan options are thin on the ground outside the big cities so sometimes you have to compromise! Hey ho - it's not about being perfect.

I've been (mostly) vegan for 3 years now. It's second nature at this point. I love fruit and veg so it's pretty easy. But I've been a bit too carb-dependent so I'm working hard on tackling my carb addiction, and trying to up my plant based proteins. Legumes/Quinoa FTW! :smile: