Options
123457»

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Ok. Maybe hamburger helper was a bad example. And it is delicious.

Neither of my parents had time to cook and I was left to my own devices. Typically frozen pizza, TV dinners, spaghetti-o’s (my fave). So I never learned about cooking or nutrition.

College thru my 40’s because of time or money I lived on fast food. Literally:
    McDonald’s Monday
    Taco Bell Tuesday
    Wendy’s Wednesday
    Thurs - Sun - a case of beer and peppermint patties

I wish I had learned the importance of nutrition when I was in my teens, rather than 50’s. I’d like to see today’s kids learn what I did not. That is all.

I love hamburger helper lol.. this recipe for homemade hamburger helper is even better than the box stuff believe it or not
    http://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2012/12/homemade-hamburger-helper.html
    I still get the box if I don’t have time though!

PS sorry this has turned into the hamburger helper recipe thread 😂
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    A lot of people simply don't care.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    These days I think it is less a matter of not knowing what is healthy and more a matter of either not caring or not knowing HOW to achieve healthy meals. Fewer and fewer people cook and the food industry is not helping. I am not talking about Hamburger helper here, I am talking heat and eat dinners, Lunchables, cereal and milk in one convenient package, frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and take out.

There is nothing wrong with any of those as a separate item. The problem is when that is all people eat. They don't know how to grill a piece of meat or cook a stew because they never have.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I've had people ask me why I think I need to lose wieght when I'm at like 27% bf. I've heard people who would medically classify as obese say they are fairly healthy and a little overweight. I've had people tell me I'm weird for weighing out a steak, and call it obsessive to track what you put into your body, or be weirded out by things like almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, or calling my choice to 93% lean ground beef ridiculous etc etc., the list goes on.

This got me thinking - is the average American person really so unhealthy that anything remotely healthy seems foreign and weird?

You couldn’t pay me to drink almond milk, and I’d say I am pretty healthy.

I'm with you on the almond milk: Has calories (even unsweetened), not much protein, not much fat, a little potassium and calcium, and doesn't (to me) even taste good. It's a "but why?" food to me - others are welcome to all of it.

Yeah see I find cow's milk vile - I always have. For a very short period of time I was able to drink it ice cold, but I think I probably stopped being willing to do that when I was 6. The same is true for most dairy products - I'm very averse to them. I also, conveniently, have a very mild lactose intolerance which only helped to cement my displeasure with dairy. That said, while I don't drink non-dairy milk on a regular basis, I do like chocolate almond milk and chocolate hazelnut milk and I'll drink almond, hazelnut, or hemp milk in coffee.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk. I use so little milk, usually 3 oz on cereal and not even every day, that I could use the 2% we always have in the fridge without crowding out much at all. But at some point I tried it and found I like the taste of it in cereal (except hot cereal where it is added; not sure why that's different, but it is).

It's hard for me to point fingers as I spent most of my adult life overweight and out of shape with a few brief attempts at changing. This most recent time is by far the most successful, getting to a BMI of below 25 and maintaining it for about 8 months so far. I was a problem drinker; now almost 500 days sober. I always believed that I needed to be healthier but I had time. Before I knew it, I was in my late 50s, still drinking too much, still overweight and out of shape. I didn't want to turn 60 in the same shape; it would reduce the odds of a long and healthy retirement substantially. This is especially true with problem drinking. I figured the decline was coming if I didn't make it happen this time. I turn 60 in about 2 months and will be 18 months sober, 10 months with a BMI below 25 and with muscle definition I am still not used to; it's hard to believe that's actually me in the mirror.

I could still backslide and fail this time also. A lot of people understand they should be healthier and are trying but not willing to try hard enough and they fail and accept it. It's very difficult to break through that. Even fear of dying before their time doesn't work for most people.

Brother, we could both backslide. It is what it is. Us Southern Gents have to stick together. I an guessing you are southern that is. Lol
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's pretty clear that our reference points have changed. If you watch an old movie from the 1960s or earlier the men are mostly much thinner than the average man today. Not sure if they were any healthier since they are typically chain smoking and pounding Scotch- but definitely thinner.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's pretty clear that our reference points have changed. If you watch an old movie from the 1960s or earlier the men are mostly much thinner than the average man today. Not sure if they were any healthier since they are typically chain smoking and pounding Scotch- but definitely thinner.
    Movies/television do not accurately reflect society in general. If I were to judge today's society by the soap operas my wife watches, all women are slender and exceedingly hot and all men are fit, rich and impeccably dressed.
    Hey Anvil! I totally agree and certainly wouldn't argue that they are an accurate reflection of society in general. I'd say more that they are a reflection of our "ideals" which, in film at least, it seems have trended larger for men and smaller for women over the past half century.
  • mommacara82
    mommacara82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had people ask me why I think I need to lose wieght when I'm at like 27% bf. I've heard people who would medically classify as obese say they are fairly healthy and a little overweight. I've had people tell me I'm weird for weighing out a steak, and call it obsessive to track what you put into your body, or be weirded out by things like almond milk, natural peanut butter, Himalayan pink salt, or calling my choice to 93% lean ground beef ridiculous etc etc., the list goes on.

This got me thinking - is the average American person really so unhealthy that anything remotely healthy seems foreign and weird?

• TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is 100kg 153cm who frequently claims it's pure muscle. I have a loved one over 120kg 163cm who doesn't want to get too skinny so never goes below 115kg. All the adults in my family (including in laws) are obese by any measure. But, at 60kg 163cm 29% body fat, I'm supposedly too skinny to be healthy and need to eat a large cheeseburger combo.