Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Halloween Issues

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
84dgdddj1sih.png

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    :lol:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Amusing but not true in my world. My friends who have kids with special dietary needs that want to trick or treat simply let their kids go and exchange the treats with appropriate things they bought themselves (*kitten*, I know some parents who do this simply because they're not comfortable with their kids eating candy they got from strangers). 🤷
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There are parents who send their non-allergic kids out trick or treating-often outside their own neighnorhood- but do not actually want them to have the gobs of candy they went out asking for. They might swap it with something or just take most of it away. Why take your child trick or treating all night, allow them to collect candy and then complain that they get too much candy?
    I don't mind parents of kids with allergies putting word out that non-food items are a way their kid can join in. I don't think they are walking up to doors and being demanding and ungrateful.
    I never saw a kid complaining about what they get just parents. I personally will not pass out candy anymore and just do small toys, stickers or something.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well, it is the debate section.

Don't ever change. MFP = The place where a cartoon becomes a controversial argument. :lol:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    @kgeyser

What is teal pumpkin?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Don't ever change. MFP = The place where a cartoon becomes a controversial argument. :lol:

The sun comes up in the east.

Debate :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I have a candy bowl and a prize bowl. Our community participates in teal pumpkin, so I always make sure there is something available for kids who have allergies or just don't like the candy. My daughter's best friend is gluten free, and I know what a tough time she has at events involving food.

When my kids come home, they go through their candy and keep a small portion, then leave the rest for the Switch Witch. She takes the candy for her cat and leaves them a non-candy present as a thank you.

Switch Witch candy gets taken to the local dentist's office where they box it up and send it to soldiers overseas. They offer money per pound of candy if kids want to cash theirs in.

I was so delighted taking my god child trick or treating last year, where homes had options. We'd taught him that treats are earned, so he had his pumpkin pail filled with glow in the dark rotar copters, fidget spinners, spooky rings, funny goggles, cars, yo-yos, marvel characters and of course, some candy.

Extra candy is usually taken to church, which is placed inside children's activity boxes to keep them occupied during the service. They tend to enjoy trying to figure out if specific candies originated from their Halloween/ Harvest Festival haul.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The sun comes up in the east.

Debate :)

When I was younger I actually got into an hour long argument with a boyfriend over the sky being blue.

EX boyfriend. EX. :lol: Key point, right there.
  • pinuplove
    Options

I suppose as a Gen Xer parent, I slightly resent the assumption that we're all raising special snowflake entitled brats, when in my experience that's not the case at all. And as you said, it was posted in debates! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ...or that creepy guy in the wife-beater with a Pabst?

OR THE HOUSE WITH NO LIGHTS ON!!!!
  • pinuplove
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    kc63gtytt1y7.png

That's all I have to add to this convo.

:lol:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Can we turn this into a debate about whether or not candy corn can be considered "food"?
    852tkv2psxs9.jpg
    3y4iu9ch43z6.png

My mother loved them. I just want to stick a wick in them and light 'em up.