Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Halloween Issues

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

This!

Now get off my lawn! :grumble:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

This!

u6zmbjm11w00.jpg

:laugh:

I am of course totally joking. We are always the house with ridiculous decorations, a fog machine, and spooky noises playing on the front porch :smiley:
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

This!

u6zmbjm11w00.jpg

I am of course totally joking. We are always the house with ridiculous decorations, a fog machine, and spooky noises playing on the front porch :smiley:

From the woman who turns the sprinklers on the kids....
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

This!

u6zmbjm11w00.jpg

Being nice on Halloween lulls them into a false sense of security :naughty:

Devious.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Amusing but not true in my world. My friends who have kids with special dietary needs that want to trick or treat simply let their kids go and exchange the treats with appropriate things they bought themselves (*kitten*, I know some parents who do this simply because they're not comfortable with their kids eating candy they got from strangers). 🤷

This is our home. We have celiac in the family and one child with a nut allergy. I only buy nut free and GF treats so that they can exchange it when they get home, and I give out their glutinous and nutty treats.
    Amusing but not true in my world. My friends who have kids with special dietary needs that want to trick or treat simply let their kids go and exchange the treats with appropriate things they bought themselves (*kitten*, I know some parents who do this simply because they're not comfortable with their kids eating candy they got from strangers). 🤷

So, the parents buy treats for their kids with dietary restrictions, but still send them out. Gee I wonder who eats the candy they collect :)

I give it away or save it for next year.
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    There are parents who send their non-allergic kids out trick or treating-often outside their own neighnorhood- but do not actually want them to have the gobs of candy they went out asking for. They might swap it with something or just take most of it away. Why take your child trick or treating all night, allow them to collect candy and then complain that they get too much candy?
    I don't mind parents of kids with allergies putting word out that non-food items are a way their kid can join in. I don't think they are walking up to doors and being demanding and ungrateful.
    I never saw a kid complaining about what they get just parents. I personally will not pass out candy anymore and just do small toys, stickers or something.

My kids have never asked for a particular food or to skip certain foods. They say thank you and run to the next house.

When they are done we go through their candy and take away at least half because it will make them sick or ...kill them. I let them keep about 15 things and give them a toy in exchange. Sometimes we keep the chip bags for movie nights.

I'm thankful people give my kids treats, and especially grateful for those who are aware of allergens.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Funny, my husband came home from shopping (yes, he does that) today with glow sticks to hand out on Halloween :smiley:

The kids around here love glow sticks especially the jewelry ones.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    @kgeyser

What is teal pumpkin?

What @777Gemma888 said above. Some houses will just paint a pumpkin teal and leave it outside the house so parents with kids with food allergies know there are allergy-free options there. My community also creates a sign-up where people can list their addresses, so parents can see ahead of time who will have allergy-free options.

Most families with kids end up with a bunch of little stickers or trinkets from Halloween parties at school or various activities, it's not that hard to round those items up and stick them in a bowl. I just bag up whatever is left over and bring it out each year with the decorations. My collection has grown where I have a decent selection, it has cost me practically nothing, and it helps a little kid feel included in the holiday. I can't think of a logical reason for me not to do it.

You are a good soul! (From the auntie of a nephew with a potentially deadly peanut allergy.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    4vu5r5cw6tod.png

This!

u6zmbjm11w00.jpg

Being nice on Halloween lulls them into a false sense of security :naughty:

Devil’s Night is traditionally the night before Halloween. I grew up in Detroit in the 80’s; Devil’s Night indeed! :smirk:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I actually have an issue with older teens and adult trick or treaters. They're aggressive on the sidewalk and at the doors. I remember one Halloween where a few of the grown men came to the door, dressed as Jason and hardhat workmen with spades & picks in hand, faces fully covered, demanding candy. Felt a lot like a scene from Purge. Eerily, they kept coming back for more, even after lights had been switched off.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that's really creepy and intimidating. The kind of thing that makes you dread Halloween, which is too bad.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I actually have an issue with older teens and adult trick or treaters. They're aggressive on the sidewalk and at the doors. I remember one Halloween where a few of the grown men came to the door, dressed as Jason and hardhat workmen with spades & picks in hand, faces fully covered, demanding candy. Felt a lot like a scene from Purge. Eerily, they kept coming back for more, even after lights had been switched off.

I'm sorry that happened to you, that's really creepy and intimidating. The kind of thing that makes you dread Halloween, which is too bad.

Experiences like that forced me to understand families opting to not be a part of the Halloween festivities at all.

Suppose, when you choose to open your door to children, you can't really control those who would opt to abuse something innocent.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    gender neutral candy :D
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have to work on Halloween. I'm leaving a bowl of candy for my husband to hand out. I assume he will turn off all the lights and eat the candy himself in the dark. He's mature like that.

I bought a big bag of candy last week because I happened to be at the store. My husband has been eating it ever since. :| Whenever I tell him that's halloween candy and to stop eating it he says "I'll eat candy if I want candy and I won't apologize for it!" LOL