Anyone noticed people are nicer when you’re skinnier?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Man... this makes me wonder if I'm seriously out of touch with what's happening around me or if it's just cultural.

Well, I'm currently living in Canada and lived in the U.S. for 32 years. I will say I notice how people react/treat me because of growing up fat and being bullied and abused for it.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Is it maybe because you feel better about yourself you give out a more approachable vibe??
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I didn't really notice this until I lost weight but I felt somewhat invisible before, if that makes sense. I was thin/healthy until around my early 30s. Spent over a decade obese. No one really notices you that much when you're obese. I felt it oddly uncomfortable to be looked at again, especially being married, by the opposite sex. I guess I do find it flattering now to at least be noticed and not ignored completely, though I'm very much happy that my wife notices the difference and that's, quite frankly, more important than anything else.

So by "nicer" meaning they notice you're even there, yes, that's true.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, and not just out in public. Even people I work with regularly (clients and customers, not necessarily fellow employees) seemed to approach me differently after I'd lost 70 lbs than before. And I noticed it on the backswing too, after I'd gained some back.
  • evemariepaiement
    evemariepaiement Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    When I lost a lot of weight 10 years ago (after quitting Paxil), I noticed how people at the coffee shop, in the street, at the gym, at the movies, everybody was smiling at me, complime4nting me on my scarves, purse, nail polish, etc. All the things I had before but was so invisible being fat that nobody noticed.

At work was even more noticeable, people who I worked with for a couple of years started talking to me randomly, smiling, and my work seemed to be more appreciated and my ideas seems to be better (they were not, I was always good ; )

It's true that I was less embarassed by my body, but it cannot explain everything. Even being heavier I always had a big smile and an easygoing attitude.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I grew up skinny and was underweight until my early 20's and people were often mean or unfriendly about it. I was called names, had average weight girls tell me they hated me after asking my weight, etc regularly. People were not smiling at me or being more friendly because of my size back then that I noticed.
    At a healthy weight I think I felt I got less comments on my body... maybe blended in more at 20 lbs heavier. People were maybe being more positive to me but I was also in a more confident and outgoing period of my life and interacting with more mature people.
    Going from a healthy weight to overweight and obese I did not feel that people I knew treated me differently or that I was ignored or discriminated against in situations I was in. I guess I could have been but I did not put it down to being weight related. I think I tended to appear smaller than many aquaintances my age still anyway.
    Losing weight did not seem to have changed how people have treated me.

I believe that people are treated differently because of weight but there may be other factors influencing it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not really. People treat me worse now that I've lost weight and I go to the gym frequently. They keep telling me to not workout too much so I don't look manly (news flash - doubtful this will ever happen unless I start with 'roids). Fit shaming is a thing.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed it that much with people that I know. But there is a huge difference with strangers. When I would go shopping before I lost weight I was rarely offered help and people at the check out would be very snotty to me like I was inconveniencing them. After I lost 35 lbs (which on a 5 foot half an inch frame it seems like more) I constantly have people asking if I need help finding anything and actually smiling and chit-chating with me at the checkout line.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Didn't notice friends or acquaintances being any nicer to me...I do get flirted with more though
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Didn't notice friends or acquaintances being any nicer to me...I do get flirted with more though

How YOU doin'?

I have some friends who have lost a lot and have commented on how much better they're treated. I've witnessed the difference when I'm with them as well.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Not really. People treat me worse now that I've lost weight and I go to the gym frequently. They keep telling me to not workout too much so I don't look manly (news flash - doubtful this will ever happen unless I start with 'roids). Fit shaming is a thing.

This I have experienced. It's indeed a thing.