Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Please be careful where you take your dog.

13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    All parks and trails governed by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources not only have leashes required, but they cannot be longer than 8 feet. A few parks are no dogs allowed and several have separate swimming beaches for dogs where they are allowed to be off leash. No dogs are allowed in the picnic areas. Some charge a separate fee for dogs just like they charge a fee for horses.

City and county parks and paths have their own laws but generally leashes are required.

I belong to a hiking club and we do not allow dogs to come along on the hikes. Doesn't matter how good the dog is, there is always a chance something could happen so best to say no to everyone than pick and choose.

In my area, we have predatory birds as well as coyotes and foxes. Further north you can run into bear and in the far north there is the possibility of moose (not many but they are there) who can be very aggressive towards dogs.

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Once she had him by the collar I asked her why the hell wasn’t the dog on a leash and she said it’s because he was “afraid of people” :s really?! Just keep your animals on a leash where required, period!

OMG - all the more reason to have the dog on a leash! Scared dogs aren't always predictable!!
    My dog is also scared of people - she keeps away from them, and I feel like a big meanie, because the lead I insist she be on doesn't let her be as far away as she would like (I'm okay with being a meanie though - she'd be at risk of running into the road to avoid people, so not an option). I can try and give her as much space as possible or cross the road to not make her uncomfortable, but the leash stays.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited October 2018
    hesn92 wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm a runner and I've been bitten and jumped on by dogs multiple times while I was on public sidewalks and trails. The dogs were all either off leash or on a long retractable leash that allowed the owner no control over the dog. Every one of these incidents was followed by the owner immediately telling me how well behaved his dog is. ...I am definitely concerned when I see a human with an off-leash dog, since those are the only real dangers I've experienced while running so far.

This is my experience. I love dogs. I've owned dogs all my life. I'll gladly love other people's dogs - if they leave me alone. I have to carry dog-specific mace when I run or cycle in my community to protect myself. On occasion I have to use it. I feel bad but I don't want to deal with a dog bite. Folks must control their pets.

Same here. Years ago I was running through the neighborhood and came across a woman with a white, 40-50 lb. dog off-leash (she didn't even have one with her). The dog ran up to me barking and snarling, and was jumping up on me and snapping an inch from my face and scratching the *kitten* out of my legs and chest with it's nails. This woman just stands there laughing and didn't pull her dog off until I started kicking it. I'm there covered in blood and she yells at me because "it's only a puppy" and "just playing". If she weren't a woman I would've leveled her.

I started carrying dog spray after that, and I've had to use it a few times, too. If someone won't control their dogs, I'll do it for them.

That's BS! That lady should have her dog taken away. Irresponsible people should not own pets.
    100% ⬆this

I agree, though leash laws are very lax where I live. Unless a dog bites a minor, Animal Conrtol is powerless and there's nothing they can do. So you need to take steps to protect yourself around here.