kshama2001 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I agree that you have lost weight quickly, allowing it down to 0.5lbs to 1lb per week max is a good idea.

Your current maintenance break has probably been a good thing.

Have you been strength training as you've lost weight? If not, then definitely start now!

Thank you!

I was planning on aiming for 1lb, but maybe aiming for .5lb might be a good idea. It’s almost maintenance and should keep things from continuing dramatically, while still being on the right track. Sort of a good compromise.

Nope, while my physio includes some strength work - fire hydrants and single leg bridge pose - I haven’t really done any dedicated strength training. I would really like to start except I feel absolutely out of my depth. If I had the money I’d try one of those single consultation personal training things to get me started, but I don’t. I’ve tried to read some, on Reddit & here, I’ve looked at Nerd Fitness bodyweight routine but I feel like I can’t do certain pieces either due to injury (no twisting motions or lunges or jumping for my knee) or just flat out weakness (push ups - no knee push ups either because knee). Reddit bodyweight fitness has a complex plan that looks good & like it has stuff in place to modify it, but I can’t figure out the pieces myself. I worry I might be overthinking this stuff and I should just start something, but I don’t know what to do, lmao.

You're getting a gym membership in January? That should come with at least one session with a trainer. That's enough time to put together a routine for you. Let them know about your knee upfront.

I've taken several small group classes with trainers at various gyms and found them very helpful, and very cheap, if not free. At the last one, I told the trainer ahead of time that I was coming and had knee issues, and she was ready with modifications for me, which I appreciated very much.

I've been dealing with knee issues for almost 9 years and encourage you to not be like me and push it :(

I'm currently back to just walking and yoga for lower body and strength training upper body only.

It sadly does not come with any personal training. It's part of my school tuition. Which means it's over an hour away from where I live, but still better than nothing. There are free group fitness classes though, and I did try one that turned out to not be terrible - a Barre/Core class. Although the Zumba was terrible, all twisting and jumping and impossible to follow despite being for "beginners" :neutral:

I've always been too intimidated to try the pool (highly recommended by my physiotherapist to swim more) and the weight machines. There are a lot of weight machines that I can't identify, and a lot of Very Fit people my age that want to use them. It gets very busy & it's all in a circle, so people are sitting across from you on the cardio machines staring you down... I need to challenge myself to try but tbh I don't know how it'll go... If I could try now when I'm not doing classes and have a ton of free time while I'm recovering I think I could get over it, but once classes start and I start freaking out about that I honestly just don't know.

I hate busy gyms and always go at off peak times, which may not be the times I'd prefer to go, but are the times I can stand to go.

Yeah... It would be good to figure out what non-peak times are other than like 6am/10pm. I can't do the super early mornings/late nights because I live an hour away and I'm reliant on transit.

I would like to point out that January is going to be insanely busy no matter what time due to New Year's resolutioners. So you might find it crowded and overwhelming at first, but it will die down by March at the latest.

Great lmao that’s like the whole semester 😐

Is there a $10 a month Planet Fitness more convenient to you?

Also, YMCAs have scholarships which you may qualify for.

The YMCA near me is under construction & has been for like 2 years now lol. Not really. I just checked and the closest Planet Fitnesss is an hour away also (I take transit, so even if something is technically close-ish the time can be double or even triple what a car would take because of detours and stuff).

There is a local small independent gym ~10min away that I've looked into, but it's like $100+tax per month at the new-member discount ($200/month after the first month, is this normal? lol I have sticker shock over looking this up!). And I'm not sure that it even has equipment, it might just be group fitness classes.

There is a community centre 20min away but that just has a pool. I might go there, it's just swimming. Still a start! This is a good reminder I need to call about the cost, I meant to do that last week, thanks!

The school gym is free when I do go, so I do really want to go there because I'm technically paying for it anyway. I just need to not be a scardey cat. But I totally am one.... lol.

No, $200/month is not normal, unless that is coming with personal training or massages or something. Maybe look for a Groupon for that place? They may jack the prices up if they get a lot of people in from Groupon.

I’ll keep my eye out but it definitely doesn’t come with training (separate packages for that, additional to the base membership). I think this stuff is just expensive 😞 probably due to where I live.