Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It takes a tremendous amount of contorting to equivocate shaming fat people with shaming lunks. A lunk behaves in a way that many find offensive, it isn't just the state of being heavily muscled. If you are a big monster of a guy (like the guys in that PF commercial) but quietly going about your workout, then none of these PF commercials are targeted at you. And yet people are actually stretching a long way to find elements of the "lunk" stereotype within themselves in order to feign offense. "Poor me, I am a guy with big muscles and my feelings are being hurt" lol, really?

I am far from what anyone would consider a lunk. On a good day, my fitness level can generously be described as average. For my height and weight, I am probably out lifted by 90% of the people at the gym. But when I lift weights, I sometimes make noise, and even *gasp* grunt. This is not done to intimidate others, or make me look tough and cool. In reality it does the opposite, as I look kind of silly struggling through fairly meager weights. But I am still trying to push myself, and will fight hard for that extra rep or two, that I wouldn't have been able to do if I treated the gym as if it was the library.

At some point, if a gym is trying to shame people who are minding their own business for making noise during their workout or doing certain type of lifts, then in reality they do become an intimidation gym. They are just intimidating a different set of people. I can tell you that if I worked out at a gym like that, I would feel intimidated and bullied. And I'm not some super confident muscular guy where I can just easily let that roll off me.

PF is discouraging Tarzan-like alpha-male "look at me!" types of howling when you lift. Incidental grunting is commonplace. Yes, if you actually go there you may learn what actually happens there.

If you feel intimidated and bullied in a PF gym, I seriously wonder how the hell you manage to cope with the real world on a day-to-day basis.

Couldn't you say the same thing about people who join PF because they're worried about someone else wearing something too revealing on the treadmill next to them? Their entire business model is centered on the principle that there are lots of people who are too fragile to handle what is happening in other gyms.

I think some people do go there to escape intimidation -however, others do it because it is cheap, clean, and convenient (my reason) and still others are looking to escape annoyances (that is also fine with me).

I understand people go for a variety of reasons, but their marketing strategy is centered on appealing to people who believe other gyms are full of people who are intimidating, mean, vain, and annoying.

So if I'm wondering if someone can make it in the real world, I think the type of person PF is targeting with their ads is a lot less resilient and adaptable than someone who is turned off by the stereotyping inherent in the ad campaigns.

The PF I workout at was once a traditional gym where I had been a member for years. One day we received an email that PF had acquired it and that it was closing down for a month to bring in the purple equipment. A lot of us were very disappointed because it was a great gym. When they reopened it, about half of the people I knew there just remained because it was convenient and cheap, none of us were seeking shelter from intimidation.

In reality, almost the entirety of the advertising concerns pricing and hours - if they double their price or reduce their hours, they will lose a lot of members to other gyms and rec centers, the intimidation-free thing will not sustain their business model.

That may be true, the point is that PF thinks the way they brand themselves is good for their business. Despite you thinking it's irrelevant to customers, the PF promotional team clearly disagrees. It's possible they're completely wrong and you're right. I'm going to assume that they have at least some reason for choosing this strategy.

Nobody is arguing that PF customers are bad people or that they're all choosing PF to escape "intimidation" or avoid seeing someone workout in a tiny top. What people are objecting to is the messages in their promotional campaign, messages that were freely chosen by PF itself. Even if members are making their decision based on things like pricing, the PF webpage is centering the "judgement free experience" (they've even trademarked a slogan based on it).

When people criticize this campaign, they aren't criticizing you or the other members of your gym. Whether or not you find the ad campaign relevant to your interests, it's a real thing that exists.

I just Googled PF and here is the top result (which is sponsored, so it is the one that PF wants you to find):

rw8b82dxr18w.png

"Judgement free" is referenced, but there is no lunk-shaming anywhere to be found. When I click on the PF link, it takes me to a page that shows me the gym it thinks is closest to me and the pricing options. The anti-lunk thing is an attention-getter but it isn't important enough to their business model to even reference it in their corporate advertising. I honestly think they just stay with it to troll people at this point.

How do you not consider their most memorable TV commercials part of their "corporate advertising"?

I don't think they are using the lunk-shaming in their current round of promotions, as most large corporate entities do cycle through their primary messaging from time to time. Now they have toned it down to just the "judgement free" (which does still suggest that you will risk being judged if you go elsewhere). But they ran those lunk commercials for years, they would be something most people think of when they think of PF.

I have no skin in this game, I have actually never gone to a public gym. I don't think people should be put down for going to PF or are less serious about getting fit, but I don't think it's out of line to find their advertising insulting and demeaning, and ironically quite judgmental.

I have never actually seen any of PF commercials on TV, they have only come to my attention, ironically enough, as reposts by people who are offended by them :D . Their corporate advertising strategy is primarily advertising on the internet by buying priority placement in search engines, because that is where people will actually go to get more information about local gyms and sign up for memberships.

Just because you haven't seen the commercials, it doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't a major part of their advertising strategy. It seems like you are trying to argue that PF doesn't really mean what they are saying in these commercials because you haven't been exposed to them. That seems to be a pretty ignorant stance in my opinion. They do have good prices, and are very convenient for a lot of people, so I understand the appeal, but their advertising is trash. Its extremely hypocritical of them to call themselves judgement free when they are using extreme stereotypes to define all other gyms.

You clearly misunderstood what I said - it is always a good policy to ensure you are comprehending someone's message before descending into calling others ignorant, it isn't a good look.

I asserted that PF's advertising was mostly internet-centric. That has nothing to do with PF believing their own commercials - if you saw the Google search result I posted above or visited their web landing page you don't find anything resembling the commercials "anti-lunk" content, it is all pricing, convenience, and judgment-free messaging. PF conquered the gym industry and has 10 million members because they charge $10 per month, the rest is far behind that in customer motivation.

You're divorcing the "anti-lunk" content from the "judgement free" stuff, but they're really the same core message. It's a negative message about other gyms and the people who go to them.

Are you privy to how much they spend on advertising? I don't understand the basis for the claim that their advertising is mostly on the internet. I see their commercials on TV, I've heard them on the radio, I've also seen them online. I have no idea what they do most of. I only know what I see most of and that is heavily influenced by my internet habits, media consumption choices, what ads are being targeted to me, and my geographic location.

Apparently about $100 Million in 2018.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/12/news/companies/planet-fitness/index.html

"Backed by a massive $100 million ad campaign to attract new recruits and an untapped gym market -- only 20% of Americans belong to a gym -- Planet Fitness has a wide lane to run, Cowen analyst Oliver Chen predicted."

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

https://youtu.be/yhDcjlYrwmQ

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It takes a tremendous amount of contorting to equivocate shaming fat people with shaming lunks. A lunk behaves in a way that many find offensive, it isn't just the state of being heavily muscled. If you are a big monster of a guy (like the guys in that PF commercial) but quietly going about your workout, then none of these PF commercials are targeted at you. And yet people are actually stretching a long way to find elements of the "lunk" stereotype within themselves in order to feign offense. "Poor me, I am a guy with big muscles and my feelings are being hurt" lol, really?

I am far from what anyone would consider a lunk. On a good day, my fitness level can generously be described as average. For my height and weight, I am probably out lifted by 90% of the people at the gym. But when I lift weights, I sometimes make noise, and even *gasp* grunt. This is not done to intimidate others, or make me look tough and cool. In reality it does the opposite, as I look kind of silly struggling through fairly meager weights. But I am still trying to push myself, and will fight hard for that extra rep or two, that I wouldn't have been able to do if I treated the gym as if it was the library.

At some point, if a gym is trying to shame people who are minding their own business for making noise during their workout or doing certain type of lifts, then in reality they do become an intimidation gym. They are just intimidating a different set of people. I can tell you that if I worked out at a gym like that, I would feel intimidated and bullied. And I'm not some super confident muscular guy where I can just easily let that roll off me.

PF is discouraging Tarzan-like alpha-male "look at me!" types of howling when you lift. Incidental grunting is commonplace. Yes, if you actually go there you may learn what actually happens there.

If you feel intimidated and bullied in a PF gym, I seriously wonder how the hell you manage to cope with the real world on a day-to-day basis.

Couldn't you say the same thing about people who join PF because they're worried about someone else wearing something too revealing on the treadmill next to them? Their entire business model is centered on the principle that there are lots of people who are too fragile to handle what is happening in other gyms.

I think some people do go there to escape intimidation -however, others do it because it is cheap, clean, and convenient (my reason) and still others are looking to escape annoyances (that is also fine with me).

I understand people go for a variety of reasons, but their marketing strategy is centered on appealing to people who believe other gyms are full of people who are intimidating, mean, vain, and annoying.

So if I'm wondering if someone can make it in the real world, I think the type of person PF is targeting with their ads is a lot less resilient and adaptable than someone who is turned off by the stereotyping inherent in the ad campaigns.

The PF I workout at was once a traditional gym where I had been a member for years. One day we received an email that PF had acquired it and that it was closing down for a month to bring in the purple equipment. A lot of us were very disappointed because it was a great gym. When they reopened it, about half of the people I knew there just remained because it was convenient and cheap, none of us were seeking shelter from intimidation.

In reality, almost the entirety of the advertising concerns pricing and hours - if they double their price or reduce their hours, they will lose a lot of members to other gyms and rec centers, the intimidation-free thing will not sustain their business model.

That may be true, the point is that PF thinks the way they brand themselves is good for their business. Despite you thinking it's irrelevant to customers, the PF promotional team clearly disagrees. It's possible they're completely wrong and you're right. I'm going to assume that they have at least some reason for choosing this strategy.

Nobody is arguing that PF customers are bad people or that they're all choosing PF to escape "intimidation" or avoid seeing someone workout in a tiny top. What people are objecting to is the messages in their promotional campaign, messages that were freely chosen by PF itself. Even if members are making their decision based on things like pricing, the PF webpage is centering the "judgement free experience" (they've even trademarked a slogan based on it).

When people criticize this campaign, they aren't criticizing you or the other members of your gym. Whether or not you find the ad campaign relevant to your interests, it's a real thing that exists.

I just Googled PF and here is the top result (which is sponsored, so it is the one that PF wants you to find):

rw8b82dxr18w.png

"Judgement free" is referenced, but there is no lunk-shaming anywhere to be found. When I click on the PF link, it takes me to a page that shows me the gym it thinks is closest to me and the pricing options. The anti-lunk thing is an attention-getter but it isn't important enough to their business model to even reference it in their corporate advertising. I honestly think they just stay with it to troll people at this point.

How do you not consider their most memorable TV commercials part of their "corporate advertising"?

I don't think they are using the lunk-shaming in their current round of promotions, as most large corporate entities do cycle through their primary messaging from time to time. Now they have toned it down to just the "judgement free" (which does still suggest that you will risk being judged if you go elsewhere). But they ran those lunk commercials for years, they would be something most people think of when they think of PF.

I have no skin in this game, I have actually never gone to a public gym. I don't think people should be put down for going to PF or are less serious about getting fit, but I don't think it's out of line to find their advertising insulting and demeaning, and ironically quite judgmental.

I have never actually seen any of PF commercials on TV, they have only come to my attention, ironically enough, as reposts by people who are offended by them :D . Their corporate advertising strategy is primarily advertising on the internet by buying priority placement in search engines, because that is where people will actually go to get more information about local gyms and sign up for memberships.

Just because you haven't seen the commercials, it doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't a major part of their advertising strategy. It seems like you are trying to argue that PF doesn't really mean what they are saying in these commercials because you haven't been exposed to them. That seems to be a pretty ignorant stance in my opinion. They do have good prices, and are very convenient for a lot of people, so I understand the appeal, but their advertising is trash. Its extremely hypocritical of them to call themselves judgement free when they are using extreme stereotypes to define all other gyms.

You clearly misunderstood what I said - it is always a good policy to ensure you are comprehending someone's message before descending into calling others ignorant, it isn't a good look.

I asserted that PF's advertising was mostly internet-centric. That has nothing to do with PF believing their own commercials - if you saw the Google search result I posted above or visited their web landing page you don't find anything resembling the commercials "anti-lunk" content, it is all pricing, convenience, and judgment-free messaging. PF conquered the gym industry and has 10 million members because they charge $10 per month, the rest is far behind that in customer motivation.

You're divorcing the "anti-lunk" content from the "judgement free" stuff, but they're really the same core message. It's a negative message about other gyms and the people who go to them.

Are you privy to how much they spend on advertising? I don't understand the basis for the claim that their advertising is mostly on the internet. I see their commercials on TV, I've heard them on the radio, I've also seen them online. I have no idea what they do most of. I only know what I see most of and that is heavily influenced by my internet habits, media consumption choices, what ads are being targeted to me, and my geographic location.

Apparently about $100 Million in 2018.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/12/news/companies/planet-fitness/index.html

"Backed by a massive $100 million ad campaign to attract new recruits and an untapped gym market -- only 20% of Americans belong to a gym -- Planet Fitness has a wide lane to run, Cowen analyst Oliver Chen predicted."

Unfortunately, that doesn't let us know if most of that is spent on internet advertising. It's a lot more than I thought they spent though (I'm not in advertising, so my assumptions aren't particularly well informed).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The actress who plays Tahani on The Good Place just released a FB video on how some rando at the gym went up to her and said if she worked on herself she could look really good. First off, dude must be BLIND cause she's smoking! Secondly, that's why no-intimidation gyms appeal to some people.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The actress who plays Tahani on The Good Place just released a FB video on how some rando at the gym went up to her and said if she worked on herself she could look really good. First off, dude must be BLIND cause she's smoking! Secondly, that's why no-intimidation gyms appeal to some people.

She was approached outside the gym, not inside it. I'm pretty sure that PF's "no judgment zones" don't extend beyond their doors.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Side note: In addition to being the only gym in which I was ever hit on, PF was also the gym in which I saw the most scantily clad woman. She had the shortest running shorts(exposed booty) ever and the tiniest crop top. I never saw anyone in another gym dressed in as revealing a way as her.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Side note: In addition to being the only gym in which I was ever hit on, PF was also the gym in which I saw the most scantily clad woman. She had the shortest running shorts(exposed booty) ever and the tiniest crop top. I never saw anyone in another gym dressed in as revealing a way as her.

I'm now reconsidering my boycott of PF. :D

Well. There is this one lady at my Anytime who kinds spills out of her sports bra....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

https://youtu.be/yhDcjlYrwmQ

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.

The narrative of all the PF ads I've seen posted on this thread (versus the ones I see on TV, which focus on low price and 24/7 hours) is

Prospective Customer: My experience or belief about gyms is horrible and absurd thing X. [Lunk alarm is part of anecdote/reminiscene of prospective customer]
    PF employee trying to make a sale: That won't happen to you here. We're not a gym.

Apparently PF has learned better than OP that if you're trying to persuade somebody to do something, you don't call them fat and lazy or to argue with their emotionally charged beliefs. Tell them that you understand them and empathize with them. Don't tell them their concerns aren't real. Tell them you have a solution for their concerns.

I have never had someone trying to sell me something argue with me about the reality of a concern I've expressed about other providers of their products or services.

If anything, my "dog in the fight" should be on the anti PF side. I work out at a "regular" gym. I have never been to a PF and have no interest in going to one, as I want free weights and a squat cage, etc., and am fortunate enough to be able to afford a membership at a gym that has those things. And if people who have a preconception that everyone in my gym is mean and rude don't come to my gym, I'm OK with that. Because most people who are convinced that you are mean and rude before they meet you tend to be looking for things to take offense to, and will treat you the way they believe you are going to treat them. And I don't need that while I'm just trying to do my thing at the gym.