Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Options

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I always thought that they were using "lunk" to mean "show-off." I do think the ad with the women is a better example of that; calling it slut-shaming is a bit of a stretch, as the ad clearly frames their preening behavior in a negative light. The ad with the man does seem to equate physical fitness and training style with stupidity.

It seems reasonable to me that people who see themselves as in poor physical condition might THINK they will feel uncomfortable at a gym where people are focused on showing off and one-upping others. Ads like these play on their fears of inadequacy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have to ask - what's the problem with big water containers? I've never noticed anyone carrying around a big jug of water, but I wouldn't have paid any attention before this thread. I had no idea it was a thing.

It's one of PF's stereotypical "lunk" traits. You'll rarely ever see it anywhere but in their advertisements - just as you'll rarely ever see people (in any gym) slamming/throwing weights around, screaming at the top of their lungs, preening and calling each other "hottie" in the locker room, or getting in people's face while rubbing a towel back and forth through their groin. Those are all made up PF things intended to stereotype and ridicule people who are in good shape.

See, my gym doesn't even have a locker room. Just 5 big, single use bathrooms with showers. No sharing at all.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable to me that people who see themselves as in poor physical condition might THINK they will feel uncomfortable at a gym where people are focused on showing off and one-upping others. Ads like these play on their fears of inadequacy.

Suggesting that people who go to other gyms are likely to be into showing off and one-upping others and preening is hardly reasonable, and so I think this supports the idea that the ads are bad and spread misinformation that encourages people to think negatively about other gyms and the people who go there.

It's also simply false to claim that PF is screening out people who preen or try to one-up others or show off. Nothing in their policies would do that.

The "sluts must be shamed" thing was about the "no revealing clothes" policy, not the ads. When running outside in the summer on hotter days, I frequently see people in just sports bras as a top (often women running much faster than me). Guess PF would say that makes running outside intimidating and full of preening airheads, sigh.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No one can intimidate you without your consent. I'm there for the cardio. I couldn't give half a damn that some dude is grunting or dropping weights or that some dim bulb is strutting around in lycra looking for attention. I pay my money and I do my thing. That said, I was tempted by PF because it's inexpensive, but the jaw-dropping in your face F.U. of having candy jars on the front desk and pizza and bagels in the lobby was a definite dealbreaker. Some people are diabetic. Some people are food addicts. That sh isn't funny.
    That's the only reason I ever would consider signing up. Free pizza and bagels! :drinker:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    No one can intimidate you without your consent. I'm there for the cardio. I couldn't give half a damn that some dude is grunting or dropping weights or that some dim bulb is strutting around in lycra looking for attention. I pay my money and I do my thing. That said, I was tempted by PF because it's inexpensive, but the jaw-dropping in your face F.U. of having candy jars on the front desk and pizza and bagels in the lobby was a definite dealbreaker. Some people are diabetic. Some people are food addicts. That sh isn't funny.
    That's the only reason I ever would consider signing up. Free pizza and bagels! :drinker:

I dunno. Given what I pay at Anytime, the $10 a month is pretty attractive even without the free food.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Like I said upthread, that it might work with a particular target audience doesn't make it right. I'm not criticizing it because it doesn't work, I'm criticizing it because I think it's wrong, and they should be criticized for it.
  • jeanybughargrett
    Options
    I like Planet fitness- I appreciate any encouragement to move and stretch and exercise- and affordable for anyone-one in my neighborhood is nice clean and many people from all walks of life use it- nice to see a community coming together to improve health- I use it- and when nice out I don’t use it- only due to prefer outdoor exercise- only thing is I wish had more open floor space for just body weight exercise
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I think I'm going to sign up at PF. I lift regular free weights at home. But if I didn't i could get by with dumbbells. I like using barbells for squats and deadlifts but I would be ok using dumbbells. Plus I could use the smith machine for hip thrusts. I only want the PF membership through the winter so I can use the treadmills when it's snowy and icy out. I've been really bummed out all week because i haven't been able to run at all, and I won't risk running and slipping on ice. The marketing is stupid and the rules are stupid and all that, but I literally only need it for the treadmills, and it's cheap, and it's 5 minutes from my office, so there's that.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    There's a workout room in my office building that I used before I joined my gym that offers me everything PF could, and which requires only a one time fee, so if you work here long it's way cheaper than PF (I think I have now paid under 40 cents per month for it), but as a source of a treadmill in the winter, if it happens to be convenient, I think PF could be perfect.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    to poo poo the advertisements of pf is to deny that oppressive culture that was - initially - born and bred in gyms. even w signs "no women allowed" - and that is really very offensive to women in general. to not want to admit that gyms all over the world are fighting to change the culture in gyms...makes me want to ask you are you a cave man in denial or just live under a rock?

I get what you're saying but I guess the point is that it should be possible to aim for gyms to be less intimidating, without stereotyping other groups of gym users