Thanksgiving splurge?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    My favorite is the strawberry jello pretzel "salad". In my family that is considered a thanksgiving side dish lol. But yea, I plan to eat as much as my stomach can hold!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the best recipes are the ones found in the older, more traditional cookbooks.

That's because they use lots of butter and lard instead of "healthy" substitutions. So much better! :)
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    My favorite is the strawberry jello pretzel "salad". In my family that is considered a thanksgiving side dish lol. But yea, I plan to eat as much as my stomach can hold!

What is this wizardry?! I'm imagining a sweet, salty gelatinous ... thing.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Yas!!! Homemade is the best. My favorite is to make the dough and then form the bun around some cheese and garlic sausage. Of course, that's not a traditional Thanksgiving food, but it's my favorite homemade bun.

Back in grade school the hot lunches were sensitive to the dietary restrictions of Catholic students so Fridays were either fish or cheese (fish sticks, tuna casserole, mac and cheese, etc). The absolutely best day was when they made cheese buns. Homemade buttery yeast dough wrapped around a chunk of cheddar cheese and baked, then brushed with more butter. When they started baking, the smell would waft throughout the building so our mouths were watering long before we got in line.

One of the hospitals here make fresh cheese buns every Friday morning. They are made like a cinnamon bun, but with cheese instead of the brown sugar and butter layer, so there is lots of gooey cheese intermingled with layers of fresh bread. Yum.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Recipe please. I am always in charge of the dinner rolls but have yet to find a recipe that is "just right". My Kitchenaid gets dusted off a few times per year too, mostly around Christmas but always at Thanksgiving and occasionally Easter if we have a family dinner.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the best recipes are the ones found in the older, more traditional cookbooks.

That's because they use lots of butter and lard instead of "healthy" substitutions. So much better! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egCJwXOT890
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I make a pretty mean jalapeno-cranberry sauce.

Anything jalapeño! 🙌🏻 I’ve never heard of jalapeño cranberry - but I will check it out!
    It may become a new item for us - thanks!
    ☺️
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »

It is quite a delight

5dkdvxatvtgg.jpg
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Mm, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, stuffing, and of course, copious amounts of pie!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »

It is quite a delight

5dkdvxatvtgg.jpg

I want this.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Deep fried turkey. I love it!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Do you have a Joy of Cooking? Their yeast rolls and quick rolls are all good. Quick rolls are tasty but small.

Cream biscuits are easy and tasty, but do not use yeast so are smaller than yeast rolls: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235613/how-to-make-cream-biscuits/
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    3 parts to Thanksgiving I am looking forward to:

Breakfast mimosas

Stuffing made with pork sausage, apricots, cranberries, fresh herbs and walnuts

Dessert which will probably include a decadent chocolate macadamia pie

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,051 Member
    AFAIK at this point I will (again) be spending Thanksgiving at home with my cats LOL (sounds way worse than it actually is), so will get myself a special "treat" or two, and just veg out for the day and enjoy those things. Chances are, considering the things I like as "treats" my overall calories probably won't be bad at all LOL
  • kshama2001
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Stuffing is also my favorite part of Thanksgiving! I think this year I'm going to make sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans along with a few other homemade things. The rolls though, those HAVE to be King Sweet Hawaiian rolls! No exceptions.
    g1d9kdzrx17c.jpeg

And Quik, you crazy for thinking oily Cool Whip is better than Ready Whip or homemade.

You crazy for picking Stove Top over Pepperidge Farms :p

PF-9435-HerbBagStuffing-14oz.jpg
  • kshama2001
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is fast approaching (in the States. Our Canadian friends already celebrated). What is the Thanksgiving splurge that you are most looking forward to? I plan on eating ALL THE THINGZ, with zero *kittens* given. However, I make this Samoa pie and I plan to stuff myself on it! Although my 14-year-old has said I need to make two, because he plans to eat one all by himself. :D

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

Recipe please?

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a50134/samoa-pie-recipe/

ea6dcec40d3bcdfd14a193212fa68953fc9fa84e91ca91b79ad48aabe05ffcf7.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    AFAIK at this point I will (again) be spending Thanksgiving at home with my cats LOL (sounds way worse than it actually is), so will get myself a special "treat" or two, and just veg out for the day and enjoy those things. Chances are, considering the things I like as "treats" my overall calories probably won't be bad at all LOL

Hey I think we are all meeting up at pinups! I got the ham, quick silver the pie, pinup the rolls and cinnamon rolls. What are you bringing? Lol🤣