Thanksgiving splurge?

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    AFAIK at this point I will (again) be spending Thanksgiving at home with my cats LOL (sounds way worse than it actually is), so will get myself a special "treat" or two, and just veg out for the day and enjoy those things. Chances are, considering the things I like as "treats" my overall calories probably won't be bad at all LOL

Hey I think we are all meeting up at pinups! I got the ham, quick silver the pie, pinup the rolls and cinnamon rolls. What are you bringing? Lol🤣

Uhmm, I might need to inform my family of this little plan :lol:
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Green bean casserole with lots of fried onions.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I won't be with my family this year so it'll be whatever the boyfriend's family is having. I'm not a big fan of "holiday" food except the turkey and the roast. Pumpkin pie is good, but just the filling.

Okay honestly, the beer and the wine. A 6 pack for dinner and a bottle for dessert.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is fast approaching (in the States. Our Canadian friends already celebrated). What is the Thanksgiving splurge that you are most looking forward to? I plan on eating ALL THE THINGZ, with zero *kittens* given. However, I make this Samoa pie and I plan to stuff myself on it! Although my 14-year-old has said I need to make two, because he plans to eat one all by himself. :D

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

I need this recipe...
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I will indulge in stuffing, mashed potatoes, and berry pie. I normally dont eat those foods but once a year is ok. I dont plan on going crazy though as I don't want to be in a food coma.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    g1d9kdzrx17c.jpeg

Since my Mom passed, Dad has tried making her stuffing but it never comes out right, so we just do the stove top now and I really like it.

Oh crap. I'm Canadian so I can't post in this thread. Sorry @quiksylver296
    pinuplove wrote: »
    g1d9kdzrx17c.jpeg

Since my Mom passed, Dad has tried making her stuffing but it never comes out right, so we just do the stove top now and I really like it.

Apologizing for something that's not your fault, in true Canadian fashion :lol: I bet she'll allow it anyway. She's a nice guy. Uh, gal that is.

:laugh: Y'all are hilarious. You Canadians may reminisce about the foods you already had.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving is fast approaching (in the States. Our Canadian friends already celebrated). What is the Thanksgiving splurge that you are most looking forward to? I plan on eating ALL THE THINGZ, with zero *kittens* given. However, I make this Samoa pie and I plan to stuff myself on it! Although my 14-year-old has said I need to make two, because he plans to eat one all by himself. :D

4e77wqq4y5qd.jpg

I need this recipe...

Keep reading!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The dinner I make isn't that splurgey but the amount pumpkin and banana bread I am planning to consume is going to be obscene.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Stuffing is also my favorite part of Thanksgiving! I think this year I'm going to make sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans along with a few other homemade things. The rolls though, those HAVE to be King Sweet Hawaiian rolls! No exceptions.

won540g0oc36.jpeg

And Quik, you crazy for thinking oily Cool Whip is better than Ready Whip or homemade.

Just sit there in your wrongness, @MoHousdon.

jnped3qj6bep.jpeg

Crescent rolls are fine, but I prefer King's Sweet Hawaiian!

I also love a GREAT homemade soft fluffy dinner roll! I just don't know anyone that can make them. :disappointed:
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    @steveko89 Aww, congrats to you guys! :smile:

My husband and I are usually the ones doing the cooking (we like it that way - trust me, if your in-laws cooked like mine you would too :lol: ). We have dinner in the late afternoon/early evening and I'm typically on my feet running around ALL day. I figure that helps offset some of the turkey and stuffing!

For the last three years, hubby is in charge of the turkey cuz he smokes it in the smoker. So freaking good!

Smoked turkey is AMAZING!!! It does not, however, make good leftover turkey and noodles. Found that out the hard way one year. :grimace:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Pretty much my entire family went vegan this year, and my in laws only eat lasagna for thanksgiving (no they aren’t Italian, they’re Jewish) so I don’t know what I’ll end up doing. My husband isn’t big into thanksgiving because of the lasagna thing. I’m thinking maybe some slow cooker turkey thighs and some sides? And that pie, definitely that pie. Is making a full turkey worth it? I’ve never made one before:..

Figure out which restaurants will be open and let someone else do the cooking, if you're not doing the family thing! Then have a dessert bar at home :smiley:

Turkeys can be tricky. There's a narrow window between food poisoning and shoe leather :tongue: If you do decide to try your hand, I recommend a good meat thermometer and Alton Brown's turkey survival guide https://altonbrown.com/thanksgiving-turkey-survival-guide/
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Stuffing is also my favorite part of Thanksgiving! I think this year I'm going to make sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans along with a few other homemade things. The rolls though, those HAVE to be King Sweet Hawaiian rolls! No exceptions.

won540g0oc36.jpeg

And Quik, you crazy for thinking oily Cool Whip is better than Ready Whip or homemade.

jnped3qj6bep.jpeg

I also love a GREAT homemade soft fluffy dinner roll! I just don't know anyone that can make them. :disappointed:

We have a local restaurant that makes amazing rolls. I wonder if they'd sell me a dozen for Thanksgiving?!? :o
  • quiksylver296
    Options

My husband and I are usually the ones doing the cooking (we like it that way - trust me, if your in-laws cooked like mine you would too :lol: ). We have dinner in the late afternoon/early evening and I'm typically on my feet running around ALL day. I figure that helps offset some of the turkey and stuffing!

For the last three years, hubby is in charge of the turkey cuz he smokes it in the smoker. So freaking good!

Smoked turkey is AMAZING!!! It does not, however, make good leftover turkey and noodles. Found that out the hard way one year. :grimace:

Why not? That seems weird. (I've never done leftover turkey and noodles.)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Figure out which restaurants will be open and let someone else do the cooking, if you're not doing the family thing! Then have a dessert bar at home :smiley:

Turkeys can be tricky. There's a narrow window between food poisoning and shoe leather :tongue: If you do decide to try your hand, I recommend a good meat thermometer and Alton Brown's turkey survival guide https://altonbrown.com/thanksgiving-turkey-survival-guide/

Hey didn’t think about that, what a good idea lol! Thanks 👍
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Chipotle sweet potatoes and stuffing

Bro... send me that recipe!

Google Bobby Flay Chipotle Sweet Potatoes---that's the recipe my family has used for years!
  • MoHousdon
    edited October 2018
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    No no no! Homemade rolls! I have to dust off my Kitchen-aid mixer a couple of times a year or I feel sorry for it...

qw1c1j5ih00t.jpg

Yas!!! Homemade is the best. My favorite is to make the dough and then form the bun around some cheese and garlic sausage. Of course, that's not a traditional Thanksgiving food, but it's my favorite homemade bun.

Back in grade school the hot lunches were sensitive to the dietary restrictions of Catholic students so Fridays were either fish or cheese (fish sticks, tuna casserole, mac and cheese, etc). The absolutely best day was when they made cheese buns. Homemade buttery yeast dough wrapped around a chunk of cheddar cheese and baked, then brushed with more butter. When they started baking, the smell would waft throughout the building so our mouths were watering long before we got in line.

I've had those!!! I don't remember when or where, but I have had them! SO. Freaking. Good!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    g1d9kdzrx17c.jpeg

I agree! I have had cornbread stuffing, fancy oyster stuffing (barf), sausage stuffing, etc. Just give me Stove Top and lots of it! Made with chicken broth instead of water and REAL butter!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

won540g0oc36.jpeg

jnped3qj6bep.jpeg

We have a local restaurant that makes amazing rolls. I wonder if they'd sell me a dozen for Thanksgiving?!? :o

I think you mean 2 dozen so you can send a dozen to your bestie in KS. :wink:
  • MoHousdon
    Options

Why not? That seems weird. (I've never done leftover turkey and noodles.)

It tasted like cigarettes and noodles! :sick: