edited November 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Where are you again @7lenny7

@mbaker566 Just south of Minneapolis.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it doesn't look like there is canicross specifically but iron doggy has a few runs listed as dog friendly

otherwise, roadtrip! to SE Wisconsin

there might be others. check canicross usa on facebook. there are chapters all over the country.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    it doesn't look like there is canicross specifically but iron doggy has a few runs listed as dog friendly

otherwise, roadtrip! to SE Wisconsin

there might be others. check canicross usa on facebook. there are chapters all over the country.

I did find that Iron Doggy link. Unfortunately every one of those MN races is paved.

I did see all those canicross races in Kenosha. My son is going to school at Marquette, and we have good friends in Pleasant Prairie so it's a natural destination for us, but it looks like canicross requires a pulling harness? Kody runs at heel, a step or two behind me, which is how I plan on keeping it. If they'd let me run with a normal short leash I'd considered it. When Kody has to take to stop to do his business, he stops NOW. If he was strapped to my waist I'd probably fall backwards. When I use a leash I hold it loose in my hand so if he stops, it slips through, I don't get hurt and he doesn't get dragged.

I'll have to ask the local trail running group.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7
    technically, yes, there is a harness but it is not required for the kenosha area races. i just did the trail dog distance classic.
    some people ran without them attached to a belt as well. i have a slip harness but not a pulling harness. the bungee helps absorb some of the speed changes. i saw just regular people running on regular leashes. one guy ran on collar and retractable leash :smirk:
    other running clubs, i couldn't speak to, but the director here wants to get people interest but understands all the gear isn't for everyone.
    typically, the dogs run in front as that is the canicross style. they are supposed to pull. that is the job. it was started to keep sled dogs in shape. i think i saw some running close and not pulling though
    our loop had an elevation gain of 200ft for the 4.5mi. you could do 2 laps for the official race. though some people ran earlier during pheasant hunting and did more loops unofficially.
    for those interested, here is the link to the gallery
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    8k run today, but. Sigh. I didn't have any bananas before going out, so I had a piece of bread with a bit of honey. It worked yesterday, but today I decided to tackle my hill. Bad idea. Hill combined with bread sitting in my tummy meant I got to 7.5k and just couldn't keep going. I'm so disappointed because its only another 0.5k to get today's target but meh sometimes *kitten* happens.

Tomorrow is a 13k run, so I must get some bananas tonight.

Omgoodness I really think you and I could have been separated at birth sometimes. I actually considered hitting my husband over the back of the head with a saucepan a few days ago when I saw him happily grab and eat the last banana the night before my long run. I've found in an emergency I can switch my pre-run banana for a small cereal bar and it hasn't given me any trouble yet, but I have since put up a large sign in the kitchen forbidding consumption of last remaining banana from fruit bowl without consulting me first!

bahaha love it. I have an arrangement that I keep a secret stash of bananas inthe pantry, high up so the kids cant get them. its my responsibility to keep it stocked. so sadly I cannot blame hubby, its completely my own fault if there aren't any there. which reminds me, must get bananas...
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    4 miles this evening. 37F with 26mph north wind. Didn't want to go out, but since it wasn't raining, I promised myself this morning I would go. Hated breathing through the balakclava, but was necessary when going against the wind. Pulled it off going with the wind. Wasn't fun, but got it done :s
    exercise.png

may have to run in the cold (and rain) tomorrow, body already dreading...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    4 miles this evening. 37F with 26mph north wind. Didn't want to go out, but since it wasn't raining, I promised myself this morning I would go. Hated breathing through the balakclava, but was necessary when going against the wind. Pulled it off going with the wind. Wasn't fun, but got it done :s
    exercise.png

may have to run in the cold (and rain) tomorrow, body already dreading...

What happened to autumn? I just got my long sleeved shirts and capris out, now I'm wearing a buff, a jacket, ear warmers, and full length tights! Memphis literally went from the 90s to the 50s overnight with not a single day of moderate temperatures, and then into the twenties a week later. Since I missed running in spring due to my knee injury and went straight from winter to summer, I'm feeling gypped!

Autumn was canceled this year. There was not enough money in the budget for it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Today I got to run 3.72 miles. It was rough. Dry, but very cold and windy. My clothes just weren’t doing it for me for a few reasons, my legs felt like dead weights, and I just felt crummy the whole time. My left ankle started hurting early in the run and is still hurting on and off several hours later.

I was trying to decide if this counts as my worst run ever, but considering that even after an unwisely long nap, dinner, and two episodes of ridiculous TV I’m still feeling demoralized I think the answer is a solid yes. I know bad runs are part of the game, but this one shook me pretty bad.

NOVEMBER MILES:
    11/1 Th - 0:40:01 - 3.76
    11/2 Fr - rest
    11/3 Sa - 0:30:46 - 2.93
    11/4 Su - rest
    11/5 Mo - 0:55:43 - 5.07
    11/6 Tu - rest
    11/7 We - 0:43:29 - 3.70
    11/8 Th - rest
    11/9 Fr - 0:42:05 - 3.63
    11/10 Sa
    11/11 Su
    11/12 Mo - 0:41:59 - 3.72

November Total: 22.81/75 miles

Races! (italics under consideration)
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K Chip time: 1:05:14
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon Chip time: 2:29:25
    November 24: Mustache Run 10K
    December 8: Reindeer Run 15K

I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad" run. There are good runs, better runs, and great runs.
    Keep your head up and hang in there.

Well, this one definitely counted as a "good" run then. :)