November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    I raise elephant ears (plants) hundreds of them. Two times a year they are 'herded' either inside or outside, according to the weather. As they do not like the cold temperatures, I now have them in their winter pen (basement).

So, that is really cool, but may I ask why you have "hundreds of them"? Some medicinal thing or you just love them that much? Something else?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    UGH!

So we had lunch after church, which I forgot about. Normally I pack a lunch cause potluck + gluten intolerance is never a good mixture. Well, my wife at least made GF brownies so I snagged a... well let's just say "more than one" - but then, of course, I am playing with fire cause gotta worry about the blood sugar spike too. Yay! :)

I find an excuse and bail for home. Put some of my FAMOUS KETCHUP LOVING all-beef hot dogs on to get protein in me and then I notice the weather. 45 and SUNNY. Not a lot of time for a run, so I pull the hot dogs early (they are precooked anyways) wolf them down (skipping ketchup for time, was really pressed) and head out. Managed 11 miles. Was hoping for another HM, try to do at least a couple a week, but gotta obey the all mighty clock!

Well, my top apparently got bunched up under my Wunjo hydration vest and rubbed the whole time and I did not notice till I got home and caught my back in the mirror. Red welt a good 4 inches in width (no, did not take pictures, sheesh). Ever try to take a shower and NOT get your back wet and still try to wash shoulder length hair? Yeah, good luck with that. Good thing I am stubborn and have a high pain tolerance.

Oh, and we have a salt-based water softener... so yeah... water is a bit salty in the raw wound.

yep laughing at you here too.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 No pasta! Oh no! That is one of my favorite foods.

I have tried just about every "diet" out there. The low carb ones were the most effective in weight loss for me, but I couldn't maintain eating that way forever. So, I now just have everything in moderation (most of the time LOL).

Moderation in moderation.. Love it!

I have tried just about every "diet" out there. The low carb ones were the most effective in weight loss for me, but I couldn't maintain eating that way forever. So, I now just have everything in moderation (most of the time LOL).

In college, we used to say "Everything in moderation, especially moderation."
    That was a time with a younger more resilient body and less wisdom of course. :)

You didn't go to college with Oscar Wilde by chance, did you?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

In college, we used to say "Everything in moderation, especially moderation."
    That was a time with a younger more resilient body and less wisdom of course. :)

You didn't go to college with Oscar Wilde by chance, did you?

Slightly before my time... :smiley:
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    UGH!

So we had lunch after church, which I forgot about. Normally I pack a lunch cause potluck + gluten intolerance is never a good mixture. Well, my wife at least made GF brownies so I snagged a... well let's just say "more than one" - but then, of course, I am playing with fire cause gotta worry about the blood sugar spike too. Yay! :)

I find an excuse and bail for home. Put some of my FAMOUS KETCHUP LOVING all-beef hot dogs on to get protein in me and then I notice the weather. 45 and SUNNY. Not a lot of time for a run, so I pull the hot dogs early (they are precooked anyways) wolf them down (skipping ketchup for time, was really pressed) and head out. Managed 11 miles. Was hoping for another HM, try to do at least a couple a week, but gotta obey the all mighty clock!

Well, my top apparently got bunched up under my Wunjo hydration vest and rubbed the whole time and I did not notice till I got home and caught my back in the mirror. Red welt a good 4 inches in width (no, did not take pictures, sheesh). Ever try to take a shower and NOT get your back wet and still try to wash shoulder length hair? Yeah, good luck with that. Good thing I am stubborn and have a high pain tolerance.

Oh, and we have a salt-based water softener... so yeah... water is a bit salty in the raw wound.

Yeesh that sounds painful.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    UGH!

Yeesh that sounds painful.

Oh, you should try it some time. It does wonders for clearing the mind... ;)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    3.51 miles of recovery after yesterday's disaster run. Kept reminding myself to slow down and work on running form as I tend to hunch forward a little when I run.

Total of 20.43/74 for the month.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    Got 6.2 miles in! Had to skip our usual walk afterwards due to time constraints and now my calf is hurting. Fingers crossed that it's just sore and not a problem with the cyst. Icing / compressing just in case.

Sooo tired! In laws are entertaining themselves tomorrow so we can rest!

Yay for run. Stink about no walk and glad your in laws are giving you a rest
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Well done on your distance PB!! Love it. I like jelly beans on long runs. They keep you amused for a long time. :smile: I should try jelly babies too.

Wishing patience and healing to @MobyCarp and @katharmonic and @rheddmobile

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Sorry about your injury, but glad you were able to finish your race. Love the jacket swag! Hope your hamstring feels better this morning.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent -ouch - the shower BURNS those injuries!
    @MobyCarp - great race report! Hope the hamstring is better soon.

Fun, but busy weekend for me. Had to rest yesterday due to open house at the high school where I teach and needing to get stuff done (including seeing new baby!) This morning I had an awesome 5 mile run. The weather was great and I felt so good. Probably lifting this afternoon.

Getting ready for the Holiday streak! Just a couple weeks away!

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - rest day
    11/3 - 44 miles cycling + transform app - deload week, arms
    11/4 - 3 miles + transform app - deload - legs
    11/5 - 4 miles + transform app - deload - back
    11/6 - 4 miles + transform app.- deload legs
    11/7 - Transform App - Chest, arms
    11/8 - Transform App - Glutes and legs
    11/9 - Transform App - back/arms
    11/10 - 44 miles cycling
    11/11 - rest day
    11/12 - 5 miles + tbd

exercise.png
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,764 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp well done on your race! I hope the hamstring gets better soon.

@rheddmobile I am so glad you got your run in and will have some rest. I hope your calf is ok.

@AlphaHowls those plants are gorgeous.

@PastorVincent OUCH!!

Got major DOMS in my legs from yesterday's lifting so it'll be walking for me today. I will see if I am ok on the arm crank erg and try that if I am.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who raced, ran, walked, or took it easy this weekend! I was firmly in camp #4 - my husband decided go out of town for the weekend and took the dog with him, and with closing on Wednesday there wasn’t much for me to do but actually bill some hours on my day job and relax. Technically I supposed I could have done some packing, but we’re having friends over next weekend and are planning on a big packing party on Saturday, so I think we’ll be okay. Plus we have our rental through the end of the month so we've got wiggle room if we don't have everything ready for the movers.

I’ve been stressed out about how low my hours have been for the last month, even though my bosses have been totally fine with it, so it felt good to get some solid billing in. Plus I rediscovered a favorite TV show that was perfect for watching while working, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and binge watched the entire third season on Netflix. It’s a completely ridiculous time-travel super hero show along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor: Ragnarok with a much smaller budget but better hand-to-hand fighting if you're into that kind of thing, which I am. Also they rescued John Constantine from the canceled NBC show and both let him smoke like a chimney AND be openly bisexual, which makes me a very happy nerd.

I had planned on running yesterday but the sidewalks were so bad Saturday evening when I went to get dinner that I decided against it - we’ve been having regular flurries in sub-freezing temperatures so the ice was as bad as it usually gets around here. When I’m having trouble keeping my footing walking in my Columbia boots I don’t feel bad about skipping the run. I do plan on going out today - there’s supposed to be some sun around noon and I figure I’ll keep to and out-and-back on the greenway. And now that I’ve told you all I’m going to do it, I’ve got to!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It was 47 degrees when I started running this morning. It was so wonderful! I only got regular people sweaty. Woot! Temps in the 40s (Fahrenheit) is officially my favorite running weather. :)

@amymoreorless I can totally relate to the "regular people sweaty"!! I joke that my husband "glistens" and I sweat. It's super annoying when I look like I went for a swim and he's got like 2 beads of sweat on his forehead!
  • martaindale
    Options
    I'm going to have to lay down the law with my in-laws and explain that we can't entertain them 24/7 for five days with no warning... I can't eat out 2 times a day at fatty restaurants, not be allowed time to shop or cook, not work out, and not sleep. Good lord. I ate less than 1000 calories the two days I was sick in bed and have already burned through that deficit. I can't even eat my normal breakfast this morning because I wasn't able to get free until after 11 pm when our grocery closes so I have no cottage cheese and no milk to make oatmeal so we are supposedly having bacon and eggs. Everyone wants BBQ and to try Five Guys which isn't in their area today. People, I can do ONE of those in a day, not both, only IF I run, not otherwise. And they are only letting me get six hours sleep so I can't get up earlier to run. I'm about ten seconds away from saying that sounds nice, you and your parents have fun, meanwhile I'll be doing my long run elsewhere. My health is not optional and I worked hard for it. Also, my husband is going to get fired if they don't let him work - they don't understand that "work from home" doesn't mean you can skip a week and still get paid.

That's so hard! I definitely empathize with the difficulties you are having fitting your life into other people's schedule. I used to feel bad turning down invitations. As someone who is highly scheduled, including my meals, I finally realized that my pattern of gaining and losing weight and getting sidetracked from my fitness goals just means that I HAVE to stick to my schedule most of the time. My in-laws and my husband have sort of gotten used to me passing on going out to eat if they want to do it on a day I haven't planned for it. Keeps me from feeling guilty or stressing at the restaurant about what I can eat that fits in my calorie target. Maybe it makes me a bit more boring, but I am such a creature of habit that dropping my plan for more than a few days usually just leads to me stopping altogether. I try to plan for unusual circumstances or holidays of course, but it is still definitely a challenge. I hope you guys can get it figured out and you can get some sleep and maybe a run or 2 in!!
  • martaindale
    Options

Big hugs. I'm a people pleaser from way back and would bend over backwards to accomo people, putting my own needs last. All that happened was I got resentful, angry, overweight,and full of anxiety.

"no" is an amaze word. "no we can't go out, but you go, have fun". "no we can't stay up late, turn off the lights before you go to bed" "no you can't stay a week without notice, here is the name of a hotel or local air bnb, meet you for lunch"

Oh and the occasional yes is great - to yourself "yes I am going on my long run, no matter what"

Remember this is your home, your routine. You are not rude for not wanting to change that at the drop of a hat, THEY ARE for expecting it.

I'm All about family and doing things together. And if my family showed up for a few days great! But unless it's pre arranged or a very special Reason, I'm Not bending over for them. My health and sanity come first.

So yes, talk to hubby, set your boundaries and stick to them. And when they as why, don't give any of excuses, just be a broken record and say no.

YES!! It is definitely liberating!!