November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Excellent points, @PastorVincent!

What works for one runner may or may not work for another runner.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

@garygse Bravo on your marathon PB!!

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

Say, you did this almost unfueled?

Do you believe in this "fat adaptation" stuff from the LCHF evangelists?

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

Personally, I think your last line is spot on.

edit: missed a name!

It is not "woo" science (as someone up thread said), look at people like @JessicaMcB who do it exclusively. The thing is though humans are a very biologically diverse species, far more than we give credit for, so not all things work as well for all people.

In general, each person needs to learn their body and work with it for best results.

The laws of physics do not work selectively. :smile:

Yes, you feel like crap when your glycogen is depleted. I'm not convinced ketoers don't feel like crap all the time.

The laws of physics are not the issue, biochemistry is. I spent years on LCHF and it was some of my healthiest years. I regained so much lost health and strength that it literally turned my life around medically. Diabetics pretty much have to live that way.

To say that everyone one reacts the same way to food is to turn a blind eye to medical science and common sense. I can eat a potato and register no blood spike on a meter, another person will register a major blood sugar spike. If my wife gets a nut, she chokes and could die, while I eat nuts daily. I am immune to novicane, while others are not. If I eat wheat, I get ill for WEEKS, and yet you probably eat all the bread you want without issue. My father drinks coffee to help him sleep, while others drink it to wake them up. If my wife drink DECAF coffee she cannot sleep right, never mind caffeinated. She has to take 1/2 to 1/3 the normal dose of medicines because she is a "slow metabolizer."

We are biologically and biochemically a diverse species. Medical science is clear on that. So while you personally do not like LCHF, that does not change that for a decent portion of the population it works well and better than the HCLF diet, or the so-called "balanced" diet that is 50% sugar.

Sure, drop us out of a plane without proper equipment and we all die - but give us all nuts and only some die. That is the difference between a law of physics like gravity, and biochemistry. :)

Well said.

All the foods on my no-no list are there because they make me feel bad, mostly cause migraines in my case.

Pasta makes me just sick feeling. I dont know why. I can have some wheat bread with no soy, no nuts, no seeds and no tapioca so its probably not a gluten issue. I can have almonds though. I can't do sulfites or nitrites/nitrates. So no preserved meats and no dried fruit.

I like fat. I've always been a texture eater. I'll pass on the sugars. But love crunch, earthy, gooey, and beef and good cheese, which can give me a migraine if its aged. And chocolate is a double whammy, chocolate and soy.

So, my "diet" has really chosen me. The lchf is a better choice for me.

Meds, i have a high tolerance for pain killers. At the dentist or numbing me up for surgery its all they got to give for my weight. I cant take NSAID's. Gut disaster. I can have 2 sips of an alcoholic drink and feel it. Half a drink is all i can tolerate.

We are all so incredibly different in how our bodies handle the the same compounds.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

It is not "woo" science (as someone up thread said), look at people like @JessicaMcB who do it exclusively. The thing is though humans are a very biologically diverse species, far more than we give credit for, so not all things work as well for all people.

In general, each person needs to learn their body and work with it for best results.

Yes, you feel like crap when your glycogen is depleted. I'm not convinced ketoers don't feel like crap all the time.

The laws of physics are not the issue, biochemistry is. I spent years on LCHF and it was some of my healthiest years. I regained so much lost health and strength that it literally turned my life around medically. Diabetics pretty much have to live that way.

To say that everyone one reacts the same way to food is to turn a blind eye to medical science and common sense. I can eat a potato and register no blood spike on a meter, another person will register a major blood sugar spike. If my wife gets a nut, she chokes and could die, while I eat nuts daily. I am immune to novicane, while others are not. If I eat wheat, I get ill for WEEKS, and yet you probably eat all the bread you want without issue. My father drinks coffee to help him sleep, while others drink it to wake them up. If my wife drink DECAF coffee she cannot sleep right, never mind caffeinated. She has to take 1/2 to 1/3 the normal dose of medicines because she is a "slow metabolizer."

We are biologically and biochemically a diverse species. Medical science is clear on that. So while you personally do not like LCHF, that does not change that for a decent portion of the population it works well and better than the HCLF diet, or the so-called "balanced" diet that is 50% sugar.

Sure, drop us out of a plane without proper equipment and we all die - but give us all nuts and only some die. That is the difference between a law of physics like gravity, and biochemistry. :)

Well said.

All the foods on my no-no list are there because they make me feel bad, mostly cause migraines in my case.

Pasta makes me just sick feeling. I dont know why. I can have some wheat bread with no soy, no nuts, no seeds and no tapioca so its probably not a gluten issue. I can have almonds though. I can't do sulfites or nitrites/nitrates. So no preserved meats and no dried fruit.

I like fat. I've always been a texture eater. I'll pass on the sugars. But love crunch, earthy, gooey, and beef and good cheese, which can give me a migraine if its aged. And chocolate is a double whammy, chocolate and soy.

So, my "diet" has really chosen me. The lchf is a better choice for me.

Meds, i have a high tolerance for pain killers. At the dentist or numbing me up for surgery its all they got to give for my weight. I cant take NSAID's. Gut disaster. I can have 2 sips of an alcoholic drink and feel it. Half a drink is all i can tolerate.

We are all so incredibly different in how our bodies handle the the same compounds.

And also things change over time as well. I'm a sweet tooth from way back, but I can only tolerate so much now before bloat, shakes, sleepiness and headaches kick in.

I used to have a higher tolerance for alcohol, but one drink now pretty much puts me to sleep. I have no issues with any meds that I know of (thank goodness).

But I have high LDL cholesterol, and have since my early 20s, even though I don't eat "high fat" products. I don't eat fat, chicken skin, rind on bacon or anything like that. I used to rarely eat butter.

I now have a normal LDL, i eat all the butter, have a slightly more savory pallet. Tastes change.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

You rock!

My thoughts while reading the Burke 2015 study of the literature on LCHF and fat adaptation in Sports Medicine (Auckland, NZ)

Re-Examining High-Fat Diets for Sports Performance

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4672014/

TANSTAAFL

There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. Energy has to come from somewhere.

You “burn more fat” in ketosis only because you’re not burning carbs.

You still burn fat if you eat carbs, but the energy comes from carbs AND fat.

You burn the same amount of energy either way regardless.

The killer with keto is that fat takes 4 times more oxygen to burn compared to carbs ingested during a run. So you would pant more; breathe harder and faster. When I run out of glycogen this happens every time.

You access fat with a straw: you access carbs with a firehose.

Good analogy!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I should add to PV, I wasn't talking about individual dietary requirements.

I'm talking about optimum fuelling for endurance absent any health issues.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    11/1 = 18 miles
    11/2 = rest day
    11/3 = rest day
    11/4 = 16 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = rest day
    11/7 = 3 miles
    11/8 = rest day
    11/9 = 15 miles
    11/10 = 10 miles

November goal miles = ? / 74 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/15 = Stars at Night Half
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)
    5/4/18 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/18 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 No pasta! Oh no! That is one of my favorite foods.

I have tried just about every "diet" out there. The low carb ones were the most effective in weight loss for me, but I couldn't maintain eating that way forever. So, I now just have everything in moderation (most of the time LOL).
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I have tried just about every "diet" out there. The low carb ones were the most effective in weight loss for me, but I couldn't maintain eating that way forever. So, I now just have everything in moderation (most of the time LOL).

Yep. You gotta do what works for you. Despite what some people may claim, there is no one diet, no one way of eating that works for all. We are far too diverse of a species for that. :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    This morning, while my husband and daughter snored, I got up at 7am and went out to set myself a new distance PR of 13km. Might not seem a lot to those who run fast or are used to long distances, but at my pace that took me 1:39:12 (including 9 one minute walk breaks) and 7 jelly babies.
    I don't think I'm going to ever get round to trying the gels I bought to try, I'm worried they'll upset my stomach and I'll have nowhere to go, plus the jelly babies seem to work well and taste good enough to seem like prizes (little voice: "c'mon keep running, you get a jelly baby at the end of this kilometre").

Well done! Great effort! I'm sure you'll do just fine 4 weeks from now!

4th-Doc-Jellybaby_1280.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Ya I've heard that from pasta lovers!
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. A moderation type choice is probably the best/healthiest if you can moderate yourself.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy
    11-4 10.5k slow
    11-5 7k recovery
    11-6 Rest
    11-7 7k intervals
    11-8 7k easy
    11-9 Rest
    11-10 7k
    11-11 10.5k slow

November total: 63k
    November goal: 150k

Long slow run today in sunshine, no breeze and 28 degrees F. Saw snow geese flying south; guess winter is really just about here.