• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Awesome job!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal. ?

11/1-11/5 preparing for travel. travel. recover from travel. In Arizona visiting MIL
    11/6 8.25 at Rio Vista Park....slow/DRY warm miles
    11/7 played cards. Ate. Played cards. Did chores for MIL. Ate
    11/8 2.0
    11/9 more travel
    11/10 3.24 (plus a whole he!! of a lot of walking in Vegas to get to and from the race site...)
    11/11 6.08 (?short course. There weren't THAT many tangents to cut distance on....)
    11/12 more travel
    11/13 snorkel 4.5 hours
    11/14 screaming glutes
    11/15 3.30
    11/16 2.30

Total: 25.17

Upcoming races:
    Nov. 11, 2018 Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll 10k
    January 4, 2019 Hilo to Volcano Ultra 50k Relay. In memory of @keeprunningfatboy

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hello all! I didn't "join" this month, as I am on vacation, but I have been consistent with my 15K training, in fact, last week, I accomplished something that I didn't think I would do..in fact even that morning I attempted to talk myself out of! I ran 5 miles!! It has been cccccold up here, and the hills...I love it!! Not wanting to get on the plane on Monday morning.

I DO have a question to the experienced cold runners in the group here. In the past few weeks, I have gotten used to running in 20 & 30 F temps, (with feels like in teens), and last week, there was still some left over snow on yards, but we are expecting 1-2 inches of snow starting overnight & throughout the morning , with me having a scheduled 6 mile run tomorrow. I do not have access to a dreadmill, nor do I have cleats for my shoes. What do I need to do to run? I already have told myself not to expect too much, if I don't make the full 6 due to weather, then I have to accept it, but I want to stay as much on plan as possible. I have plans in the afternoon & evening, so a later run isn't really feasible

11/1 - 2.01
    11/6 - 4.01
    11/8 - 3.01
    11/10 - 5.01
    11/13 - 4.01
    11/15 - 3.10 miles - 21.16 mile

@dreamer12151 for me, in Minnesota, 1 to 2 inches of snow is still road shoes,so if you don't have trail shoes as others suggest, don't sweat it. I'd avoid screw shoes for snow. I'd only use those for extensive ice. Screw shoes are awesome for ice, but horrible without ice. For that bit of snow it's just not necessary.

If you're concerned about slipping, slow down and take shorter, quicker strides. Also don't make sudden turns without slowing way down. When it gets really icy I'll come to a stop before I turn.

Enjoy the fresh snow! That's my favorite time to run!

@avidkeo great race and a great report!

@contrarymarymary were you running a trail race? I must have missed that if you did. Awesome race!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    It was 47 degrees when I started running this morning. It was so wonderful! I only got regular people sweaty. Woot! Temps in the 40s (Fahrenheit) is officially my favorite running weather. :)

@amymoreorless I can totally relate to the "regular people sweaty"!! I joke that my husband "glistens" and I sweat. It's super annoying when I look like I went for a swim and he's got like 2 beads of sweat on his forehead!

@martaindale Woot! another "heavy glistening person" in this thread! I think @PastorVincent mentioned he was in this awesomely glistening group as well.... LOL

One lady in my running group consistently tells me I am blessed with an, "efficient cooling system". Ugh. She has the best intentions, however, I feel like it's a "bless your heart" kind of comment (if your from the Southern USA, you know what this means).

Yep me too and in the gym it is even worse than outside. My trainer says something similar but not in the 'bless your heart' tone. He just tells me it is because I am in great shape!

@Avidkeo - awesome job, great race report! Congratulations you did it!!

When I run in the gym, I literally (not figuratively) could not get any wetter than if I fell in a pool. People will KNOW I was on dreadmill, inside, and STILL ask if was caught in a storm. :D

I sweat like a horse. Because I know that I sweat so much, in the summer I'll weigh myself before and after a run. It's not unusual for me to lose 4 pounds in an hour of running.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo yay! So glad you enjoyed it! So....have you signed up for the next one yet? lol
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Congrats @Avidkeo !!!! And @ContraryMaryMary !!!!

10/29-11/4 Totals: bike 21.4 km, run 26.2 km
    11/5-11 Totals: bike 25.1 km, run 20.4 km
    11/12-18 Totals: bike 13.7 km, run 32.6 km

11/12 - run 14k
    11/13 - bike 11.2k, run 4k (5x400@5k pace +recovery)
    11/14 - rest
    11/15 - run 7.4k
    11/16 - rest / bike 2.5k
    11/17 - run 7.2k
    11/18 -

It was a little frosty this morning, some of my outdoor plants might be done for the season. I listened to the podcast with @JessicaMcB that @PastorVincent pointed out; there was some good info for the keto discussion we had recently on here.

Got home to find work being done on the house and the water is shut off. Hmmm. I need a shower before I go to work this afternoon...

CYCLING:
    exercise.png

RUNNING:
    exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    December 8: City Trail 5k
    January 12: City Trail 5k
    February 2-3: Lublin night 10k
    February 16: City Trail 5k
    March 23: City Trail 5k
    April 7: Lublin 10k (maybe)
    May 12: Lublin Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    It was 47 degrees when I started running this morning. It was so wonderful! I only got regular people sweaty. Woot! Temps in the 40s (Fahrenheit) is officially my favorite running weather. :)

@amymoreorless I can totally relate to the "regular people sweaty"!! I joke that my husband "glistens" and I sweat. It's super annoying when I look like I went for a swim and he's got like 2 beads of sweat on his forehead!

@martaindale Woot! another "heavy glistening person" in this thread! I think @PastorVincent mentioned he was in this awesomely glistening group as well.... LOL

One lady in my running group consistently tells me I am blessed with an, "efficient cooling system". Ugh. She has the best intentions, however, I feel like it's a "bless your heart" kind of comment (if your from the Southern USA, you know what this means).

Yep me too and in the gym it is even worse than outside. My trainer says something similar but not in the 'bless your heart' tone. He just tells me it is because I am in great shape!

When I run in the gym, I literally (not figuratively) could not get any wetter than if I fell in a pool. People will KNOW I was on dreadmill, inside, and STILL ask if was caught in a storm. :D

Yes me too... it is so embarrassing to have puddles on either side of the stationary bike or wonder if you should wipe down the sides of the treadmill (running boards?).

I wipe down every part of the dreadmill where hands might come in contact. So the contorl panel, the balance bars, and so on. I do not wear about parts that only sneakers come in contact with.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I sweat like a horse. Because I know that I sweat so much, in the summer I'll weigh myself before and after a run. It's not unusual for me to lose 4 pounds in an hour of running.

You might weigh less than me, so could be a percent thing, but I lost 4-5 pounds last night running in 33 degrees (over 2 hours), never mind summer! I have been known to lose 6-8 pounds per hour during summer.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Ummm... I ran... a little... finally got out of work early enough I could see the icy spots... but I just did loops, because I was trying to stay somewhere with little traffic, because I didn’t get out early enough to find my headlamp and see icy spots. accidentally found a block that was almost exactly .25 miles around it. 1 mile is better than no miles, right?

1 is better than zero. Getting out is better than not. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary congrats! Sounds like a wonderful corse. I would run it next year if I was a local! But switching to run a race with @Avidkeo would be cool too. Maybe she can come run the trail race with you? :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    I was supposed to run a 5k this am, but my partner has strep and I didn’t want to make the 1:20 drive alone and cold... so I will running a solo 10k at a local park. Wish me luck!!! I do better with people around me. Looks like I am a codependent runner :D

I haven’t ran over 5k since the Peachtree Road Race on 7/4/18. And TBH I walked part of it.

I have a 15k planned in feb and there are time requirements. I need to get my butt in gear.

@Beka3695 do you have a training plan to get up to the 15k distance? If a 5k is a bit much for you, you will need to train to hit three times that distance. You have plenty of time, but time has a way of escaping us. Especailly if you are here in the USA where we are entering our major holiday season (Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, and others I am sure).

If not you might try this one: https://www.halhigdon.com/training/15k-10-mile-training/
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @garygse Please update us on those shoes. I am actually very curious about the claims.

I got to try on a pair and for someone who pronates they are terrifying - like running on the blade of a skate. And they do feel like jumping up and down on a diving board. But I can see how they would be awesome for someone with solid running mechanics.

I don't have the pronation issue. But supposedly they make you faster. I saw a graph somewhere and I believe it's what the men were wearing when attempting to break 2 hours in the marathon.

Seems like a car would make me fast enough to break the 2 hours... and be a lot less work. ;)

I will never break 2 hours for a half but I will take every advantage I can and if that means $250 shoes? I want to make sure it's worth it first. LOL

'Cept they were talking about two hours for the FULL marathon. Insane.

Oh I am aware. I am just saying I can't break it for a half as comparison of how slow I am!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @contrarymarymary congrats on finishing a very difficult course!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will def take a look. I have been trying to just extend my distance a little each run, but nothing official. I am near Atlanta, so yes - In the USA and the holidays are unfortunately here (I am a Scrooge that doesn’t like the holidays)

I have a scheduled 10k on 12/8 and another in January.

NOT FAST BUT NOT LAST!!! That is my motto 😆

I love Georgia! We lived in Marietta for a few years way back. My dream would be to move to the Savannah area. Love the people and omg the FOOD!

I also am a scrooge for the holidays! I think its because they were never great growing up, and i lack that association most people have. And to buy stuff? Nah. I aint buying stuff. I'm keeping my money.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thank you!! I will def take a look. I have been trying to just extend my distance a little each run, but nothing official. I am near Atlanta, so yes - In the USA and the holidays are unfortunately here (I am a Scrooge that doesn’t like the holidays)

I love Georgia! We lived in Marietta for a few years way back. My dream would be to move to the Savannah area. Love the people and omg the FOOD!

I also am a scrooge for the holidays! I think its because they were never great growing up, and i lack that association most people have. And to buy stuff? Nah. I aint buying stuff. I'm keeping my money.

Just for you too then... Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Just for you too then... Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve Eve!

I dont get it.